ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council tax, Child tax credits and other allowances

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ash321

Council tax, Child tax credits and other allowances

Post by ash321 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

I am dependent of Tier-1 general visa my husband is working I am studying, I informed the local council that I am a studying, they also looked my visa stamps and they given me exemption from council tax. will it be effect when applying for ILR?
can we take child tax credits or not? which kind of allowances we shouldn't take.
Thanks and Regards

John

Post by John » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:15 pm

I informed the local council that I am a studying, they also looked my visa stamps and they given me exemption from council tax. will it be effect when applying for ILR?
That is totally OK. The discount you are talking about must not be confused with Council Tax Benefit, which might well cause a problem.
can we take child tax credits or not? which kind of allowances we shouldn't take.
This is actually a complicated matter. Could you please post details of the nationality of you and your husband, and also if either of you worked in another country, apart from that of your nationality, before coming to the UK, details please.
John

ash321

Post by ash321 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:24 pm

You are right, I asked council people and they told me that this is not a council tax benefits, it is a different from exemptions, We came here in 2006 on student visa and then after we got hsmp in 2007 and now it is extended. We don't have any other nationalities apart from our home country India,. presently we r on tier-1 general visas.
Thanks

John

Post by John » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:02 pm

As both of you are from India, and presumably have not worked in any country, apart from India and the UK, you must not claim any Public Funds .... not until you have ILR.

Public Funds include benefits such as Child Benefit and Tax Credits.
John

ash321

Post by ash321 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:38 pm

How about to take coucil tax exmpetions? will it be counted as public funds?

Thanks and Regards

John

Post by John » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:16 pm

That was answered yesterday.
John