ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife surname change

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

karupalli

Wife surname change

Post by karupalli » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi

My wife and me got ILR recently. My wife has different surname to my family name and we are planning to change it.

If I change the surname now (means get a new passport with different name).. will it be problem for naturalization / travel?

Thanks in advance for advising me.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:08 pm

Not sure, but you may then be required to submit evidence(s) of name change (to prove the person who was granted settlement is one and same who is now applying for naturalisation).

I am sure others with more knowledge on the issue will correct me if I have stated something wrong.

regards

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:40 pm

She can apply for naturalisation under her married name, and have her married name in the 'birth name' section. Supply marriage certificate as evidence of name change. As I understand naturalisation certificate will contain both her married name and birth name, she can apply for British cert using married name

krimith

Re: Wife surname change

Post by krimith » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:28 pm

karupalli wrote:Hi

My wife and me got ILR recently. My wife has different surname to my family name and we are planning to change it.

If I change the surname now (means get a new passport with different name).. will it be problem for naturalization / travel?

Thanks in advance for advising me.
No thats no problem but when you apply BC that time send proof, so they can verify old and new surname
You can do it,you can change name or surname or both when apply BC application,if you change legally so send application with deed poll original letter which is approved with solicitor and if you change anyother way so send it marriage certificate or birth certificate for your wife then when your BC certificate came so both name or surname you can see, first one with new and second they write birth time name or surname

mansawant

Name change

Post by mansawant » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:26 pm

Hi,

I am just continuing the same thread regarding name change. My wife has her Indian passport in maiden name and she came to UK on work permit with her Indian Passport after marriage. Now we all ( my wife, son and I) got ILR in August 2009 and are applying for Naturalization in next week.

My wife would like to change her name so appriciate any advice.

Do we need to wait until she receive her British Passport on her maiden name and then apply for name change or is there any way that she can apply to receive her naturalization approval on her married name and then apply for British Passport on married name.

But all her work permit documents and NI numer is on her maiden name.

Regards,
Manish

f2k
Diamond Member

Re: Name change

Post by f2k » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:50 pm

mansawant wrote:Hi,

I am just continuing the same thread regarding name change. My wife has her Indian passport in maiden name and she came to UK on work permit with her Indian Passport after marriage. Now we all ( my wife, son and I) got ILR in August 2009 and are applying for Naturalization in next week.

Do we need to wait until she receive her British Passport on her maiden name and then apply for name change or is there any way that she can apply to receive her naturalization approval on her married name and then apply for British Passport on married name.

Regards,
Manish
As i stated above, she can apply for naturalisation by filling her married name in the name section and her maiden name in 'birth name' section, on the 'additional information' section just explain that you have decided to use your new name now. supply the marriage cert.

Anyway we did that we my wife and the approval letter was addressed to Mr and Mrs xxxxxx, and my wifes invitation letter states in the name section her married name and it states that this is what will be on the certificate of naturalisation. Still to do the ceremony so cant confirm that yet.

krimith

Post by krimith » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:50 pm

Regards,
Manish
Simply you can do whatever you like but if need advice so better apply new name in BC application so thats all easy way, both you can do it, and dont forget to send name change proof merriage cer. or deed poll original letter, then when you get BC certificate you can see both name first one with new name and second whatever birth time name, and yes your last Question about other document and NI number, You have to change everywhere when you recevied BC cert. or british passport

mansawant

Post by mansawant » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:28 am

Hi,

Does my wife need to change her signature when she apply for naturalisation to get BC on her married name or she can use the same singtuare on her Indian Passport which is on her maiden name. She is using the same signature everwhere in UK as she came UK on her maiden name passport and maiden name is mentioned everwhere. (e.g. at work, all home office details, bank details).

She is sending her Indian Passport (maiden name) with the naturlisation application.

Does she need to change her signature or she can carry on with the same signature in future?

Manish

airdream
Newly Registered

Post by airdream » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:51 am

Hello,

what about the forename? I'd like to amend it a ittle bit. I'm Tomasz and I' like to have my forname written as Thomas. I have never requested in paper to change it. Do you think that I'm allowed to do it during the application?
Thanks
Tomasz :-)

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:50 pm

Does my wife need to change her signature when she apply for naturalisation to get BC on her married name or she can use the same singtuare on her Indian Passport which is on her maiden name. She is using the same signature everwhere in UK as she came UK on her maiden name passport and maiden name is mentioned everwhere. (e.g. at work, all home office details, bank details).

She is sending her Indian Passport (maiden name) with the naturlisation application.

Does she need to change her signature or she can carry on with the same signature in future?

Manish
i dont believe it is necessary to change signature. in my opinion it may be better to change otherwise you would keep getting second looks everytime she signs something. if the signature is an illeigible 'scribble' then it really shouldnt make a difference

krimith

Post by krimith » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:57 pm

airdream wrote:Hello,

what about the forename? I'd like to amend it a ittle bit. I'm Tomasz and I' like to have my forname written as Thomas. I have never requested in paper to change it. Do you think that I'm allowed to do it during the application?
Thanks
Tomasz :-)
You can change it via solicitor they charge you but its acceptable in UKBA,
so easy and send it original with your document(DEED POLL)

airdream
Newly Registered

Post by airdream » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I send my AN application with the old details. Now, once the certificate of the naturalisation obtained, I will apply for the new passport with the Deed Poll certificate.
Tomasz

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:37 pm

Regards,
Manish
Congratulations on becoming a British citizen. Can you give us an update with regards to your wife's name on certificate, if you had any problems etc?

ukcitizen1912
Newly Registered

Post by ukcitizen1912 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi,
I am continuing the same thread regarding name change.
Can someone from the above who had applied for name change during naturalisation please confirm that their application was successful.
I want to change name my name from maiden to married and would like to take 'f2k's advice of giving my married name in 'other name' and maiden name in 'birth name'. I have marriage certificate issued in India and also deed poll which shows my new signature.
I just want to confirm that such applications are successful and married name appears on naturalisation certificate and British passport.
Also, can you please confirm if married name should appear in the 'Refrees' section as well.

Thanks in advance.