ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My take on the Job Market mid-2010

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kenfrapin

My take on the Job Market mid-2010

Post by kenfrapin » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi All,

Before I give details on my specific experience, I just want to state that in the course of the past 2 months, some major consultancies have begun hiring. 4 of my current colleagues have also got new roles - 2 of them just being in the UK for over a year now. 1 got in Ops and another in SOA design/development. Another 2 have secured good contracts - one in BI in London and another in QA up North.
Plus as part of my hunt I realize that there are still quite a few roles and with signs of the market picking up now - DONT give up hope, you can do it :)

Finally, I guess I am at the liberty of giving a few details of my experience of hunting for a change and move up the pecking order in my specific area of expertise.
So this is what I did first
1. Had been constantly working on my resume - reading, editing, looking at job roles specific to my experience and capturing key words required etc. Proof read a million times and finally fit 7 yrs exp with enough detail inside 3 pages - this included qualifications, summary of work done, achievements etc
2. Did not post my CV publicly - looked for specific roles and applied for 4 in total. Also went on to each of the major IT Consultancy Companies, registered my account and looked through more than 1000 roles in total, opened them and read very clearly if I actually was a fit for these openings. It is very well known that good companies just blacklist CVs that pop up in every single role - meaning, the candidate is blindly applying for the roles
3. Waited patiently to see what happened next

This started in July and within 2 weeks, 3 of the 4 shortlisted me and scheduled first round interviews. All 3 went well - 2 called for the next and final rounds while I never heard back from the other.
I opted out of one of these because they were just paying me few Ks more than what I get now and it made no sense. They did have a massive bonus package of 50% of total pay but it dint convince me to proceed with the interview. Decided to go just with 1 company for the final round, which went very well and I was made an offer. While I could have haggled for a LOT more, I respect the fact that the company has given me an amazing role, opened many new domains for me to get into and, most importantly, a 55% pay hike - I did not want to seem greedy and ask for more

End Result - I will be joining them shortly once I relocate, plan my holidays etc but I would like to once again state that with hard work, a good profile and excellent communication skills securing a job is not difficult. Do your homework well, apply ONLY for roles you are confident of and work on your CV a million times before applying for any role. I have been spending an hour every weekend for almost 6 months honing my CV and, as per me, making it just perfect to showcase and sell ME 8)

Wish everyone the very best and wish you guys all the luck - we all know that there are jobs but we never get PICKED.
Preliminary work around making your profile stand out is even more difficult than the actual interview because that holds the KEY. Once you are actually shortlisted for an interview, your biggest worry is over because you then have a chance to showcase and sell yourself during the actual interviews - this is something YOU can control and the result of which is in YOUR hands. The biggest problem in the first place is just getting picked from a pool of 100s of candidates - and that's where you need to spend a lot of time on.

KP

wabuthu

Re: My take on the Job Market mid-2010

Post by wabuthu » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:59 pm

@Kenfrapin: wow, another excellent post that is giving all of us in the job search hope as well as insight into how the job market currently is.

Congrats to you on the new job, it sounds excellent and with a 55% pay increase especially in this economy shows that your existing skills, experience and hard work in the job search paid off.
kenfrapin wrote:It is very well known that good companies just blacklist CVs that pop up in every single role - meaning, the candidate is blindly applying for the roles
i have learned alot of valuable tips from your post...in my case i think this is the most important i've learned today. i've been posting my cv all over and even in several posts within the same organisation. I had no idea they blacklist such candidates, and as you mention it confirms to them that I was just blindly applying.

I've also learned from your post to be realistic about the roles apply, only to apply for what i know i'm qualified for and not just anything that pops up.

Thanks again and congrats again on the new job. all the best :)
i'm not a professional, i'm just giving responses from personal experiences or from ukba or ukcisa links that appear appropriate to the situation. currently on PSW visa

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:18 pm

Thanks Wabuthu,

While I dont have concrete info about companies blacklisting CVs if they see it blindly applied for all posts - I believe that this is what they definitely do to profiles that just keep applying thinking its a LOTTERY system and they will be picked up sometime. It never works that way at all!!!

The bottom line is, as you rightly said, ONLY apply to those roles that really fit your experience and your profile and with a CV that showcases your specific skills, there is no reason why they wont pick you up and give an interview to prove your worth :wink:

All the best
KP

aprao_bangalore
Newly Registered

Post by aprao_bangalore » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:32 pm

wabuthu wrote: in several posts within the same organisation.
You can definitely apply for multiple posts in the same organization if you are confident that your skills match what they have asked. In my case I had applied for 2 different roles for the same company and had interviews for both the roles. Both the managers were convinced but asked me which one was more interesting for me and as I chose one further interviews were conducted only for that role.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:38 pm

I guess I should have been specific - by multiple I meant blindly applying for N number of roles just because one of the job requirements is something you have in your profile - this means while you dont satisfy almost 80% of the requirements, you apply hoping that you will get called someway or the other...

Applying for roles that you have expertise in - especially similar roles but varied just as Developer/Senior Developer/Team Lead or Analyst/Consultant/Sr Consultant is absolutely fine...there is no harm in doing so..

