ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendring Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vikasvaish
Newly Registered

Re: My Indian Passprot Surrender Application

Post by vikasvaish » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:29 pm

I have submitted mine on 14th June and tracked via Royal Mail Web site on 15th June. I did enclosed the Special Delivery letter.
And I manage to speak to Passport Department twice and according to them they had the Postal Worker with in the organization On Strike and due to that there is big backlog so they r slowly processing the application and according to them I should get my Surrender Certificate within 10 days.
Hopefully then I can apply for OCI, and this time it should not take that long, because I am planning to goto India in November, other wise I have to apply for Visa too.

Btw, does any body know how long does it take to process the visa application. I am thinking if I don't get the OCI in time I might have to submit the visa application so that I get the visa in time.

nchowdhury wrote:Hi,

What documents you submitted?
Did you enclosed self addressed (special delivery if possible) with the application?
If not then probably your SC letter might be lying under pile of documents, you got to go and collect as I understand.
They don't even bother what the circumanstances are.

I have submitted my SC apps on 6th July and tracked in royal mail site and showed delivered on 7th July.
I want to go to India on 29th July therefore after receiving the SC letter I have to apply for visa too - finger crossed.

Generally I heard that London HC takes min 2 weeks to send you the letter.

Thanks and regards
N. Chowdhury

vikasvaish wrote:I have submit My Indian Passport surrender application to HCI, London by post 5 weeks back and since then I have not heard any thing. I send the E-Mail and Fax to the Passport Section but no replies. I tried to contact them but no body seems to be answering the phone.
What do I Do now.

Shall I wait further or goto HCI, London. Its delaying me to make OCI appliation. And we are planning to travel to India in November.

Please suggest.

nchowdhury

Post by nchowdhury » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:05 pm

Visa Application time - Apply directly in the office - 3 days.
Postal application 10 to 15 days.

As per your conversation in no way I will get the SC soon and want to go to India on 29th this month. Any idea how can I obtain visa without SC.

Thanks and regards
NAC
vikasvaish wrote:I have submitted mine on 14th June and tracked via Royal Mail Web site on 15th June. I did enclosed the Special Delivery letter.
And I manage to speak to Passport Department twice and according to them they had the Postal Worker with in the organization On Strike and due to that there is big backlog so they r slowly processing the application and according to them I should get my Surrender Certificate within 10 days.
Hopefully then I can apply for OCI, and this time it should not take that long, because I am planning to goto India in November, other wise I have to apply for Visa too.

Btw, does any body know how long does it take to process the visa application. I am thinking if I don't get the OCI in time I might have to submit the visa application so that I get the visa in time.

Did you enclosed self addressed (special delivery if possible) with the application?
If not then probably your SC letter might be lying under pile of documents, you got to go and collect as I understand.

I have submitted my SC apps on 6th July and tracked in royal mail site and showed delivered on 7th July.
I want to go to India on 29th July therefore after receiving the SC letter I have to apply for visa too - finger crossed.

Thanks and regards
N. Chowdhury

vikasvaish wrote:I have submit My Indian Passport surrender application to HCI, London by post 5 weeks back and since then I have not heard any thing. I send the E-Mail and Fax to the Passport Section but no replies. I tried to contact them but no body seems to be answering the phone.
What do I Do now.

Shall I wait further or goto HCI, London. Its delaying me to make OCI appliation. And we are planning to travel to India in November.

Please suggest.

AkashS
Member of Standing

Post by AkashS » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:13 pm

[quote="Shadow Love"][quote="AkashS"]Many people shouts about that £90 (or equv to Rs. 7000/-) fees in order to surrender their Indian Passport should they get British or any other country citizenship. They shout that Indian Govt don’t care about their people. How the hell on earth you are “Our Peopleâ€

AkashS
Member of Standing

Post by AkashS » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:16 pm

[quote="Shadow Love"][quote="AkashS"]Many people shouts about that £90 (or equv to Rs. 7000/-) fees in order to surrender their Indian Passport should they get British or any other country citizenship. They shout that Indian Govt don’t care about their people. How the hell on earth you are “Our Peopleâ€

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:32 pm

AkashS wrote:I have never seen any country who charge their citizen for entertainment also
Don't you pay entertainment tax in the country on the tickets you buy to watch a rubbish? Or tax on the cable TV? That paying for entertainment .. just like paying for entertainment here!

It is quite evident from your recent posts that your experience in UK has been everything but good. And your frustration is evident from the content of your posts.

regards

vikasvaish
Newly Registered

Post by vikasvaish » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:49 pm

You pay TV licence fee because you get to watch unbiased advert free Media i.e. BBC

sushdmehta wrote:
AkashS wrote:I have never seen any country who charge their citizen for entertainment also
Don't you pay entertainment tax in the country on the tickets you buy to watch a rubbish? Or tax on the cable TV? That paying for entertainment .. just like paying for entertainment here!

It is quite evident from your recent posts that your experience in UK has been everything but good. And your frustration is evident from the content of your posts.

regards

vikasvaish
Newly Registered

Post by vikasvaish » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:55 am

You could have submitted the application in person, which seems to be faster way as i heard infact I am regretting that I sent my passport by post and now it got stuck.

You could goto HCI and asked them that your case is urgent they might open your application and process same day.

worth a try!

nchowdhury wrote:Visa Application time - Apply directly in the office - 3 days.

As per your conversation in no way I will get the SC soon and want to go to India on 29th this month. Any idea how can I obtain visa without SC.

Thanks and regards
NAC
vikasvaish wrote:I have submitted mine on 14th June and tracked via Royal Mail Web site on 15th June. I did enclosed the Special Delivery letter.

Thanks and regards
N. Chowdhury

What do I Do now.

Please suggest.

AkashS
Member of Standing

Post by AkashS » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:00 pm

vikasvaish wrote:You pay TV licence fee because you get to watch unbiased advert free Media i.e. BBC

sushdmehta wrote:

regards
Unbiased? UK Govt have Full Control over Media in UK. Did you ever see them showing something which can create a -ve image of UK? A robbery, a murder or a theft or something like that never shown on BBC, while Indian Media has got so much liberty that they are actually spoiling name of India on the name of "We Show Truth"...

AkashS
Member of Standing

Post by AkashS » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:07 pm

sushdmehta wrote:

regards
I am facing problem which I have never thought. For a mere Blood test, I use to wait for 1 month, for NHS Registration, we need to wait for 3+ months and the standard of life I am getting here, cannot be compare with the one I was having in India. I have never thought that I will give this kind of street dog's life to my wife and child... You have to do 1000s of compromise in your day to day life..

That is another thing, but the most annoying this is that people who are here for years or so called NRIs are spoiling name of India. They themselves have never seen good standard of life and to justify their decision or condition, they don't miss any chance to say that we hate India, India is bad.. blah blah... I have taken responsibility to clean this dirt when I go back to India.. According to them, India does not respect them... but the truth is that they don't deserve respect as they don't respect their Birth Country... Showing wrong image of India among British and White people.. now why they will respect new person who comes to UK as old guys have spoiled their images so badly that they consider them as mad dog only.. Ridiculous...

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:20 pm

The decision to come to the UK was yours and yours alone. At that point in time, you perceived the lifestyle to be better in the UK (as compared to India) and that is why you made the call. In UK, things have been going on as before ... not that everything has changed since you arrived and that too for the sole purpose of putting you at a disadvantage. You should have checked how the UK system works before making a decision to come to UK. Don't blame the system (which hasn't suddenly changed to put you at a disadvantage) for lack of efforts from your end to find out more about the life in UK before arriving here.

For someone who chose UK as an adequately appropriate destination to educate himself and also was, at a given point in time, keen to emigrate to any EU country in spite of enjoying the supposedly lavish lifestyle in India, it seems inappropriate and rather selfish when he starts badmouthing for no reason other than, perhaps, unrealistic expectations not coming true. Not to mention the fact that you were, in the past, very keen to come to UK - having applied for HSMP (but let it lapse) and then Tier 1. Unfortunately, people with unrealistic expectations are the ones who are the hardest hit.

