ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unsure of which application form for unmarried partner

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Spark
- thin ice -

Unsure of which application form for unmarried partner

Post by Spark » Sun May 23, 2010 6:32 pm

Just a couple of quick questions really, I am British and my gf is here as a student from Japan on a bio visa which expires at the end of September 2010. We will have been living together in the UK for 2 consecutive years this August and the rental agreement has both of our names on it.

Is it FLR(M) which we need to complete and also how long does the standard process usually take? We were hoping to go on a holiday in late September-early October but the £735 fee for 'premium' processing seems a bit steep to be honest.

Thanks. :)

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Sun May 23, 2010 7:36 pm

Yes, flrm is the right form. Unmarried partner visa is not as easy as fill up the form and get it. I am not very clued up about the documentary evidence needed to prove that you live together for 2 years, but just having one single document doesnt seem enough. wait for an expert to guide you further.

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Sun May 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Well the rent and council tax bills both have our names on them and our passports both carry stamps from various countries on the same dates plus we have pictures of us together. Do you think that we would need to have a lot more than that?
We make holes in the teeth
We make holes in the teeth.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun May 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Spark wrote:Well the rent and council tax bills both have our names on them and our passports both carry stamps from various countries on the same dates plus we have pictures of us together. Do you think that we would need to have a lot more than that?
Yes, something like six documents spread over the 24 months showing you both living at a common address, things like:

1. Tenancy Agreements

2. Joint Bank Statements

3. Utility Bills.

Either individually addressed of joint (better) but evenly spread showing evidence of cohab throughout the 24 month period.

A few pics and passport stamps nowhere near enough I'm afraid, as the UPV implies a lack of commitment to marry, the UKBA need to sure it's a committed relationship with proper proof.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Sun May 23, 2010 8:40 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Spark wrote:Well the rent and council tax bills both have our names on them and our passports both carry stamps from various countries on the same dates plus we have pictures of us together. Do you think that we would need to have a lot more than that?
Yes, something like six documents spread over the 24 months showing you both living at a common address, things like:

1. Tenancy Agreements

2. Joint Bank Statements

3. Utility Bills.

Either individually addressed of joint (better) but evenly spread showing evidence of cohab throughout the 24 month period.

A few pics and passport stamps nowhere near enough I'm afraid, as the UPV implies a lack of commitment to marry, the UKBA need to sure it's a committed relationship with proper proof.
Well I think we're fine on the first one since we have renewed our contract twice since we moved in and all the documentation has both of our names on it and is signed as a joint agreement.

We don't have joint bank statements though because she's a student and is funded mainly by her Mum and Dad back in Tokyo so we keep our finances completely seperate and all of our utilities apart from council tax are billed seperately with most of them in my name and a couple of them in hers.

Do you think we will be in a lot of trouble then?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Sun May 23, 2010 9:22 pm

You can use some bills with joint names, and some bills in different names but coming to the same address. Tv license can be included too. Also nhs registeration card.

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Sun May 23, 2010 9:59 pm

Well I think we should be OK on the documentation front then as we just had a look through our paperwork and we do have 3 things with both of our names on stretching the 3 years as well as individual bank statements and NHS cards registered to the same doctor on the same date 2 years ago.

Do anybody know the average processing time at the moment for a Japanese citizen? I've searched around and the answer seems to vary from 2 weeks to 4 weeks to 16 weeks to god knows when.

Also, do you know if they are real sticklers for the 2 year minimum rule? As in are we only eligible after we have been living together for 2 years on the day or can we submit the application a couple of weeks before that?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Sun May 23, 2010 10:19 pm

The waiting time is more like 16 weeks. If you get it in 2-4 weeks, it will be like winning the lotto.

Just apply when you have hard proof of living together for 2 years. Do not give them an excuse to refuse your application.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun May 23, 2010 10:51 pm

Two years is set in stone, a few days might be ok if some unavoidable circumstance but take no chances.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Sun May 23, 2010 11:07 pm

So it takes like 4 months for a standard postal application? That is going to kill our holiday plans then unless we opt for the 'premium' service, damn cheek though, I'd love to know where all of this money is going but I guess it disappears into the same black hole as most of these types of funds in the UK.

Thanks for all of your help guys, I think we'll just need to look into our options now.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Mon May 24, 2010 4:30 am

Spark wrote:So it takes like 4 months for a standard postal application? That is going to kill our holiday plans then unless we opt for the 'premium' service, damn cheek though, I'd love to know where all of this money is going but I guess it disappears into the same black hole as most of these types of funds in the UK.

Thanks for all of your help guys, I think we'll just need to look into our options now.
Maybe. Could take longer, could take less... Remember that even if you pay for the premium service you may still not get an answer the same day (think 90% are decided the same day).

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Mon May 24, 2010 9:56 am

I think our case should be a considerably simple one really since I'm a caucasian British-born male with a clean history and she has been living in the UK as a student for 8 years now. We're both in our late 20's and we've been together as a couple for 2 1/2 of those and our documentation will all be there.

