ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

spouse visa..divorce

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jasb1327
BANNED

spouse visa..divorce

Post by jasb1327 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:12 am

hi everyone !! quick question...a friend of mine came to uk on marriage /spouse visa in feb this year...but unfortunately her marriage seems to b in trouble as her family/in-laws and the guy himself are giving her hard time and shes nw living wid her cousin...
now my query is wat happens wid her visa if they go for divorce..i guess it would b cancelled once they r officially divorced??...is there a chance she can continue livin here as divorce is not her fault n if she says there is no1 in india to support her or nethin like dat..or convert her visa in sum other category..student or netin...netin..ne help is much appreciated...thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: spouse visa..divorce

Post by Wanderer » Sat May 29, 2010 9:28 am

jasb1327 wrote:hi everyone !! quick question...a friend of mine came to uk on marriage /spouse visa in feb this year...but unfortunately her marriage seems to b in trouble as her family/in-laws and the guy himself are giving her hard time and shes nw living wid her cousin...
now my query is wat happens wid her visa if they go for divorce..i guess it would b cancelled once they r officially divorced??...is there a chance she can continue livin here as divorce is not her fault n if she says there is no1 in india to support her or nethin like dat..or convert her visa in sum other category..student or netin...netin..ne help is much appreciated...thanks
Need to be married a year before you can divorce.

If the marriage is over she needs to leave the UK ASAP to remain legal, but the reality is when the two year visa is up, she'll certainly have to leave then, as she would need to have a subsisting marriage and the co-operation of her husband.

You can't switch in country from spouse visa at all, except for ILR if the marriage was still subsisting of course.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

djb123
Member of Standing

Re: spouse visa..divorce

Post by djb123 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:40 am

Wanderer wrote: You can't switch in country from spouse visa at all, except for ILR if the marriage was still subsisting of course.
Or if the relationship has broken down because you have suffered domestic violence.

jasb1327
BANNED

Post by jasb1327 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:14 am

thank you so much guys...i'll let her knw...dat only way she can continue living here is if she starts punch up wid her husband and gets a black eye lol nah jokin thanks evr so much..

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:23 am

jasb1327 wrote:thank you so much guys...i'll let her knw...dat only way she can continue living here is if she starts punch up wid her husband and gets a black eye lol nah jokin thanks evr so much..
Domestic violence isn't only physical abuse, it can take other forms.