ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Studying with tier1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vader666

Studying with tier1

Post by vader666 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:35 am

Ä°s studying for a master after getting Tier1 , possible ?

Also how to extend tier1 ?

thanks

ChetanOjha

Re: Studying with tier1

Post by ChetanOjha » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:28 pm

Yes you can study after Tier-1. You have to make sure that you earn enough salary to make it to the extension requirements.
vader666 wrote:Ä°s studying for a master after getting Tier1 , possible ?

Also how to extend tier1 ?

thanks

jaspreetnavy
Newly Registered

Post by jaspreetnavy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:25 am

These is very common question ask by lots of guyz I also want to study while holding tier 1.Some people says can study and some says cant.
Senior please help >>CAN WE STUDY WITH TIER 1?

s4salil

Post by s4salil » Tue May 18, 2010 2:03 pm

jaspreetnavy wrote:These is very common question ask by lots of guyz I also want to study while holding tier 1.Some people says can study and some says cant.
same question

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Tue May 18, 2010 3:22 pm

s4salil wrote:
jaspreetnavy wrote:These is very common question ask by lots of guyz I also want to study while holding tier 1.Some people says can study and some says cant.
same question

Why don't you all doubting people just send a simple email to the Home Office? It's definitely more productive than keeping asking some random people around.

My wife (Tier 1 General Partner) just finished her master's studies. Before she enrolled, we had asked British Embassy and the Home Office whether she could study. In both cases, the response was positive.

raghava39@rediffmail.com

Post by raghava39@rediffmail.com » Tue May 18, 2010 3:23 pm

Depends on which type of study you would like to undertake. If it is full time , the answer is NO. If it is part time, yes it is possible to study in case you have a permanent job. As in a contract job it is difficult to get permission to attend the classes

Thanks
RG

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Tue May 18, 2010 3:24 pm

raghava39@rediffmail.com wrote:Depends on which type of study you would like to undertake. If it is full time , the answer is NO. If it is part time, yes it is possible to study in case you have a permanent job. As in a contract job it is difficult to get permission to attend the classes

Thanks
RG
I would like to see a reference to a specific rule that prohibits full time study to tier 1 holders.

buzz_dilli

Post by buzz_dilli » Tue May 18, 2010 5:29 pm

"I would like to see a reference to a specific rule that prohibits full time study to tier 1 holders." - Agreed. I was not aware of any restriction either. Please can you share the email address to use for the home office for such questions. I would be more than happy to write to the home office about this and have this clarified, especially now that i have the visa issued this morning!
Thanks!
ukswus wrote:
raghava39@rediffmail.com wrote:Depends on which
type of study you would like to undertake. If it is full time , the answer is NO. If it is part time, yes it is possible to study in case you have a permanent job. As in a contract job it is difficult to get permission to attend the classes

Thanks
RG

pkumar
Member of Standing

Post by pkumar » Tue May 18, 2010 6:05 pm

Highly Skilled Visa
- Person is highly skilled (already) to work in high-end post.
- ILR they specifically look whether you were economically active for all 5 years

there are MANY things which are not mentioned in Tier - 1 rules ("do you get deported if you steal a watch versus car?") .... you need to read WHAT IS MENTIONED and not what is NOT mentioned ... it is mentioned that this visa is giving to Highly skilled working individual to work ....

bottomline ... you need to be at the minimum economically active and you can do 10 other things (including studies)

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Tue May 18, 2010 6:49 pm

buzz_dilli wrote:"I would like to see a reference to a specific rule that prohibits full time study to tier 1 holders." - Agreed. I was not aware of any restriction either. Please can you share the email address to use for the home office for such questions. I would be more than happy to write to the home office about this and have this clarified, especially now that i have the visa issued this morning!
Thanks!
ukswus wrote:
raghava39@rediffmail.com wrote:Depends on which
type of study you would like to undertake. If it is full time , the answer is NO. If it is part time, yes it is possible to study in case you have a permanent job. As in a contract job it is difficult to get permission to attend the classes

Thanks
RG
Try this: UKBApublicenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk

raghava39@rediffmail.com

Post by raghava39@rediffmail.com » Wed May 19, 2010 11:56 am

Home Office rules say that for Studying in UK (Full time) requires the individual to possess a Tier-4 Visa. Unless you have that college is not going to grant permission to study a full time course.

