ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I am planning to Travel UK on July end.

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Karuna
BANNED

I am planning to Travel UK on July end.

Post by Karuna » Sun May 23, 2010 10:48 am

Hi all,
This is karuna, i have arround 7 yrs of exp in Java J2EE technology,
I am planning to travel UK on July doe JOB search,
Could any one share your experience on the travel and searching JOB's.

Initially how can find accommodation?
Which is right place to stay which give good convince to search JOB.
How can i apply Job's once i reached UK ?
How much required to stay in UK to survey at least 2 months.

Please could any one you share your experience and info to help and suggest me.

-Karuna.

IMHO4u
BANNED

Post by IMHO4u » Sun May 23, 2010 11:10 am

If you are settled in a good profile in India, don’t want to waste hard earned money living in a shared accommodation and applying for fake jobs, please reconsider this move.

In best scenario, a junior role on real bad wages (reason – most teir1/HS are in IT domain, getting the wages down for everyone!). In worst scenario, self-paid holiday with much excitement, no job and trip back home with frustration and a restart in India.

Initially how can find accommodation? – Look for website like http://www.spareroom.co.uk/ for shared housing, best option is to move with someone you know, may be long lost friend.

Which is right place to stay which give good convince to search JOB. – London

How can i apply Job's once i reached UK ? – Apply on jobsites (Monster, cwjobs etc), register with local recruitment agency branches by personally meeting them and Pray !

How much required to stay in UK to survey at least 2 months. – Shared Housing, around 1200 for 2 months (including food/stay/and other expenses) Provided you live without any fun!

Karuna
BANNED

Reply : I am planning to Travel UK on July end

Post by Karuna » Sun May 23, 2010 11:24 am

Thanks for your valuable reply , which gives more sense and give good understanding about situation.
-karuna

*FC*
Member of Standing

Re: I am planning to Travel UK on July end.

Post by *FC* » Sun May 23, 2010 4:50 pm

Karuna wrote:Hi all,
This is karuna, i have arround 7 yrs of exp in Java J2EE technology,
I am planning to travel UK on July doe JOB search,
Could any one share your experience on the travel and searching JOB's.

Initially how can find accommodation?
Which is right place to stay which give good convince to search JOB.
How can i apply Job's once i reached UK ?
How much required to stay in UK to survey at least 2 months.

Please could any one you share your experience and info to help and suggest me.

-Karuna.
My humble opinion ... .Dont think about approaching anywhere close to the UK in the current scenario, unless you have a few interviews scheduled. Sorry to be clearly honest here, J2EE domain doesn't seem to be in it's best these days and you dont want to be spending your hard earned money here do you?!

Cheers!

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon May 24, 2010 11:13 am

Karuna,

All the previous posts are absolutely right on the J2EE market at the moment and also for the future. J2EE and Java development and design work is no longer well paying.
With 7 years experience, a decent job in India can fetch close to Rs 14lakhs - provided you put some effort and clear interviews. Money spent on some high end certifications towards this cause is way better than buying a ticket to the UK!!!

At the current exchange rate, a package of approx Rs 14lakhs is as good as £26000 in the UK - I state this counting ALL factors - work, career prospects, tax saving schemes, lifestyle, family etc. And if you crack a role and get Rs 18 then thats much more than £26k straight up!!!!!

Just stay put and concentrate on getting a top notch role in a good company back home. J2EE is a mess here :roll:

Cheers
KP

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Tue May 25, 2010 10:08 am

I think one more thing to consider is cost of living..earning 30K Gbp is like earning 21 lacs per annum(net would be 2000 GBP per month ).However you also spend 1500 GBP(1.25 lacs per month in UK)..So ultimately you will end up SAVING 500 GBP(40000 INR)..
So please consider your expenses as well while looking at your income

nasirraza_31

Post by nasirraza_31 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:29 am

Even if you save some less money than you are currently saving in India, then also its a good deal (Provided you get a job) as the standard of life is way better here.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue May 25, 2010 12:51 pm

Quality in life better in the UK - this is very very subjective and depends on the individual planning a career move out here.
Most Tier 1 skilled migrants tend to leave good jobs and come here for the purpose of earning well and saving up. There is a small minority that tend to settle down in the UK with plans of getting their family/making a family home in the UK.

So taking that into consideration, if a well experienced person plans to settle in the UK then yes, overall quality of life is way better out here - but again its all so very subjective on what one qualifies as 'Good Quality Life'
The rest of the experienced lot who have years of quality work under their belt and plan to move here by quitting good jobs, leaving family behind etc are taking a huge risk - which is what we are all highlighting in terms on savings. This category of people tend to stay alone or with friends and shared accomodation and hence dont look into quality of life here as thats not the main reason they are here. And for all those people, in today's market scenario, its not worth the hassles, tension and waste of money quitting and moving over. As I said earlier, pay packages back home are superb today and directly comparable with UK Salary structures for those with quality experience

The rest, I am afraid, is upto the individual only

KP

nasirraza_31

Post by nasirraza_31 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:10 pm

I agree with you KP. It depends from person to person.

I mentioned in my previous post that if you don't care much about savings then your daily quality of life will increase. Comfort level is too high in most part of UK.

Anyways, guys take your decision with open mind. There is no point regretting later.

renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Tue May 25, 2010 1:50 pm

Also consider free (and relatively high quality) Health Care and School.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Tue May 25, 2010 3:10 pm

'quality of life' is very much subjective..I must say that i enjoyed my stay in UK for 3 years.But we missed support after some time..May be we are spoiled and need 'domestic help',but adter a while the whole DIY business was getting out of hand..
Personally we needed support system(read close friends,elders etc) to get some guidence in critical junction of life..There were times when me and my wife would struggle to come to terms...We had good friendfs/collegues but that warmth was missing..May ne just my personal experience...
So i decided to come back to India after spending 4 years in UK and was on HSMP and had a settled job..Again,my personal opinion..
My point is if MONEY is your major criteria to go to UK then think twich,but if you generaly like UK then u r good to go..

pyke

Post by pyke » Sun May 30, 2010 9:20 am

kenfrapin wrote:Quality in life better in the UK - this is very very subjective and depends on the individual planning a career move out here.
Most Tier 1 skilled migrants tend to leave good jobs and come here for the purpose of earning well and saving up. There is a small minority that tend to settle down in the UK with plans of getting their family/making a family home in the UK.

So taking that into consideration, if a well experienced person plans to settle in the UK then yes, overall quality of life is way better out here - but again its all so very subjective on what one qualifies as 'Good Quality Life'
The rest of the experienced lot who have years of quality work under their belt and plan to move here by quitting good jobs, leaving family behind etc are taking a huge risk - which is what we are all highlighting in terms on savings. This category of people tend to stay alone or with friends and shared accomodation and hence dont look into quality of life here as thats not the main reason they are here. And for all those people, in today's market scenario, its not worth the hassles, tension and waste of money quitting and moving over. As I said earlier, pay packages back home are superb today and directly comparable with UK Salary structures for those with quality experience

The rest, I am afraid, is upto the individual only

KP
ashishashah wrote:'quality of life' is very much subjective..

My point is if MONEY is your major criteria to go to UK then think twich,but if you generaly like UK then u r good to go..
Excellent comments there and I fully agree. If financial reasons are your main motivation, you're likely to be better off somewhere else especially in these difficult times. If however, there are other aspects that you are looking for e.g. lifestyle, cultural experiences... that becomes more of a personal decision and all the best to you.