ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for spouse naturalization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ib_1
Newly Registered

Applying for spouse naturalization

Post by ib_1 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:52 pm

I have recently got approval for my british citizenship and my ceremony is on 12 th of June.. My wife is already with me for 4 years and she has got ILR. Can anyone tell me if I can apply for her nationality immediately after my naturalization or I have to wait for my passport..

The reason for my question is that if I see the document list from ukba website
http://ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcit ... documents/

It appears I need either my british passport or birth certificate..

Can any senior member could guide me if my certificate of naturalization will work or I have to wait for my passport to apply for her citizenship

John

Post by John » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:27 am

There is no compulsion for a British Citizen to have a British passport. After all they might not intend to travel internationally.

You are British as soon as the Certificate of Naturalisation is handed to you. From that moment, surprise surprise, your wife is married to a British Citizen. Accordingly a 3-year qualifying period then applies to her, which could well mean that she can then apply for her own Naturalisation.
John

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:28 am

John wrote:There is no compulsion for a British Citizen to have a British passport. After all they might not intend to travel internationally.

You are British as soon as the Certificate of Naturalisation is handed to you. From that moment, surprise surprise, your wife is married to a British Citizen. Accordingly a 3-year qualifying period then applies to her, which could well mean that she can then apply for her own Naturalisation.
But the naturalisation form/guide only says "The applicant’s husband’s, wife’s or civil partner’s passport or birth certificate", it doesn't mention that you can provide a naturalisation certificate as proof that your partner is British (this is what ib_1 was pointing out).

ib_1
Newly Registered

Post by ib_1 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:29 am

Yes djb123 is correct,

It is about the documents required for applying as spouse of british national..

Can anyone could help me...

Thanks

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:38 pm

John is correct, you can apply with the naturalisation certificate plus your marriage certificate. If you search the forum you will see where several people have done this.
'In everything give thanks'

ib_1
Newly Registered

Post by ib_1 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:16 pm

OFCHARITY wrote:John is correct, you can apply with the naturalisation certificate plus your marriage certificate. If you search the forum you will see where several people have done this.
Thanks for the answer but if you can guide me to the post it would be helpful.. I tried to search but cannot find the answer

khankhattak

Post by khankhattak » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:12 pm

ib_1 wrote:
OFCHARITY wrote:John is correct, you can apply with the naturalisation certificate plus your marriage certificate. If you search the forum you will see where several people have done this.
Thanks for the answer but if you can guide me to the post it would be helpful.. I tried to search but cannot find the answer
ya u can send ur british citizenship certificate as evidence but why u dont apply for passport first i think it will take not more than a month
plz let me know if im saying anything incorrect