ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Trouble findig a job with EEA FP...

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

katka1311

Trouble findig a job with EEA FP...

Post by katka1311 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi, my husband -non EEA national came to the UK on EEA FP. Both of us are looking for jobs at the moment, however he has trouble convincing potential employers that he is eligible to work in the UK. Is there any phone number, helpline, he could give to the employers, so they could call and ask about the EEA FP and the right to work with it..
Thank you.

jumpingzombie

Post by jumpingzombie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:48 pm

Hello.

I'm a non EEA citizen and my husband is an EEA national.
I applied for a resident card by the EEA2 form in February this year, and have been waiting for it since then.

My EEA FP expired on the 17th of May,but I had a job interview this Tuesday and got through it.
Now I'm required to show a copy of my passport and my visa status.
I received the Certificate of Application from the UKBA in March, so I'll hand in it and a copy of my passport, and this page in UKBA website printed out.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucit ... sibilites/

It's described about the rights of the EEA citizens and their families living in the UK. I'm not sure if it works,but people who've already got the right to live and work are totally not familiar with visa matters....

ecoj
- thin ice -

Post by ecoj » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:08 pm

isn't there something equivalent to a US. Social Security Card? what about a National ID card, isn't that available to get as well?

WellingtonKiwi

Re: Trouble findig a job with EEA FP...

Post by WellingtonKiwi » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:12 pm

katka1311 wrote:Hi, my husband -non EEA national came to the UK on EEA FP. Both of us are looking for jobs at the moment, however he has trouble convincing potential employers that he is eligible to work in the UK. Is there any phone number, helpline, he could give to the employers, so they could call and ask about the EEA FP and the right to work with it..
Thank you.
Hi, there is an employer's helpline: 0845 010 6677 which supposedly employers can ring to verify right to work...

ecoj
- thin ice -

Post by ecoj » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:22 pm

WellingtonKiwi wrote:
katka1311 wrote:Hi, my husband -non EEA national came to the UK on EEA FP. Both of us are looking for jobs at the moment, however he has trouble convincing potential employers that he is eligible to work in the UK. Is there any phone number, helpline, he could give to the employers, so they could call and ask about the EEA FP and the right to work with it..
Thank you.
Hi, there is an employer's helpline: 0845 010 6677 which supposedly employers can ring to verify right to work...
is there such a thing as a social security card in the UK? if so, how do you apply to get one?

BLK235

Post by BLK235 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:13 pm

ecoj wrote:
is there such a thing as a social security card in the UK? if so, how do you apply to get one?
It's called National Insurance Number (NIN for short), which is issued on a card.

677ano

Post by 677ano » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:53 pm

ecoj wrote:
WellingtonKiwi wrote:
Thank you.
call job centre plus or go to www.direct.gov.uk and apply for a national insurance that is equivalent to the USA social security number
we can all change our stars

katka1311

Post by katka1311 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:11 am

Hi there...congratulations to you jumpingzobie, that you fingd a job...lets see what is in our luck...anyhow finally my husband get his first job interview, lets see how it goes.

katka1311

Post by katka1311 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:17 am

WellingtonKiwi wrote:
Thank you.
thanks for the number wellingtonkiwi, I really appreciate it...for the NIN number we have already applied and are waiting for the appointment.
I have one more question...is it better to apply for the FMRS or not to apply for it at all, just wait until my WRS 12 months are done- since i am from one of the A8 countries/, and both of us apply for the EEA1+2. after my 12 month finished.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:43 am

ecoj wrote:what about a National ID card, isn't that available to get as well?
Sore subject.
BLK235 wrote:
ecoj wrote:
It's called National Insurance Number (NIN for short), which is issued on a card.
Indeed. However it's important to note that possession of a National Insurance number or card is not proof of the right to work in the UK.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:45 am

katka1311 wrote:
WellingtonKiwi wrote:
Thank you.
thanks for the number wellingtonkiwi, I really appreciate it...for the NIN number we have already applied and are waiting for the appointment.
I have one more question...is it better to apply for the FMRS or not to apply for it at all, just wait until my WRS 12 months are done- since i am from one of the A8 countries/, and both of us apply for the EEA1+2. after my 12 month finished.
Its totally your choice. If you havent got too long to wait until you finish your 12 months on WRS, then I would think it will be better to apply straight for eea1+2. If you spouse applies for FMRS he wont have his passport with him for some time, and then again he will have part with his passport for eea2. So depending upon your circumstances, you can choose whats best for you.

jumpingzombie

Post by jumpingzombie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:45 am

Hi there...congratulations to you jumpingzobie, that you fingd a job...lets see what is in our luck...anyhow finally my husband get his first job interview, lets see how it goes.
I hope your husband will find a job soon.

