ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

chashmebaddur

British Citizenship

Post by chashmebaddur » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:23 am

Hello everyone,

I request all senior members to guide on following :

I came here on uk on HSMP old rule - on August 21, 2005.

Wife joined me in April 2008.

Son born in UK September 2009.

We got our Permanent Residency under judicial review HSMP on September 2009.

Query :

[1] When can i apply for naturalisation / british citizen?

[2] We did not apply for my son's british passport as we are planning to apply it together. Is he qualify to apply for british passport with me?

[3] can my wife who joined me in April 2008 and my dependent apply for her british passport as well ? or she has to wait for completion of 5 years to get her british passport ? or she can get the british passport under hsmp old judicial rule?

[4] Do we need to appear for life in the uk test ? i.e. me and my wife? i.e. irrespective of time duration when she can apply for british passport with me or not - query no.3.. i.e. if she is not eligible to apply for british passport under 3 above, is it necessary for her to clear life in the uk test now? or can she wait for her application time in future?

[5] if wife has to wait to complete five years, can i only apply for me and my sons british passport and only appear for life in the uk test and tell my wife to wait till her application for british passport in future...

[6] lastly if my wife is not eligible to apply her british passport / naturalisation now... when can she apply i.e. time / period ?

Thanks once again for your time...

geriatrix

Re: British Citizenship

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:04 am

First one naturalises as a British citizen and then applies for British passport.
chashmebaddur wrote:When can i apply for naturalisation
After 1 yr. of being granted settlement. Read Standard requirements.
chashmebaddur wrote:We did not apply for my son's british passport as we are planning to apply it together. Is he qualify to apply for british passport with me?
If you had ILR when your son was born, then the child is already British and you can apply for his British passport straightaway. If the child was born before you received ILR, then register your child as British using MN1 form and upon registration apply for child's passport.
chashmebaddur wrote:can my wife who joined me in April 2008 and my dependent apply for her british passport as well ? or she has to wait for completion of 5 years to get her british passport ? or she can get the british passport under hsmp old judicial rule?
Your wife will be eligible for naturalisation after completing 3 years in the UK.
chashmebaddur wrote:Do we need to appear for life in the uk test ? i.e. me and my wife?
Both of you will need to pass KOL test before applying for naturalisation. It is your choice as to when you would like to take the test.

regards

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:38 am

sushdmehta wrote:
chashmebaddur wrote:can my wife who joined me in April 2008 and my dependent apply for her british passport as well ? or she has to wait for completion of 5 years to get her british passport ? or she can get the british passport under hsmp old judicial rule?
Your wife will be eligible for naturalisation after completing 3 years in the UK.
She can only apply apply after 3 years (April 2011) once you have been accepted for naturalisation and attended your citizenship ceremony.

If you want to apply together then you need to wait until she has been in the UK 5 years and had ILR for 1 year (April 2013).

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:04 am

djb123, thanks for making it explicitly clear to the OP.

regards

chashmebaddur

Post by chashmebaddur » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:02 pm

Just to sum up :

I got my PR in sept 2009 last year so am eligible to apply for my naturalisation in sept 2010.

my son will also be included in my application as my dependent

once we get the naturalisation certificate, we will apply for the british passport - me and my son

i will clear the life in the uk test before applying for naturalisation

my wife will be applying for her naturalisation in april 2011 and she will be passing her life in the uk test before applying for naturalisation and then she will be applying for her british passport in 2011 as well...

correct me if i am wrong in any case!!

Thanks once again for your response sush and djb, really appreciated...

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:39 am

chashmebaddur wrote:my son will also be included in my application as my dependent
Unlike you, your child doesn't need to naturalise as British citizen. Follow as explained in response above, depending on when your child was born (before your ILR or after).

regards

chashmebaddur

guidance

Post by chashmebaddur » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:46 pm

Dear Friends,

I am planning to apply for my naturalisation and need some help for the following:

[1] Which form do i need to fill in ?

