ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

when am I exercising treaty rights?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

JetBlack
Newly Registered

when am I exercising treaty rights?

Post by JetBlack » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:24 pm

I am a British citizen and my wife is chinese. I have been out of the UK for 7 years, first doing a PhD in Germany and then a postdoc in the Republic of Ireland. My wife and I have been married for 5 years and living together the whole time - we were married in the UK. Unfortunately I was made unemployed for 10 months at the end of my time in ireland, though I did apply for many jobs and had several interviews (I'm a professional working in a very limited area and so it is difficult to find work even at the best of times) and we survived on some state benefits plus my wife's salary (she was working in Ireland). She also has an Irish residency card. Am I classed as exercising my treaty rights in bringing her to the UK under these circumstances?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:46 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

JetBlack
Newly Registered

Post by JetBlack » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:30 am

Yes I'm aware of the basics thanks. The problem is my period of unemployment at the end of my time in Ireland. I do have evidence that I was registered with the employment authorities in Ireland and was seeking work while there

thanks.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:51 am

I am pretty sure you are covered. Where are you right now?

Were you being paid during your postdoc?

JetBlack
Newly Registered

Post by JetBlack » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:08 pm

I have just returned to the UK about a month ago to start work. We had applied in ireland but were refused because I hadn't included enough documentation so my wife is back in China at the moment and we are just reorganising the application, since she was refused again because apparently we hadn't shown evidence that I was working in Ireland (even though I included income tax forms). Yes I was paid during my postdoc work - I have the tax certificates to demonstrate that and now I have a letter from my old university and my P45 and P60, and also evidence that I was registered as a jobseeker in Ireland.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:54 pm

Your wife did not need to go back to China. I think you should have no problem.

JetBlack
Newly Registered

Post by JetBlack » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:00 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Your wife did not need to go back to China. I think you should have no problem.
oh she was going anyway. Nice long holiday with her parents and she deserves it quite frankly! Thanks for the help. I'll stick the application in again and make sure that I include absolutely every last bit of info about what I was doing in ireland in terms of work and looking for work. Hopefully that shuts them up.

JetBlack
Newly Registered

Post by JetBlack » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:53 pm

Oh one more question. In the event that she gets refused again, we don't really want to appeal as that takes months and we are fed up of being apart and were thinking of just getting her here via the spouses visa, which costs 700 quid. If we did that after a full refusal and wanted to make a complaint later about incorrect application of the law, can we do it that way, and would we have to get a lawyer or just go through the appeals system?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Re: when am I exercising treaty rights?

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:46 am

JetBlack wrote:She also has an Irish residency card.
Does she have the Irish issued 4EUFam card?

JetBlack
Newly Registered

Post by JetBlack » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:25 pm

the stamp 4 card? yes I think that's the one she has.