ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Retention of Right success stories go here

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jackEM

Post by jackEM » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:51 pm

[quote]
“Family member who has retained the right of residenceâ€

noodles

Post by noodles » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:25 am

I believe you're still a family member of the EEA national until Decree Absolute, so if your 3 years falls betweendivorce initiation and decree absolute, you're covered.

jackEM

Post by jackEM » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:00 am

Thats good....

But i wonder why they put it like this?

And whether they check that or no?

Does the Deree Absolute state the date of when the preceeding was started or it only says when it is finalised?

bobobo

Post by bobobo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:33 am

Unfortunately I do not agree with this, as the rules clearly state that the 3 years should have passed prior to divorce initiation. This clearly means that an Application for divorce (Initiation) should be made after 3 years of marriage. Agree that the family memeber is safe until the Decree Absolute is granted and their rights remain similar of that of a family member of an eea national.
noodles wrote:I believe you're still a family member of the EEA national until Decree Absolute, so if your 3 years falls betweendivorce initiation and decree absolute, you're covered.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:42 am

I believe noodles is correct. The directive states that one can retain their right of residence, if prior to the initiation of their divorce, their marriage has lasted for a period of 3 years.

In Diata, the court states that one is a family member until the competent authority officially terminate the matrimonial relationship.

The UK national legislation (EEA regulation 2006) goes for the Diatta as opposed to the directive interpretation.

It goes without saying that they cannot pick and choose rules, as and when it suits them.

Therefore under regulation 10, one can retain their right of residence if the decree absolute was passed shortly after they clock 3 years of marriage.

Remember that the marriage is not officially terminated until the decree absolute has been passed.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

jackEM

Post by jackEM » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:53 am

Thankx Obie...

jackEM

Post by jackEM » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:20 pm

I wonder if anyone have recently retained their rights or if anyone is going to.
:)

nanaaddo80

Retain Rights

Post by nanaaddo80 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:10 am

Hi.
I just received all my documents back this morning with a permanent residence issued on 28 july 2010.
I want tosay thanks to all members for support especially Obie.I really am grateful.

ngueda2009

Re: Retain Rights

Post by ngueda2009 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:55 pm

hi ,
please can you let me know what answer you gave to the ho when they asked you if you are applying for the retention of rights of pr.
i am very please for you

nanaaddo80

Retain Rights

Post by nanaaddo80 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:17 pm

Hi,
I replied by saying retention rights of rights(Residence Card).
Thanks

jackEM

Post by jackEM » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:19 am

Hello guys, another thought

How does it work practically form travelling point of view,
when a person informs the HO about change in his/her circumstances. i.e one is divorced and has informed the HO about the retention of rights.

I mean like sleeper applied for retention of rights using EEA2 and was issued with another RC and a letter confirming retention of rights, so that seem quite fair.

Whereas one is only required to inform HO about changes in the circumstance,(not practically apply) according to the info stated on the letter that comes with RC first time.

So what if while travelling, one who has only informed HO and not applied for, is asked to explain how s/he has RC and not a family member of EEA anymore? Does one should carry copy of EEA regulation 2006?