ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family visit to UK with British Citizen...which visa?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lew242
Newly Registered

Family visit to UK with British Citizen...which visa?

Post by lew242 » Sat May 22, 2010 2:04 am

Hi there, I'm new to these forums, hope you can help..

I'm a full British Citizen with a British passport, and I was born in the UK. My child was born in China and has a Chinese passport and my wife is also Chinese. We are not seeking settlement, we wish to live in China we want to visit the UK annually to see our family.

I know that I have the right to apply for a British passport for my child, however my region of China does not issue 'one time exit visas', therefore a British passport would not be useful for leaving China. Also China does not recognize dual nationality, so it would be easier to enter and exit the UK on Chinese passports.

Therefore I am confused which visa status to apply for, as the language in the visa applications seems unclear.

Does my child have the right to 'Right of Abode'? Or should I apply for a longer visitor visa (5 years?)

Also is there any more difficulty in applying for a 5-10 year visa than a 6 month visa, do I have the same chances of acceptance regardless of the time period of the visas validity? In other words should I just spend lots of money now and get longer visas to avoid the hassles or reapplying in the future?

Many Thanks...

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat May 22, 2010 5:52 am

If you satisfy the meaning of parent, then your child may apply for a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sat May 22, 2010 6:14 am

vinny wrote:If you satisfy the meaning of parent, then your child may apply for a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode.
I might be missing something here, but will that actually work? Right of Abode is for British citizens which would mean that dual nationality is being claimed. I know the UK immigration won't care, but will the Chinese immigration if they see the UK Right of Abode stamp in a Chinese passport?

lew242
Newly Registered

Post by lew242 » Sat May 22, 2010 6:48 am

Thanks for your reply Vinny.

djb132, you are right to be concerned as am I!
Although it is called a certificate of entitlement and not actually stated as citizenship or nationality. I have checked around on the internet and this seems to be a common approach in my situation....

http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/forums/leg ... -in-china/