ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council tax needed for ILR?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Wee

Council tax needed for ILR?

Post by Wee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:19 pm

Can anyone tell me if we have to be paying council tax to get ILR? Our landlord is paying it for us so we do not have anything under our name. Does the home office do checks to see if you are paying?

senthil78
Member of Standing

Re: Council tax needed for ILR?

Post by senthil78 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:28 pm

Wee wrote:Can anyone tell me if we have to be paying council tax to get ILR? Our landlord is paying it for us so we do not have anything under our name. Does the home office do checks to see if you are paying?
If you are not convicted for not paying council tax, you are fine. It doesn't matter who pays the council tax.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:19 pm

senthil78 wrote:
Wee wrote:Can anyone tell me if we have to be paying council tax to get ILR? Our landlord is paying it for us so we do not have anything under our name. Does the home office do checks to see if you are paying?
If you are not convicted for not paying council tax, you are fine. It doesn't matter who pays the council tax.
They do though seem to check what council tax is being paid on a property and do pull people in for interviews if they are unhappy (even if the person hasn't been convicted...)

So as long your landlord is paying the correct amount you should have no issues.

shs213

Post by shs213 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:44 pm

As long as you have not dodged CT pretending to be a student or any CT exzempted category - you should be fine...

Wee

Post by Wee » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:31 pm

I've read that the landlord is liable for council tax if the flat is in multiple occupation ie the tenants have separate agreements and rent. So my point is that whatever the landlord does with the council tax has nothing to do with the tenants and hopefully not affect our ILR if for example landlord doesn't pay the council tax or applies for discount it will not affect us. I have the feeling our landlord is abut dodgy.

Wee

Post by Wee » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:56 am

Can anyone help me on this?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:13 pm

Wee wrote:I've read that the landlord is liable for council tax if the flat is in multiple occupation
Source?
Who is responsible for paying the bill? wrote:There's one Council Tax bill for each home. Usually the person living in the property has to pay the bill. Spouses and partners who live together are both responsible for paying the bill.

The person at the top or nearest to the top of the following list has to pay the bill:
• lives in the property and owns it
• lives in the property and has a lease (this includes 'assured tenants' under the Housing Act 1988)
• lives in the property and is a 'statutory' or 'secure' tenant
• lives in the property and isn't a tenant but has permission to live there
• lives in the property (for example a squatter)
• has a lease of six months or more on the property, but doesn't live there
• owns the property but doesn't live there
Where do you fit in the list?

regards

Wee

Post by Wee » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:15 pm

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scrip ... entID=3287

This is where i read landlords are responsible for council tax if it is in multiple accomodation

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:31 pm

In that case, you have nothing to worry about ... because you are (or were) not supposed to pay council tax as a tenant in a home under multiple occupancy.

regards