ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Further leave to remain

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

BeccaC
Newly Registered

Further leave to remain

Post by BeccaC » Sun May 23, 2010 5:13 pm

Hello

My partner and I were granted a fiance visa about 2 weeks ago and he is due to arrive in the UK in a few days.

I'm a little concerned about what our next step should be. We would prefer to wait about 3 months before we get married, so we can make sure we're definitely making the right decision.

however, I'm worried that my savings will have dropped, or perhaps the rules for FLR could have changed with the new government.

We have savings of about £6000 now, but supporting somebody who doesn't have a work permit will probably take about £2k of that.

Do you think the fact that I will be using up all of my monthly wage every month will go against us to the point that we will be refused?

I know I have enough money to support him, I'm just worried that their idea of 'enough' is a little different to mine..

Also, where do we stand with the new government, is there a chance the rules could be changed for FLR or the route will be closed and he will be sent back to the USA after we get married?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

HRY2005
Member of Standing

Re: Further leave to remain

Post by HRY2005 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:15 am

BeccaC wrote: I'm a little concerned about what our next step should be. We would prefer to wait about 3 months before we get married, so we can make sure we're definitely making the right decision.
I think you should have made up your mind before making a fiance visa application.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Wed May 26, 2010 6:55 am

Do you have a job?

No he won't be forced to go back. Flr(m) is specifically there for people switching into spousal status. I'm sure it'll still be around.

A lot of people get approved without any savings. It's important that there's some sort of income coming in though.
I tell it like it is.

BeccaC
Newly Registered

Post by BeccaC » Wed May 26, 2010 7:42 am

haha, well we have made a decision, we're just trying to be sensible and not rush into anything.

And yes, I have a secure full time job in the creative industry, but it doesn't pay fabulously. I have enough money to support him, I just worry my application won't be as strong as it was when we applied for the fiance visa, since I might have used up some of my savings.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:14 am

BeccaC wrote:haha, well we have made a decision, we're just trying to be sensible and not rush into anything.

And yes, I have a secure full time job in the creative industry, but it doesn't pay fabulously. I have enough money to support him, I just worry my application won't be as strong as it was when we applied for the fiance visa, since I might have used up some of my savings.
Using up some of your saving is fine, after all you may have paid for a visa, flight, a wedding, or maybe additional things your fiance required when he arrived in the UK (maybe like clothing if he came from a warmer climate - not sure where in the USA he came from).

Your only slight issue would be if your day to day living expenses are far more than your income. What then would happen if your fiance doesn't get a job before your savings runs out?

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Wed May 26, 2010 9:05 am

BeccaC wrote:haha, well we have made a decision, we're just trying to be sensible and not rush into anything.

As far as the eco is concerned. If you have like 105gbp/week left over after rent and council tax, you meet the maintenance requirement. So I think you have nothing to worry about.
I tell it like it is.