ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renewal of EEA Family Permit for non EU spouse

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

klegallo
Newly Registered

Renewal of EEA Family Permit for non EU spouse

Post by klegallo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:02 am

Hi,

My wife (Thai national) currently holds a 5-year EEA family permit, which is due to expire next year.

I understand she is now elegible for a permanent residence permit in the UK called Indefinite Leave to Remain. However, we do not intend to stay in the UK forever and my wife's command of the English language is not the best and i don't know if she would pass the Life in the UK test.

In brief, i am wondering whether it is possible for my wife to apply for a "classic" 5-year renewal of her EEA family residence permit ?
Many thanks !

Kevin

troubled

Re: Renewal of EEA Family Permit for non EU spouse

Post by troubled » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:24 am

klegallo wrote:Hi,

My wife (Thai national) currently holds a 5-year EEA family permit, which is due to expire next year.

I understand she is now elegible for a permanent residence permit in the UK called Indefinite Leave to Remain. However, we do not intend to stay in the UK forever and my wife's command of the English language is not the best and i don't know if she would pass the Life in the UK test.

In brief, i am wondering whether it is possible for my wife to apply for a "classic" 5-year renewal of her EEA family residence permit ?
Many thanks !

Kevin
First eea permanent residence is not called indefinte leave to remain,it is called permanent residence that is it.If you apply through national law this is where it is called indefinite leave to remain.If your wife does not want permanent residence but another five more years of residence card she can apply using EEA2 form.Also those applying for residence card or permanent residence do not need Life in UK test.Life in Test applies to those going through the UK law, permanent residence falls under EU laws therefore no need to pass Life in UK test.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:26 am

Permanent right of residence via the EEA regulations is automatic, if all the relevant conditions are met. No KOL is required.

However, she may apply for a confirmation of her permanent residence status.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

klegallo
Newly Registered

Post by klegallo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:34 am

Many thanks for your responses ! It is really appreciated