ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need your valuable suggestion. Planning to move by July end

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

aprao_bangalore
Newly Registered

Need your valuable suggestion. Planning to move by July end

Post by aprao_bangalore » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:55 am

Hello All,

I am planning to move to UK sometime by last week of July form Bnagalore. I have a job in India which pays me 14 lacs p.a. and I have the flexibility of continuing the same job from UK. I have my tier 1 visa stamped and have applied dependent visa for my spouse and kid which should be available soon.

I have around 7 years of experience in Java/J2ee web development, SWing. And my spouse is an SAP project manager with over 10 years of experience. We have a 3 year old kid.

Now my concern is this. Can we move to UK and look for a job there? Can we survive with this 14 lacs (which will come to around 1,500 GBP p.m) until one of us get a job? I have posted my CV in job portals and see a lot of requirements which matches my profile but I'm not sure if I can manage get an offer from India!

Please post your valuable suggestions so that we can make a decision on this.

Thanks

*FC*
Member of Standing

Re: Need your valuable suggestion. Planning to move by July

Post by *FC* » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:14 am

aprao_bangalore wrote:Hello All,

I am planning to move to UK sometime by last week of July form Bnagalore. I have a job in India which pays me 14 lacs p.a. and I have the flexibility of continuing the same job from UK. I have my tier 1 visa stamped and have applied dependent visa for my spouse and kid which should be available soon.

I have around 7 years of experience in Java/J2ee web development, SWing. And my spouse is an SAP project manager with over 10 years of experience. We have a 3 year old kid.

Now my concern is this. Can we move to UK and look for a job there? Can we survive with this 14 lacs (which will come to around 1,500 GBP p.m) until one of us get a job? I have posted my CV in job portals and see a lot of requirements which matches my profile but I'm not sure if I can manage get an offer from India!

Thanks
Hi Aprao,

IN answer to your first question, £1500 isn't certainly sufficient for a family of 3 incase you are looking at London or the home counties.
However, I would advise you to keep applying and get a blanket of 4-5 interviews scheduled in a month's frame and travel alone to attend them. I don't see any point in coming here with the whole family in such market circumstances and risk tough times.

FC

aprao_bangalore
Newly Registered

Post by aprao_bangalore » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:34 am

Thanks for your suggestion. Is it a good idea to get a Uk contact number which forwards calls to my present number for job search? will it be of any help?

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:50 am

aprao_bangalore wrote:Thanks for your suggestion. Is it a good idea to get a Uk contact number which forwards calls to my present number for job search? will it be of any help?
I'm not sure how it can be done, but anything that will put you in direct contact with the employers or recruiters will certainly be a good investment! :)

All the best and keep us updated how it goes...

FC

Idea

Post by Idea » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:29 am

Thanks
i dont understand the part about continuing the same job from uk...is it a intra company transfer - in that case it will be unusual to have the same salary paid in london as in Bangalore

IMO you should be comparing the savings in blr vs Uk. and for same 14 lacs it would be case of some in blr Vs none in uk (with a possibility of some expenditure from your pocket)

To give an eg. the rent+c.tax in uk would be min. Rs60k - rent in banglore could not be more than 20k (for same sized flat/house)

aprao_bangalore
Newly Registered

Post by aprao_bangalore » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:49 am

So I understand that at least one of us should have a job offer before moving. My visa start date is 15th July. I have mentioned that in my job profile. Will that affect the number of calls i (might) get?

IMHO4u
BANNED

Post by IMHO4u » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:07 pm

Considering the standards and job market in UK, anyone with 14 lakhs pa and good profile in India .. should consider twice before even buying the ticket.

If you don't agree with above now, you will after coming here. you need more in life than just survive.

namastelondon

Post by namastelondon » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:11 pm

Thanks
U might struggle in London but i believe in other places u will survive.
U can survive in Milton Keynes with this salary. Dont expect any savings.
Well ur skills are no more niche now. Java/j2ee was in demand few year back but not anymore. In Sap jobs are less and so are the candidates.
If you can get some interview scheduled from india then i believe u might have a market here.

sachin_4646

Post by sachin_4646 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:14 pm

aprao,

If you are planning to come to UK just to make savings, you should be careful. The job scenario is quite bad, especially for Java/J2EE. Atleast now, it's not worth to leave the job and move to UK.