This said, no one is stopping you from returning to India to enjoy the lifestyle you like. Like before, the decision is yours to make. One must live where he enjoys to live .... else there is no relevance of it!

If there's any contribution that you can make to the stated topic (surrendering Indian passport) or have a decent argument on the pros/cons of the passport surrender procedure, please feel free to post here but please do not use this forum as a convenient place to vent out your frustrations or accuse / insult individuals.

regards

vikasvaish
Newly Registered

Post by vikasvaish » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:56 am

I hope u live on the same planet as we live. Cos I can see all those incident clearly shown on the BBC. Have you forgotten about the Cumbria Shooting Rampage , which was been shown on the BBC.
And what have you seen recently on BBC, which was controversial about India from your point of view. cos I haven't seen any.
Btw refelecting the truth in the media is not a bad thing because thats the only way one can sort out the problems in any society.

Any way point here is that this forum or Thread rather for discussing about the Surrender of passport or Immigration related issues.

AkashS wrote:
vikasvaish wrote:You pay TV licence fee because you get to watch unbiased advert free Media i.e. BBC

sushdmehta wrote:

regards
Unbiased? UK Govt have Full Control over Media in UK. Did you ever see them showing something which can create a -ve image of UK? A robbery, a murder or a theft or something like that never shown on BBC, while Indian Media has got so much liberty that they are actually spoiling name of India on the name of "We Show Truth"...

vikasvaish
Newly Registered

Post by vikasvaish » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:10 am

UPDATE on my Surrender Application. I manage to speak to Passport Surender Department and according to them they have got huge backlog at the moment they are processing the applications they received till 1st of June.

Thanks and regards
NAC

Thanks and regards
N. Chowdhury

What do I Do now.

Please suggest.

VA526
Newly Registered

Please help me out!!

Post by VA526 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:47 pm

Hello everybody,

I have got my British passport by Naturalisation on the 30th of Dec 2009. I am getting married next month in India and so I will be flying to India on the 24th August 2010. I was thinking of applying for a Tourist Visa for now, but after going through the forum I think I will have to first surrender my Indian passport.

I think that I have understood the whole procedure but could someone just help me out once again step-by-step please? Also I don't live in london so travelling will be an issue for me. Please somebody guide me preferably for postal application, and also today is the 23rd of July, does nybody think I should be able to fly with everything sorted out, on the 24th Aug?

PLEASE HELP ME OUT....I AM ALREADY PANICKING ABOUT GETTING MARRIED AND NOW THIS WHOLE THING OF SC AND VISA.... :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :roll:

HSMP2008_JANUARY

Re: Please help me out!!

Post by HSMP2008_JANUARY » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:04 pm

VA526 wrote:Hello everybody,

I have got my British passport by Naturalisation on the 30th of Dec 2009. I am getting married next month in India and so I will be flying to India on the 24th August 2010. I was thinking of applying for a Tourist Visa for now, but after going through the forum I think I will have to first surrender my Indian passport.

I think that I have understood the whole procedure but could someone just help me out once again step-by-step please? Also I don't live in london so travelling will be an issue for me. Please somebody guide me preferably for postal application, and also today is the 23rd of July, does nybody think I should be able to fly with everything sorted out, on the 24th Aug?

PLEASE HELP ME OUT....I AM ALREADY PANICKING ABOUT GETTING MARRIED AND NOW THIS WHOLE THING OF SC AND VISA.... :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :roll:
The procedure is you need to surrender your passport and get the surrender certificate (SC). This SC is used for either applying visa or for applying OCI. If you are planning to fly very shortly then dont send it by post. You go to HCI London personally and submit. You can get SC in a weeks time if you go to collect personally or by self addressed post it will reach you in 5 weeks.

