ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Interview

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

VRM
Newly Registered

Passport Interview

Post by VRM » Fri May 14, 2010 12:54 pm

I am a recently naturalised British citizen, and have applied for a passport. I have now been called for an interview as is the current procedure. Any idea what kind of questions they ask at the passport interview and how long will it last?

krimith

Post by krimith » Fri May 14, 2010 3:43 pm

Krimith mate, got your private message re: interview questions. Some of the ones asked in my interview are already on this thread. Was going to reply via PM but though best to post here so everyone could benefit.

From what I can remember, questions are:

Initial checks ->
They check the computer for your photo and that it matches who they are interviewing in person..
1. What is your name? Spell your name.
2. Have you had any other names previously?
3. What is your date of birth? Where were you born?
4. What is your full address?
5. Are you British? Can you remember when your naturalisation ceremony was?
6. Does anyone else over the age of 16 live in your house? Who?
7. What is your mother's name and date of birth? Place/Country born?
8. What is your father's date of birth? Place/Country born?

Specific credit check questions ->
9. Do you have any bank accounts? How many? (Joint accounts are included as '1')
10. Do you have a mortgage? With which provider?
11. Do you have any mobile phone contracts? With which provider/s?

Questions regarding information on the application ->
12. What supporting documents did you send with your application?
13. Via what method did you send your application?
14. Who countersigned your form? How is the person known to you?
15. How old roughly is the person who countersigned your form?
16. What is the e-mail address that you put in your application?
17. Have you received your supporting docs back yet?

They then get you to sign an electronic pad to check that your signature matches that in your application form.

That's about it really from what I can remember. What I suggest is that you photocopy your application form before sending it off so that you have a copy of the information you sent as the bulk of the questions is about what you put in the application. Don't know about you but I had to ask my parents re: year of birth etc. and I literally revised this before going into the interview!

Whatever you do, make sure you know the correct answers to the initial check questions. Where I was interviewed, they only had a row of open booths and so you can hear everyone else being interviewed. Someone who went before me gave an address that didn't match that on the application and they had to stop the interview and told him that his docs would be sent back and that he'd have to re-apply again!

Good Luck!

krimith

Re: Passport Interview

Post by krimith » Fri May 14, 2010 3:45 pm

VRM wrote:I am a recently naturalised British citizen, and have applied for a passport. I have now been called for an interview as is the current procedure. Any idea what kind of questions they ask at the passport interview and how long will it last?
vrm thats your answer,frdfrogg give me reply i just pass you

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri May 14, 2010 3:51 pm

krimith wrote:6. Does anyone else over the age of 16 live in your house? Who?
9. Do you have any bank accounts? How many? (Joint accounts are included as '1')
How intrusive. What's the relevance to applying for a passport?
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Fri May 14, 2010 5:56 pm

Its just an exercise to establish that you are who you say you are. You might not be aware, but there are 1000s of people who obtained passports in the past pretending to be someone else.

Sten

Post by Sten » Wed May 26, 2010 11:47 am

krimith wrote:Someone who went before me gave an address that didn't match that on the application
Naturalisation application you mean ? I've moved house as my AN1 application was being processed, when I called UKBA to update it they've already made a decision. Wonder which address do I need to tell them, can you give multiple answers ?
Good luck !

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed May 26, 2010 11:56 am

You can give them a new address even if they have made a decision. Best way is to go can check mail at the old address.

Sten

Post by Sten » Wed May 26, 2010 12:36 pm

mrlookforward wrote:You can give them a new address even if they have made a decision. Best way is to go can check mail at the old address.
This is already in the past, I called to give them the update and they told me they had sent the decision already to the old address (I've got it, thanks to royal mail redirection). The question is - I do not know what and where they've updated it, it could have my initial address somewhere in the system and if this source happens to be the source that passport people are using that may cause issues.
Good luck !

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed May 26, 2010 12:43 pm

If you have no outstanding application with UKBA then stop worrying about updating address. Update of address is only required when you have an outstanding application.

So now, you should just forget about the address they have in their computer. Just take a chill pill. :D

Sten

Post by Sten » Thu May 27, 2010 9:20 am

mrlookforward wrote:So now, you should just forget about the address they have in their computer.
I'll stop worrying if someone tells me what information they compare to during the passport interview - the one in naturalisation application form or the one in passport application form )
Good luck !

