ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Lost

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

TG
Newly Registered

Passport Lost

Post by TG » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:12 pm

Dear All,

It seems that I have lost my passport. The circumstances under which it was lost is rather unfortunate. A prospective employer filed a workpermit application to employ me but submitted my passport along with WP1 form. The workpermit approval was granted within a few days but the passport was not returned. On contacting the relevant Business Team and later In-Country Operational Team 2 we were advised to wait for a week and get in touch again in case we didn't receive my passport. Unfortunately (it is now 10 days since getting my workpermit approved) neither the employer nor me got the passport and repeated queries to the Home Office doesn't seem to produce any postive answer either.

Is there anything I can do to make the Home Office initate a trace on my passport or atleast respond back formally (We have sent numerous faxes and emails - but no response)

Also, at this stage I am rather reluctantly reconciled to the fact that my passport is as good as lost - does anyone have any indication on long it takes to get a new passport (I am an Indian citizen). I still want to take the new position, so would like to get the new passport quickly if possible and apply for FLR - would that be possible?.

Would be grateful for any advice from people with similar experiences.

Thanks!!

TG
Newly Registered

Post by TG » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:40 pm

Another quick query - Whom should I contact at Home Office to get a certicate of "Non-Acquisition of British Nationality" - as I need this to get a duplicate passport.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:23 pm

The Indian High Commission (IHC) would provide details of processing times. I believe they will also confirm that a 'non British nationality acquisition' letter applies to those who have lived in the UK for longer than a designated period. Such letters are requested in writing to the Nationality Department of the Home Office in Liverpool - check the HO website for a full address and contact telephone numbers. Except the letter to take a minimum of 6 weeks though as they search their records - it helps having a letter from the IHC requesting such info!!

I would concentrate my efforts on getting FLR though - contact the FLR team at Cannock and explain your situation. They may approve FLR exceptionally in a written document pending the grant of a new passport. If you are continuing with the same employer though wait for the new passport. By the way your current passport which is with the In-Country Team will likely end up with you in 4-5 weeks.

TG
Newly Registered

Post by TG » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:44 pm

Thanks Kayalami - could you also kindly comment on the following situation

If I were to get my passport back and continue to work for my current employer eventhough a workpermit was approved to work for a prospective new employer - but the FLR was not issued to work for the prospective new employer as I have never applied for a new FLR - would I be breaching any rules?

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:26 pm

Your Q is not very clear but I hope this response answers it. You can continue to work for your current employer with your current FLR. However each WP needs its corresponding FLR so you are not able to work for the new employer until you get fresh FLR. Standard validity of a WP for FLR application is 6 months. When does your new employer want you to start?

TG
Newly Registered

Post by TG » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:00 pm

Sorry Kayalami. My question was - if I were not to join my new employer (pls. note that a work permit has been issued, but not the FLR as I have not even applied for it) but continue working with my current employer would it be legal?

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:39 pm

TG wrote:Sorry Kayalami. My question was - if I were not to join my new employer (pls. note that a work permit has been issued, but not the FLR as I have not even applied for it) but continue working with my current employer would it be legal?
Yes it would be legal as long as your current WP i.e. the one for the current employer is still valid.