What I would advice you is
1. Book an appointment for obtaining Indian visa from VFS ( near London Victoria) at around afternoon say 1:00 on the same day you are planning to visit HCI.
2. Go to HCI and stand in the queue before 7:30am so that you can get first 50 token.
3. If you are planning to apply for OCI/PIO take the token for that service too.
4. If not doing the step 3 then then take the counter slip after submitting passport and go to VFS. To apply for visa you need SC ( They will accept counter slip after passport submission too) and submit this along with application. ( Take a photo copy if counter slip just in case).
5. You can collect SC either personally or through post.

Hope this helps you.

VA526
Newly Registered

Post by VA526 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:35 pm

HSMP2008_JANUARY wrote:
VA526 wrote:Hello everybody,

The procedure is you need to surrender your passport and get the surrender certificate (SC). This SC is used for either applying visa or for applying OCI. If you are planning to fly very shortly then dont send it by post. You go to HCI London personally and submit. You can get SC in a weeks time if you go to collect personally or by self addressed post it will reach you in 5 weeks.

What I would advice you is
1. Book an appointment for obtaining Indian visa from VFS ( near London Victoria) at around afternoon say 1:00 on the same day you are planning to visit HCI.
2. Go to HCI and stand in the queue before 7:30am so that you can get first 50 token.
3. If you are planning to apply for OCI/PIO take the token for that service too.
4. If not doing the step 3 then then take the counter slip after submitting passport and go to VFS. To apply for visa you need SC ( They will accept counter slip after passport submission too) and submit this along with application. ( Take a photo copy if counter slip just in case).
5. You can collect SC either personally or through post.

Hope this helps you.
Is it alright to send the form through post and then collect the SC at the HCI?? Because this way it saves me tons of trips to london, and I was thinking to apply for a Tourist visa when I go to collect the SC... please help me out somebody....Thank you ever so much!!

vikasvaish
Newly Registered

Post by vikasvaish » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:02 am

I would advice that you goto HCI London personally and submit your passport and get the SC. and apply for OCI/PIO/Visa. Rather than trusting HCI London to process your Surrender Application quick enough.
I have sent my application in early June and have not received the certificate yet.

You have been warned for poor postal service of HCI, London. Again choice is yours.
VA526 wrote: Is it alright to send the form through post and then collect the SC at the HCI?? Because this way it saves me tons of trips to london, and I was thinking to apply for a Tourist visa when I go to collect the SC... please help me out somebody....Thank you ever so much!!

VA526
Newly Registered

Post by VA526 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:39 pm

vikasvaish wrote:I would advice that you goto HCI London personally and submit your passport and get the SC. and apply for OCI/PIO/Visa. Rather than trusting HCI London to process your Surrender Application quick enough.
I have sent my application in early June and have not received the certificate yet.

You have been warned for poor postal service of HCI, London. Again choice is yours.
VA526 wrote: Is it alright to send the form through post and then collect the SC at the HCI?? Because this way it saves me tons of trips to london, and I was thinking to apply for a Tourist visa when I go to collect the SC... please help me out somebody....Thank you ever so much!!

Thank you for the advice. I spoke to a lady at the HCI today, she was actually nice and polite to me. I told her my situation and that I need to fly on the 24th of Aug. She said that I can submit the documents in person and ask them to post me the SC and this will take 5-7 working days. So I think I will be doing that....does anybody have more suggestions please?? Thank you.

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:45 pm

Indian system SUCKS. Best is to do it in person. I did that and that's the most safest option.

VA526
Newly Registered

Post by VA526 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:32 pm

gainvidya wrote:Indian system SUCKS. Best is to do it in person. I did that and that's the most safest option.
I know they are not so organised but will it still not work if I take it in person and then provide them with a SDE to post it back to me?? Also I don't live in London and it's a waste of time and money because as soon as I get my SC, I need to apply for a Tourist visa as well. I am flying on the 24th next month.... :(

AkashS
Member of Standing

Post by AkashS » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:49 pm

vikasvaish wrote:I hope u live on the same planet as we live. Cos I can see all those incident clearly shown on the BBC. Have you forgotten about the Cumbria Shooting Rampage , which was been shown on the BBC.
And what have you seen recently on BBC, which was controversial about India from your point of view. cos I haven't seen any.
Btw refelecting the truth in the media is not a bad thing because thats the only way one can sort out the problems in any society.

