ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is PR through EEA4 supposed to be back dated?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

humanist
Newly Registered

Is PR through EEA4 supposed to be back dated?

Post by humanist » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:19 am

Oct 2004 married my EEA national wife
Applied right after marriage and got 1 yr visa
Applied again in late 2005 and got 5 year visa
Oct 2009 completed 5 years of marriage
March 2010 sent EEA4 application
Sep 2010 got PR, dated Aug 2010

The PR is dated Aug 2010. I was expecting a back dated PR (Oct 2009, when I completed 5 years of marriage). This raises a question, when can I apply for the British Citizenship? Oct 2010 or August 2011?

troubled

Post by troubled » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:15 am

You qualify for citizenship in oct 2010 since you became a family member of eea national in oct 2004.You obtained PR automatically in oct,2009 though the confimation was in Aug,2010.You can apply for citizenship straight away provided you satisfy the other requirements like life in uk test,not being away for some number of days etc.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:52 am

If you want to rely on the earlier date though, remember to supply all the relevant evidence that you gained PR automatically then.

yusfaith

Post by yusfaith » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:29 pm

Hi troubled, I am a bit confuse about applying for BC. I married to me EEA wife in feb,2004 and did not my RC till 2006 till 2011. We were both exercising the treaty right since then. I do understand that I automatically acquired my PR in Feb 2009. I devorced in Sep, 2009 after acquired my PR. In march 2010, I applied for my confirmation of my PR which I received this month dated August. I went to national checking service for citizenship today and the lady was telling I have to wait another one year from the day I got my confirmation PR on my passport. I am very surprise that despite i have acquired the PR since Feb 2009.

what is your view on this, any advise will be appreciated.

Guerro
Member of Standing

Post by Guerro » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:17 pm

yusfaith wrote:Hi troubled, I am a bit confuse about applying for BC. I married to me EEA wife in feb,2004 and did not my RC till 2006 till 2011. We were both exercising the treaty right since then. I do understand that I automatically acquired my PR in Feb 2009. I devorced in Sep, 2009 after acquired my PR. In march 2010, I applied for my confirmation of my PR which I received this month dated August. I went to national checking service for citizenship today and the lady was telling I have to wait another one year from the day I got my confirmation PR on my passport. I am very surprise that despite i have acquired the PR since Feb 2009.

Applying for bc is an internal british matter which is not covered by the directive. I.e, you have to wait one year from the date of the pr as the woman told you in the advice centre. Otherwise you need to submit your wife's papers to apply in feb 2010.
Did you submit your wife's papers for the pr?

yusfaith

Post by yusfaith » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Guerro wrote:
yusfaith wrote:Hi troubled, I am a bit confuse about applying for BC. I married to me EEA wife in feb,2004 and did not my RC till 2006 till 2011. We were both exercising the treaty right since then. I do understand that I automatically acquired my PR in Feb 2009. I devorced in Sep, 2009 after acquired my PR. In march 2010, I applied for my confirmation of my PR which I received this month dated August. I went to national checking service for citizenship today and the lady was telling I have to wait another one year from the day I got my confirmation PR on my passport. I am very surprise that despite i have acquired the PR since Feb 2009.

Applying for bc is an internal british matter which is not covered by the directive. I.e, you have to wait one year from the date of the pr as the woman told you in the advice centre. Otherwise you need to submit your wife's papers to apply in feb 2010.
Did you submit your wife's papers for the pr?

Thanks Guerro for your response. Yes i did submitted her document to show that she was exercising her treaty right to the time of our divorce.

Guerro
Member of Standing

Post by Guerro » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:43 pm

Yusfaith, just wait one year from the date of issuance of the pr. Rushing will not change anything and might cost you the price of AN which is non refundable.
Don't worry, you will apply for citizenship under current rules ( pr + life in the uk). You will not go through the points system anyway. So, lay your back and let the Ho does the job for you :lol: