ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation referee gave his office address - is that ok?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Kotiara

Naturalisation referee gave his office address - is that ok?

Post by Kotiara » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:55 pm

I asked my GP to be my referee and sign the naturalisaion form. He signed the form but gave his office address when he filled line 5.6 (Address). He also put his stamp there with his name and address.

2 questions.

1. Is it acceptable for a referee to give his professional address rather than home address? Will that be ok with the Home Office? I would feel a bit uneasy asking my GP to give his home address unless its required by the Home Office.

2. Is it ok that he has put his stamp in 5.6 with his name and full address instead of writing his address by hand? I dont mind going back to him and asking him to write it if it's important for the Home Office.

krimith

Re: Naturalisation referee gave his office address - is that

Post by krimith » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:36 pm

Kotiara wrote:I asked my GP to be my referee and sign the naturalisaion form. He signed the form but gave his office address when he filled line 5.6 (Address). He also put his stamp there with his name and address.

2 questions.

1. Is it acceptable for a referee to give his professional address rather than home address? Will that be ok with the Home Office? I would feel a bit uneasy asking my GP to give his home address unless its required by the Home Office.
Its ok for address bec he/she is your GP, HO not mind about address they just want proffesional referee

2. Is it ok that he has put his stamp in 5.6 with his name and full address instead of writing his address by hand? I dont mind going back to him and asking him to write it if it's important for the Home Office.
Ans Q-1
Its ok for address bec he/she is your GP, HO not mind about address they just want proffesional referee
Ans Q-2
I think if he/she write by hand so better but if he put stamp and other things he/she write by hand so ok for example he/she passport No,date and signature

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:11 pm

The requirements of a referee for a naturalisation application is:

- they have known the applicant personally for more than 3 years;
- they are willing to give full details of their knowledge of the applicant;

(This is different to the requirement of a person who countersigns passport applications)

Now if your relationship with your GP is only of a medical nature, then he is pretty useless as a referee as he will be able to tell the HO nothing if they contact him (which could potentially cause problems with your application). If though you do know your GP on a personal level then there shouldn't be any real problem with getting his home address.

senthil78
Member of Standing

Post by senthil78 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:17 pm

Kotiara wrote:I asked my GP to be my referee and sign the naturalisaion form. He signed the form but gave his office address when he filled line 5.6 (Address). He also put his stamp there with his name and address.

2 questions.

I think that the Home address is important to carry out any check against referee if HO wants to do. If HO wants they can always contact him and get his detail as the contact details are available with them. But I would suggest you to request him to fill the home address.

krimith

Post by krimith » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:28 pm

djb123 wrote:The requirements of a referee for a naturalisation application is:

(This is different to the requirement of a person who countersigns passport applications)

Now if your relationship with your GP is only of a medical nature, then he is pretty useless as a referee as he will be able to tell the HO nothing if they contact him (which could potentially cause problems with your application). If though you do know your GP on a personal level then there shouldn't be any real problem with getting his home address.
djb123, no thats not right bec when i was apply so first one GP and second one my friend they both was my refree so GP is fine for refree

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:42 pm

krimith wrote:

djb123, no thats not right bec when i was apply so first one GP and second one my friend they both was my refree so GP is fine for refree
It is right, but in most cases the HO don't contact the referees - I've been a referee for a few citizenship applications and never been contacted. If though they do decide to contact the referee and he can say nothing about the applicant (my GP knows nothing about me apart from my medical history) then it could cause problems with your application. Maybe the HO would insist for example you provide another referee.

krimith

Post by krimith » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:11 pm

djb123 wrote:
krimith wrote:

It is right, but in most cases the HO don't contact the referees - I've been a referee for a few citizenship applications and never been contacted. If though they do decide to contact the referee and he can say nothing about the applicant (my GP knows nothing about me apart from my medical history) then it could cause problems with your application. Maybe the HO would insist for example you provide another referee.
Thats true but my GP know me last 5years but compare to me my husband last five years he was gone only one time to see GP but still HO accept refree for him

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:21 pm

2 questions.

