ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

3 Weeks lapsed after interview and still NO passport !

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

London102

3 Weeks lapsed after interview and still NO passport !

Post by London102 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:27 am

Hello friends,

Once again I am here with a query.

We applied as family and sent 3 passport applications (2 adults+ 1 child). We received child's passport within 10 days and I received mine 3 days after interview.

However, its been 3 weeks now after my wife had her interview and still awaiting passport. Called IPS a number of times and receive identical responses every time "its in the system and with security clearence department, we do not know any time frame".

Please advise if this is normal. I thought passport interview was the last stage in the process. IPS do their checks then send back your originals once all is ok and call for interview??

1. Please advise what to do in this situation and what are our options in case we need to travel.

2. Can she travel on her old passport that has the ILR on while UK passport is still awaited.

3. Cannot wait indefinitely as IPS say "it may take longer"; but how long is not been told anytime I call them. Frustrating ...

Regards,

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Fri May 28, 2010 8:50 am

In answer to 2... Did her original nationality allow dual citizenship? If not then her old passport is invalid. Regardless of this her ILR is no longer valid as British citizens can't have ILR.

Though she is unlikely to have any problems travelling using it even though it is no longer valid.

London102

Post by London102 » Fri May 28, 2010 8:57 am

Hello djb123,

Yes her original nationality allows dual citizenship.

I am only worried about her coming back to UK after traveling outside. Will she have any troubles using her ILR because she is British National now??

Thanks

djb123 wrote:In answer to 2... Did her original nationality allow dual citizenship? If not then her old passport is invalid. Regardless of this her ILR is no longer valid as British citizens can't have ILR.

Though she is unlikely to have any problems travelling using it even though it is no longer valid.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:49 am

London102 wrote:Hello djb123,

I am only worried about her coming back to UK after traveling outside. Will she have any troubles using her ILR because she is British National now??

Thanks
I can't guarantee she will have no problems, but I know of people who have (including my wife) travelled back into the UK using ILR with no problems even though they were a British citizen.

London102

Post by London102 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:08 pm

Thanks djb123,

When we say "problems" what sort of problems do we envisaged here upon arrival at UK airport. Can they refuse entry ? if yes on which basis?

Regards

djb123 wrote:
London102 wrote:Hello djb123,

Thanks
I can't guarantee she will have no problems, but I know of people who have (including my wife) travelled back into the UK using ILR with no problems even though they were a British citizen.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Fri May 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Dont think that they will refuse entry. Have read some peoples posts that there might be a delay and they might hold you and make enquiries.

London102

Post by London102 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:39 am

Thanks mrlookforward & djb123 for sharing experience.

I would appreciate if some more information is provided with any references to the official information documentation.

I just learnt from another respected member in a private message who is facing the same scenario. Its been 4 months from the date of application and 3 months from interview date and yet the passport is not been issued. He has received a letter yesterday from IPS asking him to arrange another interview. He has been asked to bring a loads of supportive material to establish past residence in the UK like bank cards, utility bills, insurance certificates, college/university/school letters, etc. Nobody knows how long IPS will take more to decide the application.

This is ridiculious. The current government is planing on scrapping the ID card scheme, why cant they abolish this interview process that I reckon to be useless. We have already gone a long way with UKBA in reaching this stage and yet another unnecessary delay. According to reports (internet), no one has been denyed so far the passport request. I am not sure what good this interview is playing in the process.

Regards,

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:46 am

London102 wrote:This is ridiculious. The current government is planing on scrapping the ID card scheme, why cant they abolish this interview process that I reckon to be useless. We have already gone a long way with UKBA in reaching this stage and yet another unnecessary delay. According to reports (internet), no one has been denyed so far the passport request. I am not sure what good this interview is playing in the process.
The question is has no-one failed (assuming that is true...) because the prospect of a face-to-face quiz is acting as a major deterrent to most potential identity thieves?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Sat May 29, 2010 11:24 am

London102 wrote:Thanks mrlookforward & djb123 for sharing experience.

I would appreciate if some more information is provided with any references to the official information documentation.

