ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US visa rejection

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

rogerroger
Member of Standing

US visa rejection

Post by rogerroger » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:58 am

Hello

My student visa was rejected many years ago. I am about to apply for UK naturalisation. As a UK citizen i wont need to apply for US visas but will be granted the US visa at the port of entry , correct?

will the US authorities need to know that i was denied a US visa on my Indian passport.

Also the same the case for Canada. again i was denied a Canadian visit visa, will they need to now that i was denied a visa and will it affect my prospects of visiting the US or Canada? at a later stage if am to apply for a student visa to either of the two countries, will it affect my chances?

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:48 pm

Roger,

I got this from the Dept of Immigration - on page
http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/temp/w ... 990.html#3

It states below the conditions you have to be able to travel under the Visa Waiver Programme to the US - one of them is that you have not been denied a visa to the US before.

I quote

"Nationals of VWP countries must meet the conditions noted in Which travelers may use the Visa Waiver Program to enter the United States? in order to seek admission to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program. Travelers who do not meet these conditions must apply for a visa. In particular, a visa must be requested if the traveler:

Wants to remain in the U.S. for longer than 90 days, or envisions that they may wish to change their status (from tourism to student, etc.) once in the United States;

Wants to work or study in the United States, wants to come to the U.S. for other purposes not allowed on a visitor visa, or intends to immigrate to the U.S.;

Does not have a machine-readable passport (MRP) as of June 26, 2005.
Intends to travel by private aircraft or other non-signatory air or sea carriers to the U.S.;

Has been refused a visa or admission to the U.S. before, or did not comply with the conditions of previous VWP admissions (90 days or less stay for tourism or business, etc.); or

Has a criminal record or other condition making them ineligible for a visa (see Classes of Aliens Ineligible for Visas). "

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:22 am

thanks for the reply rogerio

i know a friend of mine who was denied a us student visa went to the US without applying for a visa

at the US airport he was asked what the purpose of his visit ws, and he said to meet his girlfriend

when he was asked if he might marry his girlfriend he told them to mind their own business and he was let through.

i was wondering hwo did he manage to go to the US despite having been denied a visa earlier on. is the Visa waiver a new program?

also will the US authorities know that on my past nationality i had been debied a US visa?

and everytime i travel to the US will i need to take out a visa?

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:23 am

Roger,

1 - the visa waiver programme is an old one - certain nationalities, including British citizens with the right of abode here, do not need to get visas for B1/B2 type travel to the US.

2 - I am not sure that they will know you have been denied a visa in the past. Have you ever been fingerprinted? If so, there is a high chance they will. Personally I would not risk it. I would go ahead and get the visa from the US embassy. IMHO being British would count in your favour towards getting a visa, after all you will have the right of abode in a western country with standards of living as high as, or better than that in the US.

3 - if you get a US visa, you may be able to get a 5 year multiple entry. If this is the case, you won't need to apply for one every time you travel there.

As to your friend, I would take what he said with a huge pinch of salt. If he indeed told the Immigration Officer to "mind his own business", I would be 100% sure he would not be allowed in, especially if he needed a visa and did not get one.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:42 pm

thanks for the reply and advice Rogerio

No, i have not been fingerprinted. i will go through the US embassy for the visa.

I was also wondering if the canadians had a similar requirement, i had been denied a canadian visa many years ago,

After acquiring a british passport, will i need to apply for a canadian visa before i travel to canada, or can i just travel normally to canada as any british national would and apply for the canadian visa at the port of entry?

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:50 pm

1- US - Before applying for your US visa, you may want to write for the US embassy in London and seek their advice as well. I was not able to find an email for them, but they do reply.

As I am a Brazilian/UK citizen, and as a Brazilian I used to need to have a visa, I wrote to them asking whether I could travel via the Visa Waiver now that I'm British. Their reply was, since I never had any US visa denied, I could.

Write to them, give them your circumstances, and see what they way.

Their address is

The Consular Information Unit
United States Embassy
24 Grosvenor Square
London W1A 1AE

2 - Canada

I am not familiar with Canadian immigration procedures. Maybe someone else in this forum can help. I had a quick look at the Canadian High Commission website for you, at http://www.canada.org.uk/ and looked under Frequently Asked Questions (miscellaneous, part 6)

Quote from the Canadian Embassy:

"I had some trouble at a point of entry to Canada (e.g. detention, authorization to leave, departure order, deportation order, exclusion order). Is there anything I have to do before returning to Canada?