I really understand the difficulties to look for a job for the EEA permit holders, as it lasts just for 6month. When I was looking for a job at first in the UK, job interviewers weren't willing to employ me after they recognised the expiry date of my EEA FP, even if I explained I was married to an EEA citizen, and would be a resident.
is it better to apply for the FMRS or not to apply for it at all, just wait until my WRS 12 months are done- since i am from one of the A8 countries/, and both of us apply for the EEA1+2. after my 12 month finished.
It depends when your 12 months WRS period is completed, and your husband's EEA FP is expired. If your husband's EEA FP is expired before you fulfill the 12months WRS period, he'll need to apply for the FMRS.But if your WRS period is completed while your husban's EEA FP is valid, he won't need to apply for the FMRS,and then it's ready to apply for the EEA1+2 together.

katka1311

Post by katka1311 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:54 am

my husbands EEA FP expires on 22.10.2010. I still do not have a job yet, so I suppose, if even I get one maybe by july or august/the latest/still my WRS woudl finish July 2011. But meanwhile my husbands FP would already expire in october, so I guess it is better to apply for his FMRS..but then again..how long does it take...Ive read that it might take more than 6 months???? so we would be without our passports since oct 2010 till they approve the FMRS..and if it takes long, lets say until my WRS finishes, than again we have to submit our passports again for the EEA1+2 and it might take again forever, Am I correct? so how do we travel, lets say if my husband wants to come to Slovakia...it is better to travel before we start to proceed with his papers, right?
and one more thing..if I would not be able to find a job, only him -or lets say if only I have a job..what is the procedure for FMRS and EEA1+2? can he still apply for FMRS based on that only he is working? thanks for all your insights...

jumpingzombie

Post by jumpingzombie » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:39 pm

my husbands EEA FP expires on 22.10.2010. I still do not have a job yet, so I suppose, if even I get one maybe by july or august/the latest/still my WRS woudl finish July 2011. But meanwhile my husbands FP would already expire in october, so I guess it is better to apply for his FMRS..
Yes,then he needs to apply for the FMRS before his current EEA FP is expired, but you need to find a job and register under the WRS at first.

I'm not sure how long it takes to get the FMRS, because I've never applied for it. But if it takes 6 or even more than 6 months as you said, it sounds really unlogic or ridiculous as the FMRS covers just for an year, or actually up to the period that an EEA citizen completes to register under the WRS.
if it takes long, lets say until my WRS finishes, than again we have to submit our passports again for the EEA1+2 and it might take again forever, Am I correct? so how do we travel, lets say if my husband wants to come to Slovakia...it is better to travel before we start to proceed with his papers, right?
I agree with you. It takes time for the procedures to prepare a bunch of documents to submit for the EEA FP,and next for the Resident card, waiting for long time without applicant's passport. It's enough annoying,but applying for the FMRS is even one more step. So, I guess it's better to travel while both of you hold your travel documents, as you said. Both I and my husband's passports have been in the UKBA, and he can travel in Europe with his ID, as he's an EEA citizen, but not for me. I can't leave the UK, I haven't got only my proper official ID, as my country doesn't issue any ID cards.
if I would not be able to find a job, only him -or lets say if only I have a job..what is the procedure for FMRS and EEA1+2? can he still apply for FMRS based on that only he is working?
You need to find a job and register under the WRS to apply for your non EEA national spouse' FMRS, if I understand correctly, because the FMRS is a stamp for a non EEA citizen who's the family member of an EEA national under the WRS.
If only he has a job,not you.... it's not eligible to apply for his FMRS.
Then, you need to be self sufficient or self-employed or something to apply for his visa??? Sorry I'm not sure about it....