I just learnt from another respected member in a private message who is facing the same scenario. Its been 4 months from the date of application and 3 months from interview date and yet the passport is not been issued. He has received a letter yesterday from IPS asking him to arrange another interview. He has been asked to bring a loads of supportive material to establish past residence in the UK like bank cards, utility bills, insurance certificates, college/university/school letters, etc. Nobody knows how long IPS will take more to decide the application.

This is ridiculious. The current government is planing on scrapping the ID card scheme, why cant they abolish this interview process that I reckon to be useless. We have already gone a long way with UKBA in reaching this stage and yet another unnecessary delay. According to reports (internet), no one has been denyed so far the passport request. I am not sure what good this interview is playing in the process.

Regards,
I dont exactly know what they do if they are suspicious, but the purpose of passport interview is to establish that there is no identification theft going on. I dont know if you know abt it or not, in the past, many many people stole ids of other people and obtained british passport. So, to stop this happening again, I think its right that they carry out enquiries. By the way, the enquiries are to establish the id of the applicant, and not to question them about their other circumstances. There is no trail left of any checks that they carry out.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Mon May 31, 2010 8:15 pm

Look at it this way, she will not be denied entry because she is British.

On passport interview, I suppose if you get a lot of the questions wrong or even the basic ones then it might be a problem becauuse they might be suspicious of your identity.

London102

Post by London102 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:52 am

Thanks f2k,

Please advise if its advisable to withdraw passport application and then travel out of UK or we keep it this way and travel outside and come back. This is NOT to dogde the system, but to inquire the legal procedure andn thats the whole purpose of starting this thread.

We received a call back from IPS today in response to our web query made last Thursday with the same old informartion that the application has been sent to security again and should not take longer !

We kept hearing these typical sentences for the last 4 weeks now (after interview).

Regards,

f2k wrote:Look at it this way, she will not be denied entry because she is British.

On passport interview, I suppose if you get a lot of the questions wrong or even the basic ones then it might be a problem becauuse they might be suspicious of your identity.

krimith

Post by krimith » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:45 am

London102 wrote:Thanks f2k,

Please advise if its advisable to withdraw passport application and then travel out of UK or we keep it this way and travel outside and come back. This is NOT to dogde the system, but to inquire the legal procedure andn thats the whole purpose of starting this thread.

We received a call back from IPS today in response to our web query made last Thursday with the same old informartion that the application has been sent to security again and should not take longer !

We kept hearing these typical sentences for the last 4 weeks now (after interview).

Regards,

f2k wrote:Look at it this way, she will not be denied entry because she is British.

If everything ok but still not good responds you can take letter or send EMAIL from MP so bec passport office why dont send passport after interview in that case MP will help you otherwise they give all the time same answer

London102

Post by London102 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:01 pm

So any idea how to contact your local MP?. I have tried searching the net and found

http://www.writetothem.com/

This suppose to tell you the details about contacting your local MP, but they do not seem to have any updated details.

I would appreciate some knowledge on contacting your local MP. Does he/she sits locally in your area or is it required to travel to London to meet them?

Regards,

krimith wrote:

Regards,

If everything ok but still not good responds you can take letter or send EMAIL from MP so bec passport office why dont send passport after interview in that case MP will help you otherwise they give all the time same answer

krimith

Post by krimith » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:59 pm

London102 wrote:So any idea how to contact your local MP?. I have tried searching the net and found

This suppose to tell you the details about contacting your local MP, but they do not seem to have any updated details.

I would appreciate some knowledge on contacting your local MP. Does he/she sits locally in your area or is it required to travel to London to meet them?

Regards,
If you find out your local MP address so you can take appointment face to face or send email you want to contact him otherwise you write which council you live if i can help u

krimith wrote:

Regards,

you find out thats ok link just search your council MP EMAIL OR PHONE NO

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:49 pm

London102 wrote:So any idea how to contact your local MP?. I have tried searching the net and found

Regards,

krimith wrote:

Regards,

try to get the number of your MPs constituency office. you can search through various means as you might have already done. once you have their number, ring that office and ask which days and where your mp does "surgeries". Go to his/her surgery and explain your situation.