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:20 am

Sten wrote:
mrlookforward wrote:So now, you should just forget about the address they have in their computer.
I'll stop worrying if someone tells me what information they compare to during the passport interview - the one in naturalisation application form or the one in passport application form )
The interview is done in a friendly manner, if they may have two addresses for you because you have moved then explain that when asked. It's not a test where they will only take your first answer and fail you if you give the wrong answer.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu May 27, 2010 10:32 am

djb123 wrote:
Sten wrote:
The interview is done in a friendly manner, if they may have two addresses for you because you have moved then explain that when asked. It's not a test where they will only take your first answer and fail you if you give the wrong answer.
Bull, they dont fail you. The purpose of passport interview is to establish that the passport applicant is the person who he says he is. Now, many people wont know everything by heart, such as the exact date they moved house. They might not remember account number of a savings account which they dont use etc. As long as they are satisfied that you are who you say you are, it should be ok. Passport interviews are nothing to worry about. They are only designed to stop people fraudulently using someone elses naturalisation cert and identity to obtain a passport.

ariesnr
Mood:
India

Passport Interview questions

Post by ariesnr » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:27 am

Hi All,

Had my passport interview today.I was bit stressed today morning,read a lot of forums and pretty much knew what questions to expect.My experience at the passport office at Luton.

My interview was at 9.30,arrived at location 20 mins earlier.Sat nav wont show the exact spot,but pretty much easy to locate the office.Good parking facility available nearby.

After signing at the lobby was directed to 4th floor.Received in the office by receptionist.Please take the interview confirmation letter sent byIPS.Receptionist asked feedback on booking date/location,ease of doing it and also direction to office.Pretty much routine plesantries.

After 10 min wait lead to the interviewer.She explained the reason for conducting interview and also the diffrent parts in interview.The lady was looking straight in the eye all the time and was observing the body language all the time.

Initial Questions.

1.Tell me your name
2.Spell your name
3.Tell me your address
4.Tell me your date of birth.

Application information

1.Who countersigned the form/photo?
2.when was your naturalisation?
3.whats your mobile number?
4.whats your email id?
5.How did you apply for passport/how did you pay?
6.where did your apply for check& send.
7.what documents did you send?
8.did the passport office contact you anytime regarding your documents?
9.how did you receive your documents back?
10.how do you know your countersignatory?how long did you know?how old is he?whats his job?
11.how long do you live in your current address?
12.address for last 3 yrs.

Economic activity.

1. who do you bank with?
2.How many credit/debit cards do you have?
3.How long do you have the accounts?when did you open the account-i did not remember exact date,but told the month and year.
4.do you have mortgage?with whom?
5.do you have any loans?with whom?
6.who is your mobile company?
7.is it contract or PAYG

Family questions

1.Fathers full name?
2..Mothers full name?
3.D.O.B of father &mother
4.Wedding date for parents?
5.who lives with you at home?
6.whats your partner/wife name?
7.whats the D.O.B of wife/partner
8.Any children?how old?

Miscellaneous questions

1.Are you registered to vote?( i was registered as commonwealth citizen)

Thats the whole lot....

As a whole its a genuine interview to make sure its me who applied for the passport and not anyone else.I dont think its question of eligibility for passport at this stage....its the identity they want to make sure...i think the interview was very fair.A lot of body language assessment/eye contact etc.

Fingers crossed now....will let you guys know when the result comes ie when passport arrives

Cheers

Member of Standing

Re: Passport Interview questions

Post by 1664 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:41 am

ariesnr wrote:Hi All,

Had my passport interview today.I was bit stressed today morning,read a lot of forums and pretty much knew what questions to expect.My experience at the passport office at Luton.

My interview was at 9.30,arrived at location 20 mins earlier.Sat nav wont show the exact spot,but pretty much easy to locate the office.Good parking facility available nearby.

After signing at the lobby was directed to 4th floor.Received in the office by receptionist.Please take the interview confirmation letter sent byIPS.Receptionist asked feedback on booking date/location,ease of doing it and also direction to office.Pretty much routine plesantries.

After 10 min wait lead to the interviewer.She explained the reason for conducting interview and also the diffrent parts in interview.The lady was looking straight in the eye all the time and was observing the body language all the time.

Initial Questions.

1.Tell me your name
2.Spell your name
3.Tell me your address
4.Tell me your date of birth.

Application information

1.Who countersigned the form/photo?
2.when was your naturalisation?
3.whats your mobile number?
4.whats your email id?
5.How did you apply for passport/how did you pay?
6.where did your apply for check& send.
7.what documents did you send?
8.did the passport office contact you anytime regarding your documents?
9.how did you receive your documents back?
10.how do you know your countersignatory?how long did you know?how old is he?whats his job?
11.how long do you live in your current address?
12.address for last 3 yrs.