[2] will be applying for myself and my dependent son 18 months, which documents do i need to include?

[3] fees to be payable at the time of application

[4] address where to send the application

[5] any other guidance for submission of the application.

i have already cleared my life in the uk test so will be adding that with my application, I came to uk on hsmp under old rule.... and applying for british citizen.

Thanks in advance

Regards

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:44 pm

chashmebaddur

Post by chashmebaddur » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:38 am

Thank u sushdmehta....

However,... still confuse about this....

[1] do i need to apply first for my son in mn1 form or do i need to add him as dependent under form AN1?

[2] the fees structure looks very confusing... please guide as to how much do i need to pay... the fees table shows different fees and needs some clarification....

[3] does that mean i have to apply first for my son under form mn1 and after getting clearance / i have to add him with me in form an1? or just add him as dependent in form an1?

thanks once again

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:49 am

sushdmehta wrote:If you had ILR when your son was born, then the child is already British and you can apply for his British passport straightaway. If the child was born before you received ILR, then register your child as British using MN1 form and upon registration apply for child's passport.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

chashmebaddur

Post by chashmebaddur » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:06 am

Hi vinny thanks for ur prompt response!

I did not have ilr at the time of birth of my son... hence will have to apply for his mn1 first... but can someone please advise on other queries please!!!

thanks and sorry if this sounds silly....!!!

chashmebaddur

Post by chashmebaddur » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:21 am

Further to previous query...

Sum up --- guidance needed for

[1] how to include my son i.e. separate MN1 with nothing mentioned in my AN1

or

fill out MN1for my son and put that form with my application in AN1 and reference to him as dependent in my AN1 as well?

[2] FEES ???? 470 / 735 / 550????

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:37 am

chashmebaddur wrote:Hi vinny thanks for ur prompt response!

I did not have ilr at the time of birth of my son... hence will have to apply for his mn1 first... but can someone please advise on other queries please!!!

thanks and sorry if this sounds silly....!!!
chashmebaddur wrote:We got our Permanent Residency under judicial review HSMP on September 2009.
Was your child born before or after the date of your ILR, as retrospectively granted?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

chashmebaddur

Post by chashmebaddur » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:48 am

Hi Vinny

My son was born before getting my ILR..

I got ILR in sept 2009, son born in december 2008.

Thanks for the link... so all i have to do is fill out his MN1, pay fees for MN1 £470

BUT

What about other queries i.e. total fees 470 / 735 / 550 ?? and also any mention inclusion of my son with my form AN1 along with MN1>>?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:09 am

Cost of applying[/url] > [url=http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/britishcitizenship/feesfrom060410.pdf]fees leaflet wrote:FEE TYPE | APPLICATION FORM |TYPE OF APPLICATION | PROCESSING FEE

A | FORM AN | Naturalisation | £735
D | Form B(OTA) B(OS) EM MN1 S2 S3 T | One child under 18 | £470 *

chashmebaddur

Post by chashmebaddur » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:44 am

Thanks Vinny,

Just to sum up....

[1] Total fees payable 735 + 470

[2] fill out MN1 for my son

[3] fill out AN1 form for myself...

are these correct? will be sending both these forms with my application for naturalisation!! correct me if wrong!

do i need to pay registration fees £550 later on?

does the above fees includes fees for ceremony?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:52 am

chashmebaddur wrote:do i need to pay registration fees £550 later on?
For whom? Your wife will have to pay the naturalisation fee when she applies.
chashmebaddur wrote:does the above fees includes fees for ceremony?
Cost of applying[/url] > [url=http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/britishcitizenship/feesfrom060410.pdf]fees leaflet wrote:The overall fee for British citizenship comprises two elements. They are:

a) Fee for handling and processing the application. None of this is refundable if the application is refused or withdrawn.

b) Citizenship ceremony fee. This is paid by applicants who are liable to attend a citizenship ceremony. It is refunded to applicants whose applications are refused or withdrawn.

The total amount including the ceremony fee is shown on the tariff overleaf.