ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Partner of a person settled in UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Mirth
Newly Registered

Partner of a person settled in UK

Post by Mirth » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:04 pm

Hello, the situation is that i came to UK in 2008 as a student, in 2009 married EU citizen and was granted 5 years dependent visa. Recently (august 2010) my husband was granted UK permanent residence, so he is now in the category "person settled permanently in UK"...now i'm about to apply for a spouse visa under UK citizenship regulation to get a fastrack for ILR (2 years instead of 4 remaining). Recently the regulation has been changed again, so new dapandants need to pass this stupid english test...am i oblige to? And who knows whether i've got some kind of relief?

THANKS!

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:16 pm

Are you aware that come July 2011 the path to citizenship may change to include probational citizenship before ILR?

Do some more research on the UKBA site.

geriatrix

Re: Partner of a person settled in UK

Post by geriatrix » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:06 pm

Mirth wrote:Recently the regulation has been changed again, so new dapandants need to pass this stupid english test...am i oblige to?
The regulation comes into effect from 29 November 2010.

regards

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:36 pm

Mirth wrote:Hello, the situation is that i came to UK in 2008 as a student, in 2009 married EU citizen and was granted 5 years dependent visa. Recently (august 2010) my husband was granted UK permanent residence, so he is now in the category "person settled permanently in UK"...now i'm about to apply for a spouse visa under UK citizenship regulation to get a fastrack for ILR (2 years instead of 4 remaining). Recently the regulation has been changed again, so new dapandants need to pass this stupid english test...am i oblige to? And who knows whether i've got some kind of relief?

THANKS!
The new path to citizenship can take an extra three years on probationary citizenship depending on how much volunteer work you do. You can shorten it down to one year by volunteering (the list of what you can do hasn't been published yet). However, that's just a year difference. I wouldn't switch if I were you.

If you're from a non english speaking country, I would imagine that the English test would apply to you too.
I tell it like it is.

Mirth
Newly Registered

Post by Mirth » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:04 pm

In this case i can't see the point to wait 5 years (4 in my case) and then face such called "probational citizenship requirement" and apply now...wait another 2 years and do something with this requierements...Well, nothing to worry about english test as was about to apply in the mid of October...

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:18 am

ElenaW wrote: The new path to citizenship can take an extra three years on probationary citizenship depending on how much volunteer work you do. You can shorten it down to one year by volunteering (the list of what you can do hasn't been published yet). However, that's just a year difference. I wouldn't switch if I were you.

If you're from a non english speaking country, I would imagine that the English test would apply to you too.
The English test applies to everyone regardless of whether you come from an English speaking country or not, or whether English is your mother tongue.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:07 pm

Dawie wrote:
ElenaW wrote: The new path to citizenship can take an extra three years on probationary citizenship depending on how much volunteer work you do. You can shorten it down to one year by volunteering (the list of what you can do hasn't been published yet). However, that's just a year difference. I wouldn't switch if I were you.

The English test applies to everyone regardless of whether you come from an English speaking country or not, or whether English is your mother tongue.
Surely you don't sit through an actual written test if the only language you speak is english do you? Isn't there some way to prove you speak english through qualifications? I haven't looked at all into the english test requirement, I just assumed...
I tell it like it is.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:11 pm

ElenaW wrote:
Dawie wrote:

Surely you don't sit through an actual written test if the only language you speak is english do you? Isn't there some way to prove you speak english through qualifications? I haven't looked at all into the english test requirement, I just assumed...
One would think, but unfortunately no.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:17 pm

Mirth wrote:In this case i can't see the point to wait 5 years (4 in my case) and then face such called "probational citizenship requirement" and apply now...wait another 2 years and do something with this requierements...Well, nothing to worry about english test as was about to apply in the mid of October...
The point in staying on the 'EU route' is that PR (Permanent Residence), not to be mistaken for ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain (UK route), is automatically acquired after 5 years of residence with your EU spouse with no language test/life in the UK test/probationary citizenship required. However, if you decide to switch to the UK route you will no doubt get caught in the imminent PC condition which may require up to 3 years residence/economic activity with several other conditions such as compulsory volunteering (paradox, I know)... before you cross the hurdle to acquire ILR. So you're looking at anything from 6 - 8 years to naturalise as British.

So in essence, the time taken to acquire BC may be same under both routes. The major decider? The EU route is free until naturalisation. However the UK requires that you pay (exorbitant) fees for every stage - initial 2 - year spouse visa, PC, ILR and then naturalisation.

Need more be said?
Last edited by Plum70 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:57 pm

Dawie wrote:
ElenaW wrote:
Dawie wrote:

One would think, but unfortunately no.
Ugh. Oh well, atleast there's no need to study for this one. :P
I tell it like it is.