ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What can happen if a submitted passport is expired?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jumpingzombie

What can happen if a submitted passport is expired?

Post by jumpingzombie » Wed May 26, 2010 11:47 pm

Hello everyone.
I'd like to have your advices here again...

I'm a non EEA citizen married with an EEA citizen.
I applied for the resident card by EEA2 this february, and I've been waiting for it since then.While waiting,my EEA FP has already been expired.

I attached the documents of my husband for my resident card and his resistration certificate(EEA1), and one of them is his passport that's going to be expired in the middle of July.
It's likely to be expired before I'm granted the resident card, and the resistration of certificate for him. Then, I wonder if the UKBA would ask us to send his new passport or ID card, or we can just remain his passport submitting until we are granted the resident card and his r.certificate.

I'm even afraid if i'd be refused because his passport is soon expired, without asking us to submit his new passport/ID :cry:

Any advices are appreciated.

troubled

Post by troubled » Thu May 27, 2010 7:10 am

If your passport expired at the hands of HO then you have no problem,but if it expires and you failed to renew it before you make your application then HO will refuse your application. If the passport expired after the application then you have nothing to worry.Though HO sometimes funny they can ask the renewal of the passport but they rarely do that if the passport was valid at the time of application.

jumpingzombie

Post by jumpingzombie » Thu May 27, 2010 10:38 am

Thanx, troubled!

So, the HO isn't likely to ask us to send my husband's ID nor renew his passport, as it wasn't expired when we submitted our documents...

A bothering related with visa matters has just been removed in my mind :)

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:43 pm

Are you not going to need a valid passport in the future?

If so, why not request back your old passport from UKBA, apply for a replacement from your embassy, send UKBA a photocopy of the new passport's information page and then submit the passport itself to UKBA when they request a passport.

jumpingzombie

Post by jumpingzombie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:31 pm

>>Directive/2004/38/EC

Thank you for the advice!

Surely,my husband is willing to renew his passport as soon as possible, but he doensn't have to do it for now because he can travel with his ID card in Europe, as he's an EEA citizen.

Another point is that our EEA1+2 joint application has already been diverted because I requested my passport back in March, and has still been in my hand. I guess if he requested his passport back to renew it, and submitted it again, it could divert our procedure even more. Besides, he's Polish and I've heard it would take quite long time to renew his passport at the Polish Embassy in London.

If the UKBA requires him to renew his passport to issue a Registration Certificate, he'll do it, but otherwise he'll leave his passport and his EEA1 application as they are.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:31 am

jumpingzombie wrote:If the UKBA requires him to renew his passport to issue a Registration Certificate, he'll do it, but otherwise he'll leave his passport and his EEA1 application as they are.
EU citizens can use an ID card or a passport whenever they need to identify themselves. There is no requirement that they have a particular type. He should be fine.