Just wanted to state the obvious fact that Companies are wary of what people do in the open market and apply for roles like a daily batch job kicking in at 10pm every night, trawling through for single key words and hitting the APPLY button :twisted:

KP

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Post by aspirant99 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:24 am

kenfrapin wrote:Hi All,

Before I give details on my specific experience, I just want to state that in the course of the past 2 months, some major consultancies have begun hiring. 4 of my current colleagues have also got new roles - 2 of them just being in the UK for over a year now. 1 got in Ops and another in SOA design/development. Another 2 have secured good contracts - one in BI in London and another in QA up North.
Plus as part of my hunt I realize that there are still quite a few roles and with signs of the market picking up now - DONT give up hope, you can do it :)

Finally, I guess I am at the liberty of giving a few details of my experience of hunting for a change and move up the pecking order in my specific area of expertise.
So this is what I did first
1. Had been constantly working on my resume - reading, editing, looking at job roles specific to my experience and capturing key words required etc. Proof read a million times and finally fit 7 yrs exp with enough detail inside 3 pages - this included qualifications, summary of work done, achievements etc
2. Did not post my CV publicly - looked for specific roles and applied for 4 in total. Also went on to each of the major IT Consultancy Companies, registered my account and looked through more than 1000 roles in total, opened them and read very clearly if I actually was a fit for these openings. It is very well known that good companies just blacklist CVs that pop up in every single role - meaning, the candidate is blindly applying for the roles
3. Waited patiently to see what happened next

This started in July and within 2 weeks, 3 of the 4 shortlisted me and scheduled first round interviews. All 3 went well - 2 called for the next and final rounds while I never heard back from the other.
I opted out of one of these because they were just paying me few Ks more than what I get now and it made no sense. They did have a massive bonus package of 50% of total pay but it dint convince me to proceed with the interview. Decided to go just with 1 company for the final round, which went very well and I was made an offer. While I could have haggled for a LOT more, I respect the fact that the company has given me an amazing role, opened many new domains for me to get into and, most importantly, a 55% pay hike - I did not want to seem greedy and ask for more

End Result - I will be joining them shortly once I relocate, plan my holidays etc but I would like to once again state that with hard work, a good profile and excellent communication skills securing a job is not difficult. Do your homework well, apply ONLY for roles you are confident of and work on your CV a million times before applying for any role. I have been spending an hour every weekend for almost 6 months honing my CV and, as per me, making it just perfect to showcase and sell ME 8)

Wish everyone the very best and wish you guys all the luck - we all know that there are jobs but we never get PICKED.
Preliminary work around making your profile stand out is even more difficult than the actual interview because that holds the KEY. Once you are actually shortlisted for an interview, your biggest worry is over because you then have a chance to showcase and sell yourself during the actual interviews - this is something YOU can control and the result of which is in YOUR hands. The biggest problem in the first place is just getting picked from a pool of 100s of candidates - and that's where you need to spend a lot of time on.

KP
Well done mate!! ..congratulations!!

I concur..the key to have a successful job hunt is to apply for one's skill specific roles , having a precise & up to date CV, doesn't hurt if one does some mock pratice to how he will present it to the recruiter on a telephone, proof read as already suggested...one has to have that extra edge to be selected from a crowd of N number of candidates..find your edge(the skill that makes you different) and focus on that and sell yourself on that to the recruiter...it's a good one KP..keep it up!!

mackeyme
Newly Registered

Post by mackeyme » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:21 am

Hi All,

I have logged in after long time. I have been viewing this forum everyday with lot of updates. Thanks to you all.

First the bad news one.
You should be in The UK to get a job.

Now the good one.
Now IT job market seems to be showing up. We can find some genuine jobs on the portals.
I started applying jobs from India with an indian mobile number. I received atleast 1 genuine call every fort night.
I took a UK Skype number 2 weeks back and started applying. You know what, I received 2 genuine calls every day.

Some of the consultancies also asked me whether I have my UK ticket ready so that I can appear for personal interview.

Now I am going to take a decision to come to UK.

It is most important to be in the place where you want to work. Thatz what I realised with my visa in hand for almost 19 months now.
I have validity until 2012 Jan.

Hope I can make it and extend my visa by then.

~MaK

mnrao
Newly Registered

Post by mnrao » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:03 pm

Hi mackeyme,

Even I am planning to take UK skype number. If you don't mind, Can you explain me How the number will work out in IND? I mean How to use that number in my mobile?

I know how to buy the number. But want to know, how to setup in my mobile?

Thanks,
Narayana.

mackeyme
Newly Registered

Post by mackeyme » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:47 am

Though this post is irrelevant on this topic, I want to help you.

1. Register with skype for free of cost.
2. Login to skype website and go to Features tab and select online number.
3. Select source country(Ex. UK if you need UK number) and a number. Subscribe for either 3 months or more. for 3 months its 10 GBP.
4. Pay with your visa card or what ever is suitable to you.
5. Once your online number is available, choose call forwarding option.
6. give your indian number and credit your skype account with some amount say 10GBP so that when a call is forwarded, 56p is deducted per min. If you are online on your skype, you can hear it on your PC/Laptop. then you can pick the call and answer which is free.

Hope you have understood...if not read again and try it out. It costs you 20GBP initially and later on your usage.

~ME