ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British with South African Wife - Schengen VISA Help!

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Mercyknight

British with South African Wife - Schengen VISA Help!

Post by Mercyknight » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:20 pm

My wife and I want to travel to France this summer for a short break. I am a British National from birth and have married a South African who has ELR. I am wanting to go to France but can not work out whether or not I need a Schengen VISA or not as she is married to an EU Citizen...

I've been told 3 things and I need someone to clarify:

1. I've been told that we can just go and she needs marriage certificate and resident permit and passport.

2. That we have to apply for Schengen VISA and it's free because I'm British (Even though I can't seem to book an appointment through the French embassy website)

3. That she has to pay for a full Schengen VISA...

Can someone clarify and send me in the right direction...

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:27 pm

1. Technically true, but the airlines will not let her on the plane for fear of carrying someone without the correct visa - they get fined so don't risk it.

2. Best option.

3. No.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Mercyknight

Post by Mercyknight » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:34 pm

I'm thinking of just going with the first option. We will travel via ferry and I noticed on the schengen visa there is a admin box that says where the application was made, and one of those boxes says "Border" I'm assuming worse case scenario they will make us fill the paper work in at the border...

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:01 pm

Mercyknight wrote:I'm thinking of just going with the first option. We will travel via ferry and I noticed on the schengen visa there is a admin box that says where the application was made, and one of those boxes says "Border" I'm assuming worse case scenario they will make us fill the paper work in at the border...
Worst case scenario is you get turned back! Should be ok tho, tho I never heard of a Schengen issued at the border...

For me I couldn't stand the worry and risk, I would want a pleasant holiday not Fear and Loathing in Calais arguing with some Frenchie with chip on his shoulder....

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:08 pm

Mercyknight wrote:I'm thinking of just going with the first option. We will travel via ferry and I noticed on the schengen visa there is a admin box that says where the application was made, and one of those boxes says "Border" I'm assuming worse case scenario they will make us fill the paper work in at the border...
You are taking a risk with going with option 1.

Try looking at Directive 2004/58/EC and Council Regulation (EC) No 539/2001. My understanding is that a South African Citizen who is a family member of a EU citizen will require a visa to enter the schengen area unless they hold a valid EU residence card which unfortunately UK FLR (I presume that is what she has) is not counted as being.

You may be lucky and they will issue you with the visa at the border as South African citizens can have it granted the same day. Though if you are going from Dover (other places might be similar) allow plenty of time as you will have to get through French Immigration before you can even board the ferry.

Mercyknight

Post by Mercyknight » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:38 pm

Ok, with option 2 then, how on earth do I apply! I can't make sense of the French consulate website?! They're a pain in the backside... Can anyone link the actual location of where I can get an application from?!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:01 pm

Mercyknight wrote:Ok, with option 2 then, how on earth do I apply! I can't make sense of the French consulate website?! They're a pain in the backside... Can anyone link the actual location of where I can get an application from?!
Do you live outside London?

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:31 pm

The french embassy (in London) has always been a pain to book appointments with. If you don't qualify for a postal application then either keep trying the website as apppointments do get added when people cancel/re-schedule (use to be Thursday afternoon they updated it) or phone them on their premium rate number.

This is the link for the french embassy.

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/How-to-app ... -Visa.html

Other option is to apply at another embassy - if you pick one of a country near to france (dutch maybe?) you can always say that is your destination. This is because they like you to apply at the country that is your main destination, or the country you enter first if you are visiting multiple countries for equal amount of time.

Mercyknight

Post by Mercyknight » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:11 am

Wanderer wrote:
Mercyknight wrote:Ok, with option 2 then, how on earth do I apply! I can't make sense of the French consulate website?! They're a pain in the backside... Can anyone link the actual location of where I can get an application from?!
Do you live outside London?
Yes, we live in South Yorkshire.

Mercyknight

Post by Mercyknight » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:43 pm

Can I send a postal application and if so where do I get the application to send it to them?

The info isn't clear at the top of the page...

Do I have to meet both criteria?

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Postal-application.html

This service is open to:

Visa nationals who have been granted a year-long visa in the last 5 years by the French Consulate, London, regardless of their county of residence, as long as they may pretend again to a year-long visa - Do not send you application if your circumstances have changed/ your British residency or passport are expiring in the next 15 months as there must 3 months between the expiry date of the Schengen visa and passport/ UK residency;
And people living in one of the county listed below.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:25 pm

You only have to meet one of the criteria. Which you do so you can apply by post.

The form is on this page (short stay application form)

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Applicatio ... ental.html

Mercyknight

Post by Mercyknight » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:57 am

djb123 wrote:You only have to meet one of the criteria. Which you do so you can apply by post.

The form is on this page (short stay application form)

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Applicatio ... ental.html
That's great, and I have two final questions.

Do I just send the form back it doesn't request any ID?

And will we be able to make this application free of charge?

stmellon

Post by stmellon » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:54 pm

You really need to start reading the information that is available to you:

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Postal-application.html
Documents requested + photocopies:

The French Consulate insists on the photocopies of the documents to be included with the application.

1. You need to send the originals of all the documents requested, including your passport, according to your status and the visa you require. Photocopies only will not be accepted. Please do not staple the documents together.
You must send your original documents and the photocopies in 2 separate transparent folders.

2. The payment of the visa application fee, either by:
credit card by filling the authorisation of payment per bank card form. If the cardholder is not the visa applicant, please supply copy of passport and proof of address of the cardholder;
Or by Postal Orders.

3. A self-addressed pre-paid special delivery envelope for the safe return of your documents.

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Visa-application-fee.html

Visa application fee
As of the 1st of January 2007, the visa administrative fees will be 60€ (transit, airport transit, short stay, DOM-TOM or countries represented by the French Consulate), which must be paid in pound Sterling only. The fee is accorded to the exchange rate of the British Pound against the Euro, so varies between £45 and £60.

Exact amount.

Some concessions will apply:

The visa will be free of charge, on presentation of the appropriate evidence to*:
children under the age of 6 applying for a short stay Schengen visa;
French teachers;
researchers travelling to France in order to conduct scientific researches;
teachers and children travelling on a school trip;
spouses of French Nationals;
spouses of European Union citizens;
dependant children, under the age of 21, of European Union citizens, all but French nationals;
dependant parents of European Union citizens, all but French nationals;
holders of diplomatic passports.

Mercyknight

Post by Mercyknight » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:02 am

Taken from the website here:

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Family-mem ... opean.html

Am I right in thinking not only does my wife need to send her passport she also has to send a photocopy of it too?

>>> As the Spouse of an European Union Citizen:

1. A national passport or official travel document valid for more than 3 months beyond the validity of the requested visa, with at least 2 blank visa pages.

A copy of your passport (data pages) and of your resident permit are required and must be joigned to the file. Failing to do so will present a high risk of refusal.

2. One application form duly completed and signed by the applicant (or the legal guardian for applicants under the age of 18).
3. 2 photographs. Please read photo guidance document
4. Nationals who must expect a delay for the processing of their applications delay?
Either a self-addressed pre-paid special delivery envelope for the return of your passport - highly recommended as it is quicker,
or a 1st class stamped self-addressed envelope to be informed of your second appointment.
5. Your spouse’s European Union passport.
6. Your original civil Marriage Certificate with official translation if not in French or English. This official translation must be certified as a true copy by the Embassy/ Consulate of the country where your marriage was celebrated.
7. If your Marriage Certificate has been issued outside the European Union, it must be stamped by the Foreign Office of the issuing country, or its Embassy in the UK.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:08 am

Unless you are reading the bolded info backwards, that's exactly what it says!