UKBA website should give the details

Thanks
RG

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 19, 2010 11:18 pm

ukswus wrote:
raghava39@rediffmail.com wrote:Depends on which type of study you would like to undertake. If it is full time , the answer is NO. If it is part time, yes it is possible to study in case you have a permanent job. As in a contract job it is difficult to get permission to attend the classes

Thanks
RG
I would like to see a reference to a specific rule that prohibits full time study to tier 1 holders.
And I would like to see where it says you can.

regards

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 19, 2010 11:26 pm

In absence of any published information on the subject, there are two options available:
1. As suggested above, write to UKBA and enquire beforehand.
2. Enrol in a course as full-time student. Then inform UKBA about it or ask someone to do it on your behalf.

Either way, you will know for sure!

This said, wrt to adult education (post-16 education) in UK from an immigration perspective, this is what UKBA states:
What is the Tier 4 (General) student category? wrote:The Tier 4 (General) category is for adult students who want to come to or remain in the UK for post-16 education.
[url=http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/studyingintheuk/adult-students/]Do you need to apply for Tier 4 student visa[/url]? wrote:You can study in the UK without needing to apply for a student visa if:
- you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland;
- you are a British overseas territories citizen, unless you are from one of the sovereign base areas in Cyprus;
- you are a Commonwealth citizen with permission to enter or stay in the UK because at least one of your grandparents was born here; or
- you have no conditions or time limit attached to your stay.
Just because UKBA doesn't get to know that you're studying on Tier 1 (General) visa doesn't essentially mean that it is allowed. Don't assume things as you may have to pay a heavy price. Check beforehand and then plan / do accordingly.

Hope this helps!

regards

maheshrvce

Post by maheshrvce » Thu May 20, 2010 1:47 pm

Full time study is not permitted in tier 1 Reasons are as below:

1)When you enroll into a college as a visa national your details are already sent to home office. They might also take a copy of your Tier 1 visa (which is a minimum they will do) and also might be informing the home office which means you are breaching the immigration rules and Home office is informed.

2)Say you are happily studying for 6 months on tier 1 visa and nothing happened. You go to India and then come back. Unless you tell the immigration officer that u are intending to work and looking for job he wont let you in. If you say you are studying he will immediatyely refuse entry and send you back becuase you are not observing the conditions of tier 1

Why dont you get a student visa if your intention is to study and then you always have the Tier 1 PSW option.

buzz_dilli

Post by buzz_dilli » Thu May 20, 2010 3:39 pm

- you have no conditions or time limit attached to your stay.
This definitely clarifies things for me.

I did send an email to UKBA seeking clarification for F/T or P/T study so when i get the response, i 'll post it here.
Why dont you get a student visa if your intention is to study and then you always have the Tier 1 PSW option

Does the term 'multitasking' ring a bell? :roll:

Cheers!

maheshrvce

Post by maheshrvce » Thu May 20, 2010 4:14 pm

As Indians we tend to think that since we have a tier 1 visa which is work why cant I also study in it. Unfortunately the immigration guys dont tend to think that way. In fact they dont even know what tier 1 is, apart from the fact it allows to work. I know a friend who was actually refused entry becuase she was going to study on tier1. How he came to know abt it is a different story.
The colleges are officially obliged to confirm the visa status of the student.If not in the beginning you might have problems at extension. As for multitasking I though it should actually mean working full time and then studying part time.

Today it is only one bell that rings but when you have an issue many bells will ring..unfortunately:)

maheshrvce

Post by maheshrvce » Thu May 20, 2010 4:17 pm

And for - "you have no conditions or time limit attached to your stay.". It means you have an Indefinite Leave to Remain or ILR which u get after 5 years. If you do have it then this question should not arise in the first place.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Thu May 20, 2010 9:47 pm

All I can tell you is that my wife (Tier 1 general partner) IS allowed to study. As I said, i got confirmation on this, in writing, both from the HO and British embassy. She also had no problem registering with the police, nor during our numerous interviews upon enering the UK at the airports.

Now, I admit there is a possibility that Tier 1 General MAIN applicants (as opposed to their dependants) may not be allowed to study full time (although I doubt it). For this, I specifically suggested writing directly to the Home Office, which is the ultimate way to establish the truth. What I don't agree with is the reasoning that you must absolutely possess Tier 4 in order to study, hence Tier 1 holders cannot study on this visa, by definition.