Even when we re-enter the country now I usually go through the 'other passports' section with her and they have never given either of us any trouble at the border, still stranger things have happened I suppose.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:15 am

Spark wrote:I think our case should be a considerably simple one really since I'm a caucasian British-born male with a clean history and she has been living in the UK as a student for 8 years now. We're both in our late 20's and we've been together as a couple for 2 1/2 of those and our documentation will all be there.

Even when we re-enter the country now I usually go through the 'other passports' section with her and they have never given either of us any trouble at the border, still stranger things have happened I suppose.
There is a good chance you will get it the same day. It was just a warning in case you were going to book a holiday on the basis that it would definately be issued the same day (1 in 10 people walk away disappointed...).

Though remember that an UPV is never going to be the simplest of visas - if you were married it would be a simpler.

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Mon May 24, 2010 10:24 am

Well I suppose the reason why we're going for this first is because we're both still young and we want to make sure that things will work out before taking the ultimate step.

We were just going to book flights to go over and see her family for a couple of weeks in October but I think we'll probably need to hold off for a bit on that now until this is sorted. Thanks for all of your help mate, much appreciated. :)

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon May 24, 2010 1:11 pm

The fact that you're 'caucasian' won't make any difference to your application either way. Unmarried Parner visas were originally granted for couples who were unable to marry as their native country did not allow divorce. All couples over the age of 21 can now apply for a UPV but they need to submit proof that they have been living in a relationship 'akin to marriage' with documented proof of joint responsibilities, (more than you would find with a 'boyfriend/girlfriend relationship)...as you would expect to see in a marriage. Usually evidence of joint finance, share of bills, mortgage or rent, council tax in joint names etc.
As you've already been advised, an Unmarried Partner application tends to come under even more scrutiny than a spouse application. The Home Office will want to see that you're not simply two people who are sharing the same address.
Has your partner being attending studies and not working in excess of the permitted 20 hours a week during term time?

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Mon May 24, 2010 5:59 pm

Casa wrote:The fact that you're 'caucasian' won't make any difference to your application either way. Unmarried Parner visas were originally granted for couples who were unable to marry as their native country did not allow divorce. All couples over the age of 21 can now apply for a UPV but they need to submit proof that they have been living in a relationship 'akin to marriage' with documented proof of joint responsibilities, (more than you would find with a 'boyfriend/girlfriend relationship)...as you would expect to see in a marriage. Usually evidence of joint finance, share of bills, mortgage or rent, council tax in joint names etc.
As you've already been advised, an Unmarried Partner application tends to come under even more scrutiny than a spouse application. The Home Office will want to see that you're not simply two people who are sharing the same address.
Has your partner being attending studies and not working in excess of the permitted 20 hours a week during term time?
Absolutely, she has never violated the terms of her visa at any time and is actually just finishing her second degree now.

I didn't mean to offend anybody by the way with my last post, only to say that our case may be considerably more simple than most of the ones I have seen discussed on this forum before.

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Tue May 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Just another question, sorry, theoretically could we go on holiday shortly before her current visa expires and how long do you generally need to apply for your new visa in advance of the expiry of your current one?

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Tue May 25, 2010 6:25 pm

Spark wrote:Just another question, sorry, theoretically could we go on holiday shortly before her current visa expires and how long do you generally need to apply for your new visa in advance of the expiry of your current one?

Yes you can and as long as you come back and submit it before her visa expires, she willl not be classed as an overstayer and it will most likely be approved. If I were you I would give myself atleast a week before it expires but I guess in theory as long as you turn it in the day before the expiration date, it should be fine.
I tell it like it is.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Tue May 25, 2010 6:31 pm

Spark wrote:Just another question, sorry, theoretically could we go on holiday shortly before her current visa expires and how long do you generally need to apply for your new visa in advance of the expiry of your current one?

It shouldn't really be a problem re-entering the UK on the day the visa expires and posting the application immediately.

But with the current issues with the ash cloud it might be a bit risky to do that.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Tue May 25, 2010 7:12 pm

djb123 wrote:
It shouldn't really be a problem re-entering the UK on the day the visa expires and posting the application immediately.

But with the current issues with the ash cloud it might be a bit risky to do that.
woah, that's purely for the risk takers! Ash cloud or not, I would never attempt to enter on the day of expiration and have all the stress of sending everything off the same day. Things can go wrong and will in my experience.
I tell it like it is.

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Tue May 25, 2010 8:12 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, we would be back in the UK at least 10-14 days before her expiry date under our current plans and would have all the paperwork ready for our return so we would literally just need to add our passports to the envelope.

I suppose our only worry was her getting back in within the last month of her visa expiry and also if whether or not the extension would usually need to be applied for around a month before the current expiry date as that's what she has always done before.