ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA2 application - alternate choices

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ChIrl

EEA2 application - alternate choices

Post by ChIrl » Sun May 23, 2010 9:13 am

Hi

I am really surprised to note that EEA2 applications are taking such long time (more than 6 months) in UK.

I am an Irish national and moving to UK next month to take up employment. My wife is a non-EU and we lived in Ireland together for more than 5 years and have a child born in Ireland and my wife has visa for Ireland until 2014.

Given the delays on EEA2, I am considering other options to get any other visa for UK without excersing EU rights, by paying required fee, for my wife, so that she can travel in and out of UK freely and not worry about all the hassels?

My wife has just received EEA family permit and is planning to go on a long holiday in August for three months, by which time EEA family permit expires.

Would appreciate if anyone can clarify following:
1) Can she travel alone on EEA family permit as the visa type states "VISA EEA FP : FAMILY MEMBER TO acc xxxxx".
2) Can we reapply for EEA FP while EEA2 is in progress?
3) Can we apply for any other visa, as my wife does not work.
4) Can I apply for EEA2 immediately after I start my work in UK?
5) What is the realistic processing time for EEA2 for straightforward application?

Thanks in advance,

Regards

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Sun May 23, 2010 5:33 pm

I am not very clued up on this, but as far as I know, Irish citizens living in Uk have a unique position. They are regarded as having "settled" status when they live in UK. Lets wait for an expert to comment, and if my idea is correct, she can apply for a spouse visa under uk rules from ireland.

WellingtonKiwi

Re: EEA2 application - alternate choices

Post by WellingtonKiwi » Mon May 24, 2010 11:37 am

ChIrl wrote:Hi

I am really surprised to note that EEA2 applications are taking such long time (more than 6 months) in UK.

I am an Irish national and moving to UK next month to take up employment. My wife is a non-EU and we lived in Ireland together for more than 5 years and have a child born in Ireland and my wife has visa for Ireland until 2014.

Given the delays on EEA2, I am considering other options to get any other visa for UK without excersing EU rights, by paying required fee, for my wife, so that she can travel in and out of UK freely and not worry about all the hassels?

My wife has just received EEA family permit and is planning to go on a long holiday in August for three months, by which time EEA family permit expires.

1) Can she travel alone on EEA family permit as the visa type states "VISA EEA FP : FAMILY MEMBER TO acc xxxxx".
5) What is the realistic processing time for EEA2 for straightforward application?

Thanks in advance,

Regards

1. Yes so long as she is coming to join you in the UK
2. Yes, though you will have to request return of your wife’s passport which will submitted for the EEA2, as well as needing some of the same evidence documents (and your wife can only apply for the FP from outside the UK). Your wife could potentially apply for another FP while on holiday but you need to check whether that country accepts applications from visitors.
3. Not sure on this one!
4. Assume you mean the EEA2 for your wife? She has to be in the UK to apply but after that is free to request her passport back for travel purposes
5. My EEA2 took 5 weeks (applied in Nov 2009) ....

Good luck!

JACKY123

Post by JACKY123 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:28 pm

Hi ChIrl

Can you clarify following for me.

1) How long did it take for EEA permit to get ?
2) What are the required documents to apply initially
3) As a Irish National do you need anything when you are travelling to UK ?
4) As a Irish National, after started working in UK, do you need to do any registration ?
5) Are you allowed to claim any social welfare benfits in UK being a Irish National ?

Aprreciate your earliast reply.

Thanks

ChIrl

Post by ChIrl » Sun May 30, 2010 4:29 pm

1) Took 6 days to get EEA permit.
2) Irish national passport copy + Bank statement + utilitiy bils
3) No.
4) no registration required.
5) I think Irish and UK have some agreements where by it allows Irish national to claims social benefits. But, this needs to be confirmed.
JACKY123 wrote:Hi ChIrl

Can you clarify following for me.

1) How long did it take for EEA permit to get ?
2) What are the required documents to apply initially
3) As a Irish National do you need anything when you are travelling to UK ?
4) As a Irish National, after started working in UK, do you need to do any registration ?
5) Are you allowed to claim any social welfare benfits in UK being a Irish National ?

Aprreciate your earliast reply.

Thanks

ChIrl

Re: EEA2 application - alternate choices

Post by ChIrl » Sun May 30, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi WellingtonKiwi,

thanks for the response.

1) I am concerned that visa authorities may not allow her to travel alone as visa says "to accompany xxxxx". Is it a general praicice to write "to accom".
2) Thanks.
3) OK.
4) My wife will be travelling with me to UK and intend to apply for EEA2 immediately.
5) Glad to hear that your application is clared in 5 weeks. Why other applications taking so long? can I also expect my wife's EEA2 application will be processed quickly?

Regards

WellingtonKiwi wrote:
ChIrl wrote:Hi

Thanks in advance,

Regards

1. Yes so long as she is coming to join you in the UK
2. Yes, though you will have to request return of your wife’s passport which will submitted for the EEA2, as well as needing some of the same evidence documents (and your wife can only apply for the FP from outside the UK). Your wife could potentially apply for another FP while on holiday but you need to check whether that country accepts applications from visitors.
3. Not sure on this one!
4. Assume you mean the EEA2 for your wife? She has to be in the UK to apply but after that is free to request her passport back for travel purposes
5. My EEA2 took 5 weeks (applied in Nov 2009) ....

Good luck!

WellingtonKiwi

Post by WellingtonKiwi » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:55 am

Hi ChIrl,

I think it would pay to check with UKBA as to whether she can travel on her own. My EEA FP didn't state 'to accompany', it just says 'Family member of EEA National XX(my partner's name)' so I guess they apply different rules for different cases....

Not too sure about processing times, I hope that my quick turnaround means that they've gotten through some of the backlog, but I still keep hearing of other people who have been waiting for a long time. I don't think there's a 'first in first out' system at all so it's just the luck of the draw.

ChIrl

Post by ChIrl » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:12 pm

Thanks WellingtonKiwi.
WellingtonKiwi wrote:Hi ChIrl,

I think it would pay to check with UKBA as to whether she can travel on her own. My EEA FP didn't state 'to accompany', it just says 'Family member of EEA National XX(my partner's name)' so I guess they apply different rules for different cases....

Not too sure about processing times, I hope that my quick turnaround means that they've gotten through some of the backlog, but I still keep hearing of other people who have been waiting for a long time. I don't think there's a 'first in first out' system at all so it's just the luck of the draw.