ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

E.U States Allowing Visa free Travel-E.U Fam&Residence c

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:09 am

Finland has positive news now.

The Lithuanian emabssy appears to still claim that a visa would be necessary.

reddiuk
Newly Registered

My wife need visa?

Post by reddiuk » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:28 pm

I hold a British Passport and My wife holds an indian passport with UK "Indefinite leave to remain" Visa stamped on her passport back in 2005.

Does she need a Visa to travel with me to EU countries for holiday?

Sorry , I am new to this forum and not gone through the posts fully if it's already answered?

Plum70
Diamond Member

Re: My wife need visa?

Post by Plum70 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:58 pm

reddiuk wrote:I hold a British Passport and My wife holds an indian passport with UK "Indefinite leave to remain" Visa stamped on her passport back in 2005.

Does she need a Visa to travel with me to EU countries for holiday?

Sorry , I am new to this forum and not gone through the posts fully if it's already answered?
The go through the posts. It's a very common question that has been answered myriad times.

denispearl

Post by denispearl » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:54 pm

Richard66 wrote:
I think we should point out that this thread is relevant to those who live in a EU member country but outside Schengen. As far as I am aware residence permits issued by a Schengen member can substitute for a visa when travelling to another Schengen country. Is this right or are there still problems too?
"A residence card is equivalent to a Schengen visa. If you have a Schengen country residence card you can travel anywhere and (as a family member) this includes Switzerland too, with or without the family member.
Was it correct??? '' without family member''??

denispearl

Post by denispearl » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:27 pm

Richard66 wrote:I would not generalise this way: my wife is Russian, but the UK treats her no better than they treat you.

At least Russians are not considered "dangerous", so no undue fuss was made when she came to Italy. As we are in Schengen, we are really only exiled from the UK and Ireland, whereas if we lived in the UK we would almost be prisoners.
Znaju situacjiju horosho :( sam sdes:(
I know this situation well as Im in the UK anr reaaaly want to be free in ''free'' Europe:(

denispearl

JOining EU national.

Post by denispearl » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:52 pm

Ok. Im not EU national and spouse of mine is. we both holds UK resedency stamps. I really want to go to Holland and Germany.
But Germany says ''spouse should accompany you during journey''.
Is it only the option?
Any chance to go to Holland or Germany without partner as you can do in Latvia (officially confirmed by Latwian embassy)?

What does '' joining your partner '' means. I mean i know general meaning, but what in details? would it be partner living in that country or just came for weekend, lets say, few days before you???

Can I just say that my wife is waiting for me somhere in Amsterdam??

Also if I travelling on my own back into the UK, would boarder control let me in ? Whould I need to prove somehow that my wife still in the UK??
How???
what is the situation culd possible accur???
Thanks for advices.
Denis

jotoia

Post by jotoia » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:46 am

hi all i am family member of EU national and want to travel to Poland with wife she is Polish do i need visa? Ive got UK residence card. thank you.

denispearl

Post by denispearl » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:50 am

jotoia wrote:hi all i am family member of EU national and want to travel to Poland with wife she is Polish do i need visa? Ive got UK residence card. thank you.
You will need a visa even if you travelling together and your spouse Polish national. Just checked withthe ambassy yesterday

jotoia

Post by jotoia » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:02 pm

You will need a visa even if you travelling together and your spouse Polish national. Just checked withthe ambassy yesterday[/quote]

thank you denispearl. just out of curiosity why is it like that? if i can travel to any other EU countries without visa, with my wife, why can't I to Poland?

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: JOining EU national.

Post by ca.funke » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:19 pm

denispearl wrote:Ok. Im not EU national and spouse of mine is. we both holds UK resedency stamps. I really want to go to Holland and Germany.
Is it only the option?
When travelling together, you will not need a visa.

However, some embassies don´t know that.

So my recommendation is: Find a Schengen-Embassy which doesn´t know that you don´t need a visa when travelling together. Apply with them, as the visa will be free of charge. Once you have any Schengen-visa, you can travel alone...
denispearl wrote:What does '' joining your partner '' means.
This is a mystery, and even the commission has different answers to that. Sometimes it´s interpreted as "joining the partner where he lives", sometimes it´s interpreted as "joining the partner where he currently is"... If you find an answer with proof as to what´s meant here, please let us know!!

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:21 pm

jotoia wrote:hi all i am family member of EU national and want to travel to Poland with wife she is Polish do i need visa? Ive got UK residence card. thank you.
Hi jotoia,

according to the law you do not need a visa.

But the Polish authorities still did not formally acknowledge this fact.

If you travel without a visa, it´ll end up being some sort of luck...

Good luck...
regards, Christian

denispearl

Re: JOining EU national.

Post by denispearl » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:44 pm

ca.funke wrote:
denispearl wrote:Ok. Im not EU national and spouse of mine is. we both holds UK resedency stamps. I really want to go to Holland and Germany.
Is it only the option?
When travelling together, you will not need a visa.

However, some embassies don´t know that.

So my recommendation is: Find a Schengen-Embassy which doesn´t know that you don´t need a visa when travelling together. Apply with them, as the visa will be free of charge. Once you have any Schengen-visa, you can travel alone...
denispearl wrote:What does '' joining your partner '' means.
This is a mystery, and even the commission has different answers to that. Sometimes it´s interpreted as "joining the partner where he lives", sometimes it´s interpreted as "joining the partner where he currently is"... If you find an answer with proof as to what´s meant here, please let us know!!
HI. well I know that getting the visa would be the easiest solutiona nd wouldnt mind doing that if not only one problem- i have got only 2 pages in my passport left and getting a new one could be quite tricky with Belarussian authorities, so Id rather avoid them as fire:)

Hawk269
Newly Registered

Travelling to Denmark on a UK residence permit

Post by Hawk269 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:12 am

After reading on the Royal danish consular service website

http://www.amblondon.um.dk/en/menu/Cons ... Nationals/

Please note that if you hold an EU/EEA Residence Card (in the UK a sticker in the passport entitled Residence Documentation) according to Article 5 of EU Directive 38/2004, you do not need a visa for travel to Denmark. The old style stamp preceding the EU Residence Documentation sticker is also accepted for visa free travel as long as it refers to the holder being a