ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA4 to naturalisation despite a seperation.

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Kramer
Newly Registered

EEA4 to naturalisation despite a seperation.

Post by Kramer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:22 pm

Hello,
I am in a precarious position and would like to obtain some guidance. Me and my partner who is an EEA national have been with each other and lived in UK for ages, and now we both have permanent residences. She has her EEA3 and I have my EEA4. Both working and not depending on any public funds.
However there is a chance that we might seperate and if so would it affect me, and would I still be able to remain in UK and apply for my naturalisation?
Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

troubled

Post by troubled » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:07 pm

You can naturalised without her help provided you can show that you have lived here for 5 years.You can send the same document you used for PR for naturalisation.

kashijee
Newly Registered

Post by kashijee » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:59 am

Hi Cramer You dont need to worry about anything now you have a Permanent Rasident So its mean you can apply anytime after 1 year of ur PR. No need to send proof of 5 years just ur PR one year old.
Best of luck

Kramer
Newly Registered

Post by Kramer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:26 am

Thanks very much for that information. I was just worried that even though I have PR, I can lose that right if we get separated.
Furthermore, when I apply for naturalisation I would only be able to send my documents. Wonder if this will be an issue?

John

Post by John » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:49 am

Kramer, you have your PR! Stop worrying! The only way you can lose your PR is by being absent from the UK for a continuous period exceeding 2 years.

Your EEA4 .... how long have you had that? At least one year? If so no documentation from your partner is required, when you apply for Naturalisation.
John

677ano

Re: EEA4 to naturalisation despite a seperation.

Post by 677ano » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:59 am

Kramer wrote:Hello,
I am in a precarious position and would like to obtain some guidance. Me and my partner who is an EEA national have been with each other and lived in UK for ages, and now we both have permanent residences. She has her EEA3 and I have my EEA4. Both working and not depending on any public funds.
However there is a chance that we might seperate and if so would it affect me, and would I still be able to remain in UK and apply for my naturalisation?
Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
have no fears you are safe
we can all change our stars

Kramer
Newly Registered

Post by Kramer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:52 pm

Thanks ppl. That is great news. Now over to naturalisation which I assume is going to cost me an arm and a leg. :?

John

Post by John » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:21 am

Kramer, do appreciate that you need to pass the Life in the UK Citizenship test, prior to applying for Naturalisation. Have you already passed, or have you still got that "pleasure" to come?
John

Kramer
Newly Registered

Post by Kramer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:05 pm

I havent had the pleasure of doing it yet. I am hoping that it wouldnt be too difficult. Any pointers, tips, idea on costs, etc? I am also worried about the time it will take for the decision to come through. What is the average these days? and is it better to apply through a OISC representative, and if so what cost would I be looking at?
thanks

John

Post by John » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:20 am

Help with the test? There are a number of firms on the internet who are there to assist you. For example some sell a DVD containing tests, and others have tests online. But whatever, study from you is necessary! Have "fun"!

How long ago did you get confirmation of your PR status? Over one year, or at least over one year when you plan to apply for Naturalisation?

Need advice for a Naturalisation application? It is one of the easiest applications to make, and the great majority of people need no professional advice. All I would say is, when you make the application, submit it using an NCS office. Well worth paying their fee to check the application, before it goes off to UKBA in Liverpool. Not only that, they photocopy your passport and hand it straight back to you. That is you do not lose possession of your passport, apart from a couple of minutes.

But now, study for the test! Without the pass certificate you cannot apply for Naturalisation.
John

joelondon
Member of Standing

Post by joelondon » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:50 pm

check this out ...it may help u to study ...good luck with the test ;)

http://www.lifeintheunitedkingdomtest.co.uk/?page_id=25

http://www.freelifeintheuk.com/

Kramer
Newly Registered

Post by Kramer » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:53 pm

Thanks so very much.. You guys are great.. :D

joelondon
Member of Standing

Post by joelondon » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Kramer wrote:Thanks so very much.. You guys are great.. :D
good luck with the test ;)

vadimvin

Post by vadimvin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:51 pm

kashijee wrote:Hi Cramer You dont need to worry about anything now you have a Permanent Rasident So its mean you can apply anytime after 1 year of ur PR. No need to send proof of 5 years just ur PR one year old.
Best of luck
Hi,
Please confirm why there is no need to send 5 years docs?
Are u sure just PR is going to be enough?

Thanks.

John

Post by John » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:43 am

vadimvin, the point is this. Having got confirmation of PR status, after filing a form EEA3 or EEA4, as appropriate, if you have had that confirmation for at least one year then you clearly pass that test as regards applying for Naturalisation.

But as the confirmation of PR status is exactly that, confirmation of status acquired automatically, it will usually be the case that PR status is acquired before you get confirmation. So if that confirmation happened less than one year ago then you need to send in documents to show when you got your PR status automatically.
John

troubled

Post by troubled » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:08 am

John wrote:vadimvin, the point is this. Having got confirmation of PR status, after filing a form EEA3 or EEA4, as appropriate, if you have had that confirmation for at least one year then you clearly pass that test as regards applying for Naturalisation.

But as the confirmation of PR status is exactly that, confirmation of status acquired automatically, it will usually be the case that PR status is acquired before you get confirmation. So if that confirmation happened less than one year ago then you need to send in documents to show when you got your PR status automatically.
John if I understand your point well,then one can apply for citizenship if you have your PR for one year.The problem is that sometimes HO delay the application for more than a year before PR is issued.Do you have to count that year taken by HO as part of your qualifying years?

Let me use my case as an example:
(1)Got married to my eea partner on 24th Nov,2003, RC granted on Feb,2004
(2) Going by the eea regulations I acquired PR automatically on 24th Nov,2008. I applied for PR on Dec,2008 but it took HO 15 months to refused that application ,though I won the appeal last week and still waiting for my PR to be issued.
(3) If I take the 15 months HO office took to consider my application into consideration, then my six years of qualifying period for citizenship falls on 24th Nov,2009. The PR will be issued in 2010 possibly,this means that I can apply for citizenship straight away without waiting for one year from the date PR was issued.Please clarify those points if I am right.I have already passed my Life in UK test.