ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Babies born abroad to ILR parents

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

zeba_s7
Newly Registered

Babies born abroad to ILR parents

Post by zeba_s7 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi:
I have got two queries about Birth Registration and British Passport for our babies (twins) who were born on 1st June 2010.

I and my husband have been issued ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) in Jan 2010. Due to my husband's work assignment (working full time employee at BT, London), we had to come down to India for six months starting April 2010. I was pregnant when I came down to India and as mentioned we were blessed with twins on 1st June 2010.

I understand that babies born in UK are eligible for British Passport automatically to parents with ILR status. We missed on this great opportunity for our babies given we had to move to India for my husband’s international assignment for a "British" company. We did take legal advice from immigration lawyers in UK before travelling to India and were suggested that we register our child’s birth with UK consulate in India. I enquired with UK consulate in India and they disagreed with my assumption. Could you please confirm the same for us and tell us what process and documentation should we follow for the same? We believe this has to be looked at as special case rather than general rule given we missed for our husband’s international assignment. Are there any examples of such exceptions which could help us.

Many thanks in advance.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:55 pm

Well, I'm no expert on citizenship, but look at it this way;

Are your twins British by Birth? - No, not born in UK

Are they British by Decent? - No, neither parent is British.

So to me that means they are Indian, like Cliff Richard, and unfortunately for you a huge whack in settlement fees....

I could be wrong tho....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

zeba_s7
Newly Registered

Post by zeba_s7 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks..
I agree with you.. but this is a case of baby not born in UK because of serving British corporation, so not sure if general logic applies.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:06 pm

zeba_s7 wrote:Thanks..
I agree with you.. but this is a case of baby not born in UK because of serving British corporation, so not sure if general logic applies.
No, you could argue the Corporation may well have Americans as the majority of shareholders, so should the kids be Americans. I wouldn't wish that on anyone....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:45 pm

zeba_s7 wrote:Thanks..
maybe if youu were working for the British Govt you might have a chance, even then i am not sure if there is a provision to register. Maybe you could ask your legal adviser to clarify as there could be some route to apply through

HRY2005
Member of Standing

Post by HRY2005 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:42 pm

As you both have ILR and only in India for 6 months, your twins would definately be British citizens after your return to the UK. I really dont think there's any difference, it's a question when? Unless you never returned to the UK in 2 years on your ILR.

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong
Live and let live

John

Post by John » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Arrh yes, but when after they return to the UK?

The only way of making the twins British will be for an application for Registration to be made, when one or both of the parents applies for Naturalisation, or later, when one or both parents is already British.
John

HRY2005
Member of Standing

Post by HRY2005 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

John wrote:Arrh yes, but when after they return to the UK?

The only way of making the twins British will be for an application for Registration to be made, when one or both of the parents applies for Naturalisation, or later, when one or both parents is already British.
Thanks John, that was exactly what I was saying. It's a question of time.
Live and let live