In order to answer your question, a visa officer will have to review your situation. Please send an explanatory letter to our office, by email, or by mail or by fax, giving your family name, given name, date of birth. Make sure to indicate your complete mailing address and telephone number. We will inform you of any procedures required."

Since you had one visa denied, I would always write to the Embassy for confirmation, after all, you don't want a "denied entry" on your new shiny British passport eh?

Their contact details:

Canadian High Commission
Immigration Division
38 Grosvenor Street
London
W1K 4AA
UK

R

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:37 pm

thanks for the information rogerio
i just came across some information regarding the visa waiver on the uk website

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp.html
Refused a Visa
While travelers who have been refused a visa under the provisions of Section 221(g) or 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act are not ineligible to travel visa under the Visa Waiver Program, they will be questioned by an immigration official at the U. S. port of entry regarding the refusal by the Embassy or Consulate.

The traveler should carry with him or her evidence of his or her intention to depart the United States at the end of the visit. This is generally satisfied by furnishing evidence of strong social and economic ties to the traveler's 's place of permanent residence. There is no set form that this should take as each person's circumstances differ.

If the immigration officer is not satisfied that the traveler meets the qualifications for nonimmigrant status, the traveler will be denied entry.

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:48 am

Hi Roger,

Just wondering what decidion you took. Did you get the visa, or did you travel under the VWP ?

Rogerio

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:18 am

i have not naturalised as yet, i think i will contact the us embassy an the canadaian high commision and see what they say

Fox00
Newly Registered

Post by Fox00 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:04 pm

rogerroger wrote:i have not naturalised as yet, i think i will contact the us
embassy an the canadaian high commision and see what they say
Hi Roger

do you have any updates so far on that? As I am in the same situation as you. Would be great if you can give some more information wheather you contacted US embassy and what was their reply.

mant thanks

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:20 pm

i contacted the us authorities & the canadian guys,

the canadians responded by stating that they did not have a problem

from the us i got an an automated response with a whole bunch of links. one of the linkswas the link to the local us embassy's website (london in our case)

i checked out this link
http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp.html

and this is what it says
Refused a Visa

While travelers who have been refused a visa under the provisions of Section 221(g) or 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act are not ineligible to travel visa under the Visa Waiver Program, they will be questioned by an immigration official at the U. S. port of entry regarding the refusal by the Embassy or Consulate.

The traveler should carry with him or her evidence of his or her intention to depart the United States at the end of the visit. This is generally satisfied by furnishing evidence of strong social and economic ties to the traveler's 's place of permanent residence. There is no set form that this should take as each person's circumstances differ.

If the immigration officer is not satisfied that the traveler meets the qualifications for nonimmigrant status, the traveler will be denied entry.

does this mean that if you have been refused a visa before you can still use the visa waiver.

do you guys know what is Section 221(g) or 214(b)?

i guess any other section does not matter, right?

i did a search for these sections, came across the aussie website
http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/visarefusal.html

it states that

What to do if refused a visa

If your application for a nonimmigrant visa has been refused, you will be informed why. The most common refusals are under Section 221(g) and Section 214(b) of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act. Other refusal sections are specific, and such refusals will be accompanied by a detailed note.

Under Section 221(g), we are asking for additional information before making a final decision. Often the application is incomplete, or there are additional requirements such as fees, which are specific to your case, or we need a fuller explanation of your purpose or more explanation of your answers to certain questions. Frequently, part of question 34 was unanswered or unexplained or the application was unsigned. Often, we want to know more about your employment and legal residence in Australia or elsewhere and we could like to see additional evidence about your work and social commitments. Sometimes, certain petitions supporting the visa are missing or incomplete.

When refused under section 221(g), you should provide us the information and/or documents requested, together with the refusal letter and your passport. If you submit the information and/or documents within a year of the application, you will not have to pay another application fee. Once we receive the new information, we will review your application and make a final decision.

