ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport application query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

Jules163
Newly Registered

Passport application query

Post by Jules163 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:45 am

Hi

My husband is from Morocco, was naturalised as a British Citizen earlier this week on the basis of 2 year spouse and 1 year ILR. Everything was straightforward but we seem to have hit a stumbling block with the passport applciation.

The application form asks for parents DOB - which we can provide as these were used on the citizenship application - but we don't know and they can't remember, their date of marriage - only a guess.

I've rung the passport office enquiry line to see if this information is relevant and have been told it is required along with grandparent details. We might be able to get his paternal grandmother's details but that's all.

His parents and grandparents are all moroccan and live in Morocco so I can't see why this is relevant but obviously we don't want to waste time if it means the application will be returned if the information is not completed.

I wondered if anyone had come across the same situation?

melo75

Re: Passport application query

Post by melo75 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:33 am

Jules163 wrote:Hi

My husband is from Morocco, was naturalised as a British Citizen earlier this week on the basis of 2 year spouse and 1 year ILR. Everything was straightforward but we seem to have hit a stumbling block with the passport applciation.

The application form asks for parents DOB - which we can provide as these were used on the citizenship application - but we don't know and they can't remember, their date of marriage - only a guess.

I've rung the passport office enquiry line to see if this information is relevant and have been told it is required along with grandparent details. We might be able to get his paternal grandmother's details but that's all.

His parents and grandparents are all moroccan and live in Morocco so I can't see why this is relevant but obviously we don't want to waste time if it means the application will be returned if the information is not completed.

I wondered if anyone had come across the same situation?
Hi Jules163,

I am in the same situation as your husband. I do have all my parents' details and 3 out of my 4 grandparent's details but I am missing one of my grandparents DOB and no one in the family can remember it or find any documentation for it. (All 4 grandparents passed away).

I called up the Home Office but it was the weekend but I left my number and they were kind enough to call me back. The lady advised that for whatever information you are missing just attach a note explaining why you could not provide it. So fill out whatever information you have, and attach a note explaining your missing info. I am sure the HO had come across many cases like ours.

I am still nervous about it but when the time comes will do as they advised.

Good luck!

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:50 am

See also First time adult Passport app. for Naturalised citizen

and
JAJ wrote:If you don't know, you don't know. Write unknown. An application should not be rejected for this reason.
Cane wrote:Hmm. I just ignored providing that information for the very reason you stated, as well as the rather difficult fact that I have no way of accessing that information as my grandparents are all deceased. Am still awaiting hearing from IPS about my passport application - wonder if this will have an impact?
Cane wrote:Date of passport application : 5/2/10
Method used : Check and Send
Date for passport Interview: 17/2/10
Date of Receipt of Passport: 20/2/10
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

melo75

Post by melo75 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:09 am

vinny wrote:See also First time adult Passport app. for Naturalised citizen

and
JAJ wrote:If you don't know, you don't know. Write unknown. An application should not be rejected for this reason.
Cane wrote:Hmm. I just ignored providing that information for the very reason you stated, as well as the rather difficult fact that I have no way of accessing that information as my grandparents are all deceased. Am still awaiting hearing from IPS about my passport application - wonder if this will have an impact?
Cane wrote:Date of passport application : 5/2/10
Method used : Check and Send
Date for passport Interview: 17/2/10
Date of Receipt of Passport: 20/2/10
Thanks Vinny. That was very helpful.

melo75

Post by melo75 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Guys I have two further questions on the application form:

1. I live in London, so under address it asks for BOTH town and county. In my case what is my town and county?? In all my previous paperwork I just put "London". Not sure if London here is the county or the town. And if it is the county, then what is the town? And if it is the town, then what is the county??

2. Do I send only my current passport with the application or also my expired one (which I initially entered the UK on 6 years ago)?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
M

beeba

Post by beeba » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:12 pm

melo75 wrote:Guys I have two further questions on the application form:

1. I live in London, so under address it asks for BOTH town and county. In my case what is my town and county?? In all my previous paperwork I just put "London". Not sure if London here is the county or the town. And if it is the county, then what is the town? And if it is the town, then what is the county??

2. Do I send only my current passport with the application or also my expired one (which I initially entered the UK on 6 years ago)?

Thanks
M
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_of_London

2. You need to send expired one also

melo75

Post by melo75 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:19 pm

beeba wrote:

Thanks
M

Thanks beeba. So London is the county. Then what is the "town"?

beeba

Post by beeba » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:33 pm

melo75 wrote:
beeba wrote:

Thanks
M

http://www.londononline.co.uk/towns/

melo75

Post by melo75 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:53 pm

beeba wrote:
melo75 wrote:
beeba wrote:

Thanks
M

Thanks again beeba!!
I am still confused about what to put in section 3 of the application about previous passports. I have 2 passports. One current which has the ILR stamp on it, and one expired and stamped cancelled by my consulate which has the original entry stamp I entered the UK on 6 years ago.

On the application form it say "you must send us all uncancelled passports and say how many in the box." So according to this I should send my current passport and put "1" in the box.

But on the supporting documents checklist it say your UK National ID number OR the passport you entered the UK with. So the safe bet is to send the two passports, although section 3 says to only send UNCANCELLED passports. So if I do send BOTH passports do I put both passport numbers in section three along with "2" in the box, eventhough one of them is CANCELLED??
Thanks again.
M

melo75

Post by melo75 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:19 am

melo75 wrote:
beeba wrote:
melo75 wrote:
beeba wrote:

Thanks again beeba!!
I am still confused about what to put in section 3 of the application about previous passports. I have 2 passports. One current which has the ILR stamp on it, and one expired and stamped cancelled by my consulate which has the original entry stamp I entered the UK on 6 years ago.

On the application form it say "you must send us all uncancelled passports and say how many in the box." So according to this I should send my current passport and put "1" in the box.

But on the supporting documents checklist it say your UK National ID number OR the passport you entered the UK with. So the safe bet is to send the two passports, although section 3 says to only send UNCANCELLED passports. So if I do send BOTH passports do I put both passport numbers in section three along with "2" in the box, eventhough one of them is CANCELLED??
Thanks again.
M
For the benefit of people in the same situation, I have called the ISP help line. They need ONLY your current passport. No need to send expired or cancelled passports.
Thanks
M

MrCheeks147
Newly Registered

Post by MrCheeks147 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:40 pm

This is quite confusing to be honest - I called IPS and was advised by one person that I'll need to send BOTH passports (Expired and Valid); called back again and was advised differently that I need to send ONLY the valid (Blank) passport...

Which is which?!?!?

I think I'll just send both....

Confused,..... :roll: :roll:

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:24 pm

i think somewhere on the form/guidance notes it actually says do not send 'cancelled' will check to confirm this.

that failing you wont get denied for sending both or more (if you have had more than 2). so if you do have them available just send them

beeba

Post by beeba » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:23 pm

MrCheeks147 wrote:This is quite confusing to be honest - I called IPS and was advised by one person that I'll need to send BOTH passports (Expired and Valid); called back again and was advised differently that I need to send ONLY the valid (Blank) passport...

Which is which?!?!?

I think I'll just send both....

Confused,..... :roll: :roll:
Whatever they said on the phone I think it makes sense to send all your passports (Expired + Valid) as on the form it states,
"You must send us all uncancelled passports with the application" and there are 3 rows to put passport numbers. I guess no one can have 3 valid passports until he/she has 3 different nationalities. And also if we have to mention the passport numbers the person had or been included in any before.

They may accept only the current passport without any objection but I think its better to send all available passports as f2k advised.

Regards.