Can I say, dont worry about this too much. What you have done is right. I know dozens of people who got references from GPs just like you. No need for GPs home address in particular. Their practice address is just fine, because its still an address they can be contacted on. I am exactly going to do the same thing when I apply for citizenship in a few months time. :D

Iman230

Help with Application to naturalise as a British (AN)

Post by Iman230 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:36 am

Hi,

Just a few questions to ask just to ensure it's filled out correctly.

Hi,

My Spouse am in the processing of applying for ‘naturalisation’ and I just wanted to clarify points 1.5 – Surname/Family name and 1.6.

Now for this purpose can my spouse apply for the certificate to be in her married name (e.g first name and spouse surname) for point 1.5, and then in point 1.6, apply the full first name and maiden surname?

Questions from Form

1.5 Surname/Family name (Note: The name you give here will be the name shown on your certificate so please ensure it is spelt correctly and you have written it in the correct order):

1.6 Other names (Please note: Your name will be shown on your certificate so please ensure it is spelt correctly and you have written it in the correct order. We would expect this to be the same as on your official documents. If this name is not the name used on your current passport or travel document, or is spelt differently, you must explain why on page 24)

Hope you can help to clarify

regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Help with Application to naturalise as a British (AN)

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:17 pm

1.5 is the surname
1.6 is the first name and any second name

Maiden name is written in at 1.7.

Her name on the certificate will match what is in her passport. So if her passport has her married surname, unless you have a deed poll or official documentation showing her change in name back to maiden name, it is likely to be issued in her married name.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Iman230

Post by Iman230 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:33 pm

So correct me if I am wrong?

The name on the naturalisation certificate will be made in the maiden name?

I want my spouse to be able to have her:
Drivers licence in her married surname and having her maiden name removed and also any other forms of ID including her prospective British Passport once she naturalises as a british citizen.

Does it require a deed poll for this, I thought once you get married you dont need to deed poll your name?

Also: her passport is due to expire later on this year (Nov) so rather than renew it we will apply for a British Passport with her married surname?

Please help, im confused

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:00 pm

When did you get married as it sounds like it is recent if all her ID documents are in her maiden name?

What does her ILR BRP card have for her name?

If her current foreign passport is in her maiden name, it might cause a delay.

Just as an aside, HMPO appear to be refusing first time British passport applications recently due to the fact that the foreign passports have not been updated and changed to married suname. See link below

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 79624.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Iman230

Post by Iman230 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:29 pm

We have been married for over 5 years, but we didn't get round to changing the foreign passport. (and the passport is now expiring this year)

Her ILR BRP has her maiden name

Can my spouse have the married surname applied to her naturalisation cert?
As when the cert is issued and my spouse applies for the first British passport can this be then applied in the new married surname

Iman230

Form AN: 5. Referees and Identity

Post by Iman230 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:50 pm

Hi all

My Spouse is due to be applying for her Naturalisation but have now stumbled across the following Section (Section 5)
  • For the first Referee, can my other half use someone from her place of birth to be used in the section as shown below?
  • Can the GP referee her also? (Has anyone got a list of the acceptable professional people)

The problem lies with finding anyone who can referee the wife for someone who she has known for three years. Can anyone provide any help or guidance in this matter?

regards

5.1 One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, eg minister
of religion, civil servant, or a member of a professional body e.g. accountant or solicitor (who is not
representing you with this application). The other referee must normally be the holder of a British
citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25.
Both should declare that:
• they are not a relative, solicitor or agent of the applicant;
• they are not employed by the Home Office;
• they have not been convicted of an imprisonable offence (unless that conviction can be
disregarded in line with the table shown on page 17 of the Booklet AN);
• they have known the applicant personally for more than 3 years;
• they are willing to give full details of their knowledge of the applicant;
• they will advise the Home Office of any reason why the applicant should not be naturalised.

Iman230

Post by Iman230 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:51 am

mrlookforward wrote:

2 questions.

