ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I am an Indian but confused about my true identity

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

geeteshanand

I am an Indian but confused about my true identity

Post by geeteshanand » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:34 am

Do we have to do as the Romans do or in effect we are embarrassed of our culture when in phirangi land?

What is the corporate language of India? What if I give a farewell speech in hindi at Goldman Sachs,Mumbai incase I was moving to another company?

Why do politicians in India, the army, the police, the navy, the air force, the business tycoons of india admire bollywood so much? Am I a loser if I am not in bollywood (this name also comes from Hollywood)..did you guys check out the rubbish Blue..what artificial tashan..Bahamas..in an effort to be different. I know it didn't do well with the audience..but my point is, perception..how people think..first thought. What the f***..why does a bollywood celeb try and be the role model for the masses through advertisements, TV shows..people in the rural worship Amitabh..not just rural people though.
When hollywood makes a rubbish and if they refer to India..all they know is f***** kamasutra, kings and villagers, call centres, flat accents, people wearing turbans and cows on the streets. So why the hell do we try and ape them in superior light?

Where did Mr Mohandas Gandhi live, study and practice law?
If we had all the wealth..so much that now the queen has it all...why couldn't we develop superior standards for our country?

Why is getting into IIM,IIT so cut throat? Can I only expect a lifestyle if I was from an IIT/IIM in India? We only boast of excellence...what about the masses..they also want a good lifestyle..how do they afford it...either they become politicians..get into the IIT/IIM or inherit wealth..why cant we all live a normal world class quality lifestyle in India? I have to spend a fortune or be really excellent in my field of career if I wanted to buy a normal car like a Honda Accord/CRV/Civic in India..whereas if I was overseas..in a normal professional job(nothing elite like investment banking or a doctor or a lawyer or a successful businessman), i still can afford the range.Whereas in India the furthest I would go would be a Hyundai I10 or any car in the 7-8 lakh range..a range that is considered sloppy in the west.

Why do desi girls in the US and UK bar guys living in India to propose to them through matrimonial websites?
Why do we look for mod guys and girls for marriage or a relationship..both need to be polished right?..polished meaning good english...good phirangi tastes...good brands..knows how to carry herself/himself...must like wine and be english basically..we want fusion because pure desi is behanji or bhaiji..

Why do we crave for a foreign visa? Why do we show off our phirangi exposure when we visit India even though its done sensibly by not going over the board?

We take pride in wearing and driving brands that belong to the phirangi land? Why do we talk to cafe staff in English in a mall in india?

Why do we want to be compared to an italian when it comes to good looks?

Will we eat roti and sabzi outside of our homes when living in phirangi land?

Guys and girls please give me some perspective here because I am an INDIAN in heart,mind and soul. I am raw had I typed broken english here or typed in Hindi had my key board allowed it.

Germans, chinese, french,arabic..take immese pride in their culture.
And when we say we are proud of our culture..are we just trying to sound good and look good?

I am an Indian..so does that mean I need to be a mix of desi+english because my culture was influenced by the english a while ago..now wont that be a good excuse to not being just desi:)..I KNOW there are many exceptions to the above..but this is about people and things I come across and see everyday in my life at least.

Thetruthprevials

Post by Thetruthprevials » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:55 am

Whaa? you lost me there..

geeteshanand

Post by geeteshanand » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:40 am

Edward R. Murrow has said and I quote "Anyone Who Isn't Really Confused Doesn't Understand The Situation."

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:34 pm

Can you please stick to Immigration matters only in the future please. :roll: