ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can both Husband and Wife apply for Tier-1 independently?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nks

Can both Husband and Wife apply for Tier-1 independently?

Post by nks » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:24 pm

Hi all!

Does anyone know if it is possible for a husband and a wife to each apply for separate tier 1 , general migrant visas? My wife and I can both qualify on our own. We are planning that both should apply separately and if one partner is finding it difficult to get a job then he/she will cancel their own vias or, at the end of the two years, switch to a depenadant of the other spouse.

It would be best if someone can share first hand experience about this but opinions/views are equally welcome.

Thanks,
NKS

ChetanOjha

Re: Can both Husband and Wife apply for Tier-1 independently

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:46 pm

Why not? You have to pay twice the application fees.
nks wrote:Hi all!

Does anyone know if it is possible for a husband and a wife to each apply for separate tier 1 , general migrant visas? My wife and I can both qualify on our own. We are planning that both should apply separately and if one partner is finding it difficult to get a job then he/she will cancel their own vias or, at the end of the two years, switch to a depenadant of the other spouse.

It would be best if someone can share first hand experience about this but opinions/views are equally welcome.

Thanks,
NKS

rohitktm

Post by rohitktm » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:01 pm

You can apply independently if you both have enough points individually. I know a friend who did so.

smilewithhari
Newly Registered

Post by smilewithhari » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:05 pm

chetanojha wrote:Why not? You have to pay twice the application fees.
Even though he apply together as dependent, he should pay fee twice. Better apply for tire 1 for both. for extension for tire 1 u have better chances as both are working. hope atleast one can get eligible

Rgds,
Harish

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:19 am

smilewithhari wrote:
chetanojha wrote:Why not? You have to pay twice the application fees.
Even though he apply together as dependent, he should pay fee twice. Better apply for tire 1 for both. for extension for tire 1 u have better chances as both are working. hope atleast one can get eligible

Rgds,
Harish
Kindly tell us the fee for applying two T1 and Fee for applying one T1+dependant on the same application.
Last edited by [iD] on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goodluck.

sapvish

Post by sapvish » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:12 am

Also make sure you have independantly maintained sufficient fund balance :) I am sure you wud hv thought abt it.... good luck... btw are u both applying after july 19th?

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:37 am

When applying for Tier 1 general outside UK, then both the main applicant and the dependant should pay the fee of around £690 each which is the same when applying individually for Tier 1 (G).

When applying within UK, if you apply for Tier 1 Dependant along with main applicant, the fee will only be £969 (£840 Main applicant + £129 Dependant) whereas if you apply independently the the fee would be £840x2 = £1680. The above fee is for postal application and if you want same day service then the fee is more.

nks

Post by nks » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:29 pm

Thakyou all for your views. I see all sense in applying for Tier 1 for both except one little dilemma : what if with new rules, immigration cap becomes applicable on dependents as well but only for initial applications. In such scenario, if one of us intend to move to dependent visa from Tier-1(which technically will be initial application as dependent), we will be considered under that cap. Problem??