Economic activity.

1. who do you bank with?
2.How many credit/debit cards do you have?
3.How long do you have the accounts?when did you open the account-i did not remember exact date,but told the month and year.
4.do you have mortgage?with whom?
5.do you have any loans?with whom?
6.who is your mobile company?
7.is it contract or PAYG

Family questions

1.Fathers full name?
2..Mothers full name?
3.D.O.B of father &mother
4.Wedding date for parents?
5.who lives with you at home?
6.whats your partner/wife name?
7.whats the D.O.B of wife/partner
8.Any children?how old?

Miscellaneous questions

1.Are you registered to vote?( i was registered as commonwealth citizen)

Thats the whole lot....

As a whole its a genuine interview to make sure its me who applied for the passport and not anyone else.I dont think its question of eligibility for passport at this stage....its the identity they want to make sure...i think the interview was very fair.A lot of body language assessment/eye contact etc.

Fingers crossed now....will let you guys know when the result comes ie when passport arrives

Cheers
Heck - so many questions??

ariesnr
Mood:
India

Passport Interview questions

Post by ariesnr » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:53 am

Yes a lot of questions....but its like a rapid fire round...so was over in 15-20 mins or even less.I didnt stumble or get stuck anywhere so it went very quickly...

Member of Standing

Re: Passport Interview questions

Post by 1664 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:13 am

ariesnr wrote:Yes a lot of questions....but its like a rapid fire round...so was over in 15-20 mins or even less.I didnt stumble or get stuck anywhere so it went very quickly...
For a person like me who is confident otherwise can make me nervous in such situations. But I should fine if I went through all the dates esp regarding my parents' details. hehe!

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:14 am

krimith wrote:
6. Does anyone else over the age of 16 live in your house? Who?

How intrusive. What's the relevance to applying for a passport?
As said before. this is only to establish, your ID, to confirm its you, as only you will know the correct anwers, nothing wrong with that. They actually do not get any info about balances etc so its not intrusive.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:19 am

Sten
Member of Standing

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote
mrlookforward wrote:
So now, you should just forget about the address they have in their computer.

You may be asked for previous addresses so just tell them. You will have a chance to mention any previous addresses on the PP application form.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:22 am

Member of Standing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:13 am Post subject: Re: Passport Interview questions Reply with quote
ariesnr wrote:
Yes a lot of questions....but its like a rapid fire round...so was over in 15-20 mins or even less.I didnt stumble or get stuck anywhere so it went very quickly...

For a person like me who is confident otherwise can make me nervous in such situations. But I should fine if I went through all the dates esp regarding my parents' details.
Be your normal self, if you forget something, say so, it woudnt be a problem.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:24 am

Regarding the Qs, it depends on whats on your credit file, and they may ask you to confirm things from there. But again it will be something you will know.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:22 pm

Remember this is not a test or an interview to decide whether to grant you a passport or not. They just want to confirm your identity. Nothing else.

ariesnr
Mood:
India

Post by ariesnr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi all,

Finally received my British passport today afternoon... And finally ends my journey which began in 2003.thanks to all the members and the board for the invaluable advice and guidance.
Many thanks to all

Cheers

forwardever

Post by forwardever » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:06 am

does anyone knw the number to call IPS for a unique refrence number to book an appointment,its close to 2weeks since they recieved my application and im wondering if it wuld make sense to call and get a refrence number before i recieve my document

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:06 am

forwardever wrote:does anyone knw the number to call IPS for a unique refrence number to book an appointment,its close to 2weeks since they recieved my application and im wondering if it wuld make sense to call and get a refrence number before i recieve my document
0300 222 0000
You will need your application barcode number in order for them to locate your application. If they do provide you with a reference number, you will need to call 0300 222 1000 to book an interview.

BTW - if they said, you are not in the system yet. Don't panic. They did not lose your application. It's just still in the backlog. Once you are "in the system" a reference number for the interview is generated (can take some time during the summer).

forwardever

Post by forwardever » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:47 am

Jambo wrote:
forwardever wrote:does anyone knw the number to call IPS for a unique refrence number to book an appointment,its close to 2weeks since they recieved my application and im wondering if it wuld make sense to call and get a refrence number before i recieve my document
0300 222 0000
You will need your application barcode number in order for them to locate your application. If they do provide you with a reference number, you will need to call 0300 222 1000 to book an interview.

BTW - if they said, you are not in the system yet. Don't panic. They did not lose your application. It's just still in the backlog. Once you are "in the system" a reference number for the interview is generated (can take some time during the summer).

thanks mate ...