ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Over 18 Dependent of Settled Person

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Dgirl20
Newly Registered

Over 18 Dependent of Settled Person

Post by Dgirl20 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:03 pm

Hi Guys,

Im hoping you can help me here. Moved here with my family 5years ago (15 then)and my dad got his ILR about a month ago under the SET (O) application. I couldnt however apply at the same time as I hadnt completed my life in the UK test yet and also over 18 so couldnt apply at the same time as him.

Now im trying to apply for ILR as his over 18 dependent as this is still the case, but not sure what form to use. On the SET (O) form it says dependents over 18 should apply separetely and pay the specified fee on the SET (F) form it says over 18 dependent relative and applies mostly to people abroad with relatives settled here. This is abit confusing for me.Can some one please advise urgently what form I will need to use?

Will really appreciate your help as I really need to submit my application.
Hoping to hear soon.

Dgirl20
Newly Registered

Thanks

Post by Dgirl20 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:37 pm

sushdmehta wrote:SET (F)

regards
Hi, Thanks for this.

SET F seems to relate to dependent relatives who are outside the UK. But Ive been in for the last 5years with my dad as his dependent and it doesnt really state that over 18 dependants should apply using SET F, just says they should apply separately. So does this mean I dont need to demonstrate the Life in the UK test in this case if using SET F? Appreciate your comments.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:43 pm

Guide SET(O) - to be used on or after 7 April 2010 wrote:If your only dependants are children under 18 and they do not qualify under the long residence rules, they may apply for indefinite leave to remain as a child of a person present and settled in the UK on form SET(F). Each child would have to apply and pay separately. Any child over 18 wanting to apply as your dependant would also have to apply and pay separately on SET(F).
KOL required.

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:27 pm

I may have already replied to this.
1.You need SET F forms
2.Can only apply by post
3.Need to pay higher fee
4.Need Life in UK test

Remember that you need to send additional documents from your father- all that he used for his own ILR, Support letter from him,proof of your and his residence,your current status-ie- whether working or studying, your bank statements+ most important- his proof of ILR ie his passport.

Hopefully you will see this before you send off your application.

best regards

Dgirl20
Newly Registered

Post by Dgirl20 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Gidoc,

Thank you so much for all your help so far with this, and all the information you supplied so far. Will get this done and hope for the best.

Many thanks again, very much apreciated.

rocky30189
Newly Registered

Post by rocky30189 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:38 am

hii Dgirl20 ...i have the same age situation as yours..i am in uk and my father is a british...and i m looking to get ILR , but so confused and scared. Can you pls let me kno how far has your work reached!? Thanks

sonya24

Post by sonya24 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:31 am

hi dgirl20
i don't think you have to fill up set F form and pay a fees over 1800 pounds that is totally different category it is for dependent relatives who are leading an independent life.you were here as your fathers dependent and you got futher leave to remain with him.if you are still living him and havent formed a independent life then you need to fill Set O form and pay 1095 pounds.i also got ilr i was on my mum's dependent visa when i came to uk i was under 18 but at the time of application i was 22 we applied under hsmp jr.we had to make two diffrent application and filled up two set O form.All you need to do is write a covering letter explaining them why you couldnt apply with your dad and tell them that you were his dependent and came to uk with him and attach a copy of dad's passport with all the visa pages and the ilr page.if you go university or college you can attach a proof of that aswell.hopefully you will be arite.
goodluck

Dgirl20
Newly Registered

Quick Update on ILR for Over 18 Dependent - Success Atlast

Post by Dgirl20 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:18 am

Hi,

Just a quick update to let you know how it all went.

Had an in person application and it went through successfully. (alot more smooth than I expected).

I used the SET (O) form, (thought i might as well give it a try). I wasnt asked for much when I went, just my application form, passport of me and my dad, and my Life in the Uk pass notification and also proof of address. Some checks were done and I was told about 5-6 minutes later that all was ok, and was also told my score on the test (i only failed 3 :) ).

Was then told to go an pay and come back after 1.5 - 2 hours or wait around if i wanted to. I coudnt content my joy so had to go for a walk and call my dad to let him know who was quite pleased himself). I then went round for a while and then came back some time later.

I was expecting to come and wait again for ages for my number to be called as i only came about an hour later, but to my surprise everything was ready to collect when I arrived, with my visa already stamped. I was asked to check if my name was spelt correctly, and also my DOB.

The whole process took about 2hours altogether. (IMPRESSIVE).

Nothing more was asked but I think it depends on what case worker deals with your case, though always carry as much documentation as possible.

I had the enough documentation handy; So you should have the below handy too;

- Any letters or certificates from school/college to show you have studied or are currently studying
- Evidence of what you are currently doing, whether working or studying
- Proof of address (e.g NHS card, bank statments or letters to your address,) and anything to show proof of adress and that you reside in the same home as your parent. (you might want some letters of your dad too to proof you reside in the same house).
- Your passports (you and your dads)
- Your life in the UK pass notification.
- Birth Certificate
- Letter from your parent(s) stating that you came here as their dependant and are still wholly dependent on them

Just want to thank you to gidoc, sumi, hippo and for everyone who supported me and advised with this process. It was much helpful and still very much appreciated.

All the best for those in my situation in the process of applying.

What Next - My 21st to look forward to in 3 weeks time, and wish I could invite you all to celebrate. :)

Dgirl.xx

sonya24

Post by sonya24 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:43 am

congrats what peo did you go to???

Dgirl20
Newly Registered

Post by Dgirl20 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:04 am

@ Sonya thanks.

Went to Solihull Birmingham.

bhayre
- thin ice -

right form

Post by bhayre » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:45 pm

hi

u need to apply using the set f form. i had a case like your recently and researched this issue. The form also attracts a fee of approx £1600.00. You need to ensure that you are able to evidence that you are still dependent upon ur father and that you have not established an independent life.

[Advertising removed by Moderator]

kind regards

bal hayre

dimsav

Re: right form

Post by dimsav » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:09 pm

bhayre wrote:hi

u need to apply using the set f form. i had a case like your recently and researched this issue. The form also attracts a fee of approx £1600.00. You need to ensure that you are able to evidence that you are still dependent upon ur father and that you have not established an independent life.

kind regards

bal hayre
You should better read the whole thread next time, and not only the first post.
The OP has already successfully received her ILR (btw, on SET(O) and not on SET(F) form, as you suggested).

Um Nofa
Newly Registered

Post by Um Nofa » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:07 am

Just to ask...how long have you lived in the UK? I'm asking cos I've got to apply for ILR for my 18 year old dependent stepdaughter and thought she needed to fill in SET F.

Has anyone filled in the SET F form with any success esp if sponsor is a stepparent? Any info would be of great help

Congrats on your ILR by the way

Rahs
Newly Registered

Re: Over 18 Dependent of Settled Person

Post by Rahs » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:24 pm

Hello,

Please help to clarify the following related issue (asking on behalf of a friend)

There are two dependants of a Tier 1 General Migrant Visa holder who got their visas when they were less than 18 years. The main applicant is due for ILR now and the children are over 18 years of age as well. The children have not lived more than 1 year in total since October 2010 when they got their visas. Basically they travel in and out of the country over the period of time. They did the last extension together with the main applicant in 2012. Please help to clarify the following
(i) is there any need for 2 years qualifying period for such a case like this or there is no qualifying period applicable?
(ii) what sort of forms will be relevant for the children to be fill if they could apply for ILR now set o or set F.
(iii) If they are not due for ILR now, what do they need to do as regards Visa extension.