ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling outside the UK using ILR after being naturalised

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

luky-marina
Newly Registered

Travelling outside the UK using ILR after being naturalised

Post by luky-marina » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:18 pm

Hello
my citizenship ceremony is scheduled by my Coulcil on July 13th (they do it once a 1.5 month), which is just couple of weeks prior to me travelling outside the UK (coming back in September).
So there will be not enough time to apply for British passport.

I cannot delay my trip, I cannot cancel my flights so I will go anyway using my original national passport with a residence permit endosed in it.

The question is - what shall I do in regards to passport control when I come back? Shall I declare my statys (passportless BC:)) to the customs and explain the situation or quietly sneak in using my ILR stamp?
What channel shall I use at the airport - BC or other passports line?

Please share your experience if you got one. Thank you.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:30 pm

There has been much discussion about this matter many a times. Pls try to trawl through the forum.

luky-marina
Newly Registered

Post by luky-marina » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:45 pm

Done. I scrolled down the pages, looked at the topics - did not recognise any one relevant to my question, unfortunately:((
I'm happy to put it through the searching facility, but not sure what key words should I use to target my query correctly.... can you think of any? Thank you.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:54 pm

Just carry your original Naturalisation certificate. You might have to wait there for a bit, while they do their checks. But you wont be refused entry. I am telling you because I know about it, but you are welcome to engage in discussions with other members about all the legalities and jargon, lol.

luky-marina
Newly Registered

Post by luky-marina » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:16 pm

mrlookforward wrote:Just carry your original Naturalisation certificate. You might have to wait there for a bit, while they do their checks. But you wont be refused entry. I am telling you because I know about it, but you are welcome to engage in discussions with other members about all the legalities and jargon, lol.
Thanks a lot:)) which line shall use at the airport - BC or "other passports"?

Talking about legalities, yes would be wonderful to get a few useful quotations and links from some knowledgeable fellow members:))... just in case....

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Just read the signs at the airport.

It wont be wonderful, some people just havent got a clue but they just jump to give an opinion.

luky-marina
Newly Registered

Post by luky-marina » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:41 pm

mrlookforward wrote:Just read the signs at the airport.
Sorry to be a pest:)) there are only two lines - EU and other passports. Shall I consider myself EU after the ceremony?
I would not mind to hear from people who actually experienced the above situation: what they did, what they said. Thanks.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:47 pm

Will you be carrying an EU passport?
You have already answered your own question actually. :)

luky-marina
Newly Registered

Post by luky-marina » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:07 pm

mrlookforward wrote:Will you be carrying an EU passport?
You have already answered your own question actually. :)
Sorry, didn't make myself clear. I'm not EU citizen at the moment (otherwise there would be no at all questions), but will be after the ceremony (UK is EU country isn't it?), BUT I will have no passport to prove my EU citizenship, only Certificate of Naturalisation, so..... shall I consider myself EU anyway and join the EU line at the airport?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:11 pm

You mentioned

there are only two lines - EU and other passports.

So join the que according to the passport you are carrying.

luky-marina
Newly Registered

Post by luky-marina » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:30 pm

mrlookforward wrote:You mentioned there are only two lines - EU and other passports. So join the que according to the passport you are carrying.
:D got it now. So I join the "other passports" que, fill in the landing card, produce my valid travel document, declare my BC-no-passport-yet status and wait for their blessing:)) is it correct?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:36 pm

I dunno, haha. Why are you thinking and planning so so deep. Just carry your naturalisation certificate, and you will have nothing to worry abt.

luky-marina
Newly Registered

Post by luky-marina » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:47 pm

mrlookforward wrote:But you wont be refused entry. I am telling you because I know about it,
Mrlookforward, thank you for your input so far, have you been in this situation yourself or know anybody who was?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:09 pm

I think I have just been wasting my time.

luky-marina
Newly Registered

Post by luky-marina » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:12 pm

I do really appreciate it, thank you mrlookforward.

roshanna
Newly Registered

Post by roshanna » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:41 pm

luky-marina wrote:
mrlookforward wrote:But you wont be refused entry. I am telling you because I know about it,
Mrlookforward, thank you for your input so far, have you been in this situation yourself or know anybody who was?
Last September just a week after I had my BC certeficate I had to travel abroad. Yes it was an emergency situation and hence this "PASSPORT" thing never crossed my mind. On arrival, after 2 and half weeks later, just took the same old normal channel I use to take before(OTHER PASSPORTS). No one bothered to ask me any extra questions and it was as easy as it use to be before.

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Join whichever line you like, show your naturalisation certificate along with your foreign passport and you shouldn't need to even fill in a landing card. This was my personal experience.
'In everything give thanks'

luky-marina
Newly Registered

Post by luky-marina » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:49 pm

Thank you all, guys, for sharing your experience. I have been also advised to use the Other Passports channel and keep quiet about my Nat Certificate unless asked, and this is what I think I'm gonna do.:))