ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5-10 days "stay in country" after application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jolloqui
Newly Registered

5-10 days "stay in country" after application

Post by jolloqui » Fri May 28, 2010 12:55 pm

does anybody know why are you requested to stay in the UK for 5 days after applying for naturalisation?

legal reason? (?)
practical reason? (e.g. being contactable if needed)

...?

I have just applied and, due to work, may have to travel within the EU next week. I'll be contactable at all times via my contact phone number - any problem with this?

Thank you,

Jolloqui

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Fri May 28, 2010 1:22 pm

The requirement is that you should be in the country on the date of BC application. BC application is deemed to be made on the day its received at home office and not the day its handed to NCS or handed into post office.
eg If you make an application in NCS on friday, then they might not be able to post it before monday and then it wont be received by home office until tuesday. And if that monday happens to be a bank holiday, then your application wont reach home office at least until wednesday.
The point is, to make sure that you do not leave UK before the application is received by home office.

jolloqui
Newly Registered

Post by jolloqui » Fri May 28, 2010 5:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback

[quote]The point is, to make sure that you do not leave UK before the application is received by home office.[/quote]

... why? is there a legal requirement for this?

sorry - I just dont see the reasoning (is there any?)

Thanks!

Jose

senthil78
Member of Standing

Post by senthil78 » Fri May 28, 2010 5:44 pm

jolloqui wrote:Thanks for the feedback
The point is, to make sure that you do not leave UK before the application is received by home office.

Thanks!

Jose
It is very simple, It is not legal requirement and this is the requirement by HO and need to comply with that to get your application approved.

oluwa112

Post by oluwa112 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:22 pm

Thanks!

Jose
I think its pretty clear and make sense. If you are not physically in the country when the home office receive your BC application, then you dont meet the Standard requirement to apply BC. The 5 days allows room for any delays between you sending your application and them receiving it.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Fri May 28, 2010 10:03 pm

senthil78 wrote:

Thanks!

Jose
It is very simple, It is not legal requirement and this is the requirement by HO and need to comply with that to get your application approved.
Senthil, you are wrong. It is a requirement for the applicant to be present in UK on the day application is received at home office.
You have the option of applying for naturalisation in a British post abroad. eg if someone is visiting their home country Jamaica, then they can apply at BHC kingston.
What cant be done is not being present in UK and apply to home office.
Remeber the date of applicatin for BC is the date when it is received at home office. This is not like other leave to enter application where the date of posting is the date of application.

jolloqui
Newly Registered

Post by jolloqui » Sat May 29, 2010 5:53 pm

Ok, now I understand, thanks for all the feedback!

Jolloqui

rachel28
Newly Registered

Post by rachel28 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:40 pm

I was just searching for this question so thanks everybody. I have a holiday booked for the final day that they want you to stay in the country (they require 7 days at my NCS.) I was wondering how are they going to know if you were in the country or not on that day?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Sun May 30, 2010 1:56 am

Well, to cut the long story short I will give you an example

Burglary is a crime according to law. Whether the thief gets caught or not is a totally different matter. lol :)

77rus
Newly Registered

which date is the date HO "received" appllication?

Post by 77rus » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:01 pm

oluwa112 wrote: I think its pretty clear and make sense. If you are not physically in the country when the home office receive your BC application, then you dont meet the Standard requirement to apply BC. The 5 days allows room for any delays between you sending your application and them receiving it.
Another question - what is the date they received application? The date in the Royal Mail tracking system or the date of acknowlegement letter?
Searched forum with this, found the question here http://www.immigrationboards.com/postin ... e&p=223114 only but no answer...

For example if I sent my AN today, HO will receive it tomorrow (I presume), I want to fly on day after tomorrow and return the following day.
Am I on the safe side?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:13 pm

The actual date is when your application is received at home office. eg if you sent it on 3/6/2010 and you have the tracking number, and the post office website confirms that the package has been delivered on 5/6/201, now the application has been made on 5/6/2010. Doesnt matter when they issue an acknowledgement letter, 10/6/2010 or 12/7/2010 or whenever.