I know for a FACT this is not true.

sushdmehta wrote:
ukswus wrote:

Thanks
RG
And I would like to see where it says you can.

regards

maheshrvce

Post by maheshrvce » Thu May 20, 2010 10:37 pm

Hey ukswus,

Can you pls tell me how you got it in writing. Do you mean over email or you sent a letter and then got a reply? I have some issue as well but wonder they will reply to it in writing.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 20, 2010 11:17 pm

ukswus wrote:All I can tell you is that my wife (Tier 1 general partner) IS allowed to study. As I said, i got confirmation on this, in writing, both from the HO and British embassy. She also had no problem registering with the police, nor during our numerous interviews upon enering the UK at the airports.

Now, I admit there is a possibility that Tier 1 General MAIN applicants (as opposed to their dependants) may not be allowed to study full time (although I doubt it). For this, I specifically suggested writing directly to the Home Office, which is the ultimate way to establish the truth. What I don't agree with is the reasoning that you must absolutely possess Tier 4 in order to study, hence Tier 1 holders cannot study on this visa, by definition.

I know for a FACT this is not true.
I haven't questioned whether dependents can do it or not! The dependents get what they need without having to work for it ...... main migrants need to qualify for extension, dependents get it for free! Main migrants need 5 years for ILR, dependents get it within 2! So, forget the dependents, they get all the perks anyway!

This said, I also haven't said that main migrants can't do it either. If you read my post carefully, all I emphasised on is that rather than assuming one way or the other, better hear it from the horse's mouth!

As for immigration rules, they neither state that Tier 1 main migrants can't study nor that they can! But at the same time, they do state that for post-16 education in the UK one need a Tier 4 student visa. Therefore, an ambiguity and room for misinterpretation.

regards

buzz_dilli

Post by buzz_dilli » Fri May 21, 2010 4:23 am

Main migrants need 5 years for ILR, dependents get it within 2!
Thank you, learnt something..wasn't aware of that 8) !

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Fri May 21, 2010 7:27 am

Yes, I got two email responses.
maheshrvce wrote:Hey ukswus,

Can you pls tell me how you got it in writing. Do you mean over email or you sent a letter and then got a reply? I have some issue as well but wonder they will reply to it in writing.

buzz_dilli

Post by buzz_dilli » Thu May 27, 2010 4:35 am

Okay, just to keep folks on this thread posted. After sending an email to UKBA, i could only manage to get a generic response to my query. Essentially it includes some FAQs on the points pasted below.

Please let me know if anyone has other ideas.

Thanks!

Information about the following subjects is provided below.

1. Outstanding Applications / Return of Documents

2. Change of Address / Change of Circumstances

3. Biometric Identity Cards for Foreign Nationals

4. HSMP Forum judicial review - Arrangements resulting from the judgment

5. Points Based System - New Rules, Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 4, Sponsorship

6. Students - Work, Changing education provider or course, Course fees

7. Marriage or Civil Partnership with a British or Settled Person

8. UK Ancestry

9. Working Holidaymakers - Employment, No Switching to PBS Categories

10 . Child born in the UK

11. Settlement - Knowledge of Language & Life in the UK

12 . Indefinite Leave to Enter

13. New Passport - Transfer of Conditions or No Time Limit

14. Reporting an immigration offence

ukswus wrote:Yes, I got two email responses.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Thu May 27, 2010 6:22 am

You may also want to write to the British HC in your country too.

buzz_dilli wrote:Okay, just to keep folks on this thread posted. After sending an email to UKBA, i could only manage to get a generic response to my query. Essentially it includes some FAQs on the points pasted below.

Please let me know if anyone has other ideas.

Thanks!

Information about the following subjects is provided below.

1. Outstanding Applications / Return of Documents

2. Change of Address / Change of Circumstances

3. Biometric Identity Cards for Foreign Nationals

4. HSMP Forum judicial review - Arrangements resulting from the judgment

5. Points Based System - New Rules, Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 4, Sponsorship

6. Students - Work, Changing education provider or course, Course fees

7. Marriage or Civil Partnership with a British or Settled Person

8. UK Ancestry

9. Working Holidaymakers - Employment, No Switching to PBS Categories

10 . Child born in the UK

11. Settlement - Knowledge of Language & Life in the UK

12 . Indefinite Leave to Enter

13. New Passport - Transfer of Conditions or No Time Limit

14. Reporting an immigration offence

ukswus wrote:Yes, I got two email responses.

Saga

Post by Saga » Mon May 31, 2010 4:20 pm

Main migrants need 5 years for ILR, dependents get it within 2!
What does this mean ?

How can a dependent get ILR just after 2 years and the main applicant still remains on Tier 1 ? !