Refusals under Section 214(b), mean we understand your situation but have decided against issuing you a visa because you have not overcome a legal presumption that you are using the visitor visa to immigrate or work illegally in the United States.

Applicants can overcome this legal presumption by proving to the consular officer’s satisfaction that they will use the visa appropriately and that they have a residence abroad to which they will return after a temporary visit to the United States. In our evaluation of the applicant’s claim of residence abroad, we will consider the person’s career, financial, property, social, family and other commitments overseas. As a consequence, an applicant who does not have a permanent career or other relationship to Australia or elsewhere is more likely to be refused than a person who has obvious ties and obligations. The applicant who has only an uncertain future, indefinite plans in the U.S. and unclear finances is likely to be refused under section 214(b). Applicants who are not legal permanent or long-term residents in Australia also are more likely to be refused because they are either unsettled, between careers and residences, or because we cannot evaluate their claims to ties outside our consular district.

Fox00
Newly Registered

Post by Fox00 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:39 pm

hmm this doesn't explain anythihg... at least in my case

I am sure my visa has been refused under Section 214(b). I need to find that document that I've been given if I still have it somewhere.
Which means they didn't trust I would return back to UK. But now holding UK passport do I still need to apply for visa? That's the quastion.

Will try to call them next week to find out details or maybe better to write them

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:12 pm

fox, which visa had you applied for and what was your status (ILR/student) when you were refused.

Fox00
Newly Registered

Post by Fox00 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:11 pm

rogerroger wrote:fox, which visa had you applied for and what was your status (ILR/student) when you were refused.
Hi

I applied just for visitor visa to visit my brother and I was on work permit, it was before I got ILR. I didn't apply after I got ILR.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:54 pm

ah your situation has changed 2 times since then
ilr and then british nationality

Fox00
Newly Registered

Post by Fox00 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:40 am

rogerroger wrote:ah your situation has changed 2 times since then
ilr and then british nationality
yeah, that's true, but do I need visa even if I am british passport holder but has been refused visa in the past?

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:15 am

where you rejected under section 221(g) or 214(b), if that is the case then you are not eligible to travel under visa waiver?

sheetaxml
Newly Registered

Refused Visa

Post by sheetaxml » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:33 am

I was been refused US visit visa back in 2001 when I was an Indian National. Now I am british, Do I need to take VISA to visit US or can I use VWP.

thanks

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:54 pm

sheetaxml

in my opinion according to what i posted last, the answer is yes, we can use the visa waiver program

what do you guys think

Fox00
Newly Registered

Post by Fox00 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:51 am

I called US embassy in russia and they said yes I can use VWP if going on business trip to US or visit someone in US. But it's up to the immigration officer to decide whether to allow me to enter US or not.

I am going to email another embassy to get confirmed answer and will post it here

Fox00
Newly Registered

Post by Fox00 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:24 pm

What I understood from communication with US embassy officials is that I may travel to the United States with my British passport but the DHS officials in the USA will decide regarding my eligibility to enter the United States.

Which means no problem for me to fly to the United States but they can put me on the plane back to UK :)

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:16 pm

Previous 212b and 214g denials can use the VWP but are likely to face more extensive questioning at a PEO with a significant chance of being sent to secondary inspection. Best to answer all questions asked truthfully but not necessarily volunteer any information. The inspectors have immense powers and are the final authority on entry into the US.

If they don't buy your story you get sent back to the UK with a normal refusal (no bans) or worse be placed under expedited removal proccedings (usually for fraud) and banned from seeking entry to the US for 5 years. In both cases you may never use the VWP again and must always obtain a B1/B2 non immigrant visa. Carry extensive proof that you have compelling ties in the UK - IMHO descending order of relevance/importance - paystubs (UK wage/pay slips), mortgage deeds, employer letter, bank statements, return tickets.

legin
Newly Registered

Similar sitation but was a B1 rejection..

Post by legin » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:59 pm

I am british citizen now.. but was refused visa(B1 i think) in 2001 & 2002 for a business visit through my UK based company..

The reason was that i was a 'potential migrant' Not sure what section that was..

As kalaymani says we can travel to the US, but its upto the officials there to deceide if we have enough ties in the UK.. So we better carry as much evidence we can.. Silly it is..!