Can I say, dont worry about this too much. What you have done is right. I know dozens of people who got references from GPs just like you. No need for GPs home address in particular. Their practice address is just fine, because its still an address they can be contacted on. I am exactly going to do the same thing when I apply for citizenship in a few months time. :D
How did you get on #mrlookforward with your application and REFEREE section?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:55 am

2 questions.

1. Yes, business contact details are acceptable.

See https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 50429_.pdf
Those acting in a professional capacity may not wish to provide their personal details. In such cases, we would be content for the person acting as a referee to put his or her business contact details. In addition, if the person does not wish their passport details to be seen by the person applying for citizenship, they can omit this from the form, entering “details available on request”
2. I think the referee should fill in the form by hand (or else type their details) and making sure it all fits within the boxes;
using a stamp will obscure the boxes on the form.

(If a professional referee also wants to stamp their address in the 'Additional Information' section of the form that would probably be acceptable).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:57 am

Iman230 wrote:
mrlookforward wrote:

2 questions.

(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:59 am

Iman230 wrote:
mrlookforward wrote:

2 questions.

You won't get a reply from mrlookforward as he was banned from the forum
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Re: Form AN: 5. Referees and Identity

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:08 pm

Iman230 wrote:Hi all

My Spouse is due to be applying for her Naturalisation but have now stumbled across the following Section (Section 5)
  • For the first Referee, can my other half use someone from her place of birth to be used in the section as shown below?
  • Can the GP referee her also? (Has anyone got a list of the acceptable professional people)

The problem lies with finding anyone who can referee the wife for someone who she has known for three years. Can anyone provide any help or guidance in this matter?

regards

5.1 One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, eg minister
of religion, civil servant, or a member of a professional body e.g. accountant or solicitor (who is not
representing you with this application). The other referee must normally be the holder of a British
citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25.
Both should declare that:
• they are not a relative, solicitor or agent of the applicant;
• they are not employed by the Home Office;
• they have not been convicted of an imprisonable offence (unless that conviction can be
disregarded in line with the table shown on page 17 of the Booklet AN);
• they have known the applicant personally for more than 3 years;
• they are willing to give full details of their knowledge of the applicant;
• they will advise the Home Office of any reason why the applicant should not be naturalised.
See list here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ersons.pdf

Yes you can ask a non-British citizen as the professional referee if you have to but this may cause delays.
Shoot for someone from UK if at all possible;
think out of the box, a pub landlord can sign, as can a religious minister, teacher (think ESOL teacher), etc.

The 2nd referee can be a family friend or acquaintance as long as they are aged over 25.

Ref: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 50429_.pdf

As a last resort...
If the applicant is living abroad and does not know a British citizen passport holder who is a professional person or over the age of 25, a Commonwealth citizen or citizen of the country in which he or she is residing may complete and sign the form, provided:
he/she is over 25
or has a professional standing in that country and
has known the applicant for three years, and
the Consul considers his/her signature to be acceptable

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:49 pm

The following details from UKBA (now HO) may help you if you really have difficulty in finding any referee at all:
british-citizenship/accepted-profession ... ba#p769738

Iman230

Post by Iman230 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:58 pm

Our Doctor has known my wife since she has entered the UK (Aug 2011), but knows her from when she visits the surgery and at times when my wife was expecting, he suggests paying £30.00 for the service.

Will the GP/Doctor suffice?

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:02 pm

If you read through the accepted referees for BC applications, you will see that 'Doctor' has been removed from the list. Assuming you were intending to use your GP as a professional referee.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ersons.pdf
(Casa, not CR001)

cool mind

Post by cool mind » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:08 pm

GP should be acceptable because that list do have practitioners and practitioners is a very wide term including banking practitioner, financial practitioner even general practitioner which GP is.

MK123

Post by MK123 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:08 pm

I see the below 2 entries in the link above.

1. Director/Manager/Personnel Officer of a VAT registered Company
2. Manager/Personnel officer (of limited company)

Does it mean my friend who is a director of a limited company can sign the form ?

Thanks

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:20 pm

Yes.
(Casa, not CR001)