Any way point here is that this forum or Thread rather for discussing about the Surrender of passport or Immigration related issues.

AkashS wrote:

sushdmehta wrote:Don't you pay entertainment tax in the country on the tickets you buy to watch a rubbish? Or tax on the cable TV? That paying for entertainment .. just like paying for entertainment here!

regards
http://londoniscool.com/london-tap-water-is-poisonous

This country even does not provide you drinkable water.. had I (and may be 1000s of other people) know this in advance, I would have thought 100 times before coming here....

if you go through few forums about living standard in UK, you will change your opinion in a min...

nchowdhury

Post by nchowdhury » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:13 am

Update:
I applied for visa to see my mother in India dated 26th July in person with all relevant documents but without SC at Birmingham (earleir I mentioned that I sent my passport for SC to London HCI.).
During submission they told me to write that you have submitted your passport and waiting for SC which I did.

On Wednesday Consulate office rang me and said that we do not issue visa without SC so I explained that my mother is seriously ill and medical report is attached with my application. They said they will process the application.

In the meantime I somehow manage to speak to HCI London for SC and they send me the SC immediately. Then on Thursday I faxed the SC to Birmingham Consulate Office.

Since then I am still waiting for the Visa. When ever I call no one picks the phone, no answer and when I ring vfs office they say is under process and they cant do anything.

In the website it says emergency visa can be sumbitted till 19:00 hours so I went yesterday reached there 5:30 pm but the office was closed.

I dont know what to do and where to go or who to contact. My mother is really ill and want to go as soon as possible.

On Monday again I will go and try.

Any idea or help anybody can do for me please!!!!!
vikasvaish wrote:You could have submitted the application in person, which seems to be faster way as i heard infact I am regretting that I sent my passport by post and now it got stuck.

You could goto HCI and asked them that your case is urgent they might open your application and process same day.

worth a try!

Thanks and regards
NAC

Thanks and regards
N. Chowdhury

skeptical
Newly Registered

Post by skeptical » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:21 pm

I have a situation very similar to Shadow Love. Can someone please guide me?
I acquired British Citizenship in September 2009, and received my British Passport in November 2009. I had to travel to France on my Indian Passport in Sept 2009 AFTER receiving my citizenship. I wasn't aware that my Indian Passport was then void, as I did not have any other travel document, and the plan was made well before the citizenship ceremony. My questions are:-

1. Will I be penalised for travelling on my Indian passport after acquiring British citizenship?

2. If I have lost my Indian passport, can I still apply for a OCI? Do I have to pay the penalty? Do I have to pay extra to get any documents saying my passport is lost/stolen? Is there any way the HCI will know I have travelled to France on my Indian passport??

3. If I just don't surrender my Indian passport, and if I apply for an Indian visa on my British Passport, is there any way the HCI can know that I haven't surrendered my Indian passport? Since I now hold a British passport, I could just be any foreign national applying for a visa to India, right?

It would be much appreciated if someone could help me out with all these questions. I had planned to apply for a OCI and had all the documents and money ready, when I came across the "surrender certificate" on the HCI website, and one thing led to another.

Please help!!

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:34 pm

Surrender of Indian passports to be processed by VFS Global.
Renunciation/Surrender of Indian Passports
VF Services UK

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

baz86

Post by baz86 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:11 am

Hi All,

I just wondered if anyone would be kind enough to enlighten me on the current situation at the HCI London and if they have been able to contact anyone at the offices?

I had sent the passport and forms off for the cancellation of the indian passport on 7th June and yet still have not recieved the cancellation certificate. I have tried repeatedly to call them but seems like no one ever picks up!

If anyone has been able to get any news on any delays or from people who have just recently recieved their certificate (when did they send their passports off?)

Thanks in advance!

baz

viralpinky
Newly Registered

Post by viralpinky » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:55 am

same with me. i applied on 22nd July & no reply yet:(. They were fast last year when i submitted my daughters passport, I got surrender certificate back in 5 working days but this time its almost 2 months & no update.