ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Going to the doctors

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

VT

Going to the doctors

Post by VT » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:16 pm

To cut a long story short.. My partner is an overstayer. He has a terrible ear infection but i don't know if he can go to the doctors..? He had a doctor when he was living in London. Could somebody shed some light?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:27 pm

I'm sure at least A&E would treat him, UK hasn't reached the turning people away stage yet, but it might well trigger off a chain of events leading to removal if he can't prove he's entitled to free treatment.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

VT

Post by VT » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:30 pm

I don't know what to do, because he said he had a doctor in London who he saw regularly.. Without any questions, but when he signs up to a doctors where we live now, they'll ask for more details won't they?

He has an application pending at the HO, would that make any difference to whether they'll try to remove him or not?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:32 pm

VT wrote:I don't know what to do, because he said he had a doctor in London who he saw regularly.. Without any questions, but when he signs up to a doctors where we live now, they'll ask for more details won't they?

He has an application pending at the HO, would that make any difference to whether they'll try to remove him or not?
Try A&E, though they might ask some awkward questions, they are unlikely to refuse anyone in a bad way any treatment.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

VT

Post by VT » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:40 pm

Thank you for the advice.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:36 pm

My experience of the A&E department in a few NHS hospitals is that your immigration status or eligibility for NHS treatment is not questioned at all. I wouldn't worry about it, doctors and nurses are not (yet) being used to target illegal immigrants, and it would be sorry day indeed if they do.

Don't let your fear of being caught stop him from getting proper treatment, a serious ear infection can lead to permanent deafness if not treated properly!
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.