However, if you can keep your job in India after moving to UK, you can as well take the risk. Try it out for 4 to 6 months and then decide whether to stay in UK or return to India. I'm sure you'll be satisfied with your decision once you have given it a try.

Wish you good luck.

aprao_bangalore
Newly Registered

Post by aprao_bangalore » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:03 am

Thank you all for your opinions. I will consider these and make a decision by next month :) Also please let me know if there are any specific tips / tricks while looking out for a job.

Regards

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:53 am

aprao_bangalore,

Have you and your family gone over a few basic checks before planning this big move?
1. Total pay between you and your wife in Bangalore compared to 1 person's income in the UK - does it add up?
2. Are you coming to the UK to settle down or save up?
3. Can your wife work here which depends on play school timings for your 3 yr old.

My honest opinion and practical facts
1. Java J2EE is no longer a top skill in the UK. Most companies outsource development and services to Blore which is why demand and pay is so high back home
2. You get Rs 14lakhs and let me assume your wife gets the same which makes your total house hold income in the range of £42000. For a Java J2EE guy with 7 years, this salary is not impossible buy given current market condition very difficult
3. With either 1 or 2 of you working, tax cuts are quite high out here. As your wife is a SAP manager, doubt there will be part time jobs for her to adjust work around the child
4. Cash in hand is much less here given no tax breaks of any sort and the huge expenses. In fact, even if you earn £60k here, end of the day, you will actually save LESS in the UK than you currently save in Blore today

I honestly dont see the point of moving to the UK, leaving 2 great jobs and coming here empty handed - why such a huge risk?
1. Lifestyle here will be nowhere close to what you enjoy in Blore
2. With the money you guys save today, you can afford some luxuries without feeling the pinch - not so the case when you come here
3. Even if you get Rs14 lakhs for a while when you are jobless here, I again fail to understand whats the point? No job, get the whole family here and bear additional tension?

It only makes sense if you guys are moving to the UK to enjoy the lifestyle and perhaps make UK your home in 5 to 10 years time. If not, then what you are planning is absolutely ridiculous and dangerous. I can suggest if only you come here, hunt around for a while and get your family here once you settle in. There is no sense in uprooting your whole livelihood in Blore, quit 2 well settled and well paid jobs, pack up and move here when in the end, you dont have a job here and nor do you know if you and your family will really like the lifestyle in the UK

All the best to you
KP

geeteshanand

Post by geeteshanand » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:04 am

It will be really silly of you to move to London.Believe me you are better off in B'lore. If you are IT and have system implementation experience in finance sector, it maybe worthwhile that too with either JDE or Oracle or other system popular in the finance sector. Coding/development..for all of that there is more scope in US and of course India.

rohitktm

Post by rohitktm » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:25 pm

When you are doing so good in india, why you want to move to UK just for name sake?

honestly, if I get your job, I will move to your country from UK. You will face lots of problem in this country as you are well settled in India and you need to start from scratch (many people do not realize what starting from scratch really means).

As someone has already mentioned Java/J2EE is not in demand in UK as everything is outsourced. SAP might be good but again it depends which part of SAP your wife is working on.

If you really want to move to UK at any cost, I suggest your wife to move first...as SAP might get something (but again depends her area of expertise) and after she settle a bit, you and your child can move.

But if I were you, I would never leave India just to move to UK.

IMHO4u
BANNED

Post by IMHO4u » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:35 pm

rohitktm wrote:When you are doing so good in india, why you want to move to UK just for name sake?

honestly, if I get your job, I will move to your country from UK. You will face lots of problem in this country as you are well settled in India and you need to start from scratch (many people do not realize what starting from scratch really means).

As someone has already mentioned Java/J2EE is not in demand in UK as everything is outsourced. SAP might be good but again it depends which part of SAP your wife is working on.

If you really want to move to UK at any cost, I suggest your wife to move first...as SAP might get something (but again depends her area of expertise) and after she settle a bit, you and your child can move.

But if I were you, I would never leave India just to move to UK.

Some Sense in those words ... looks like coming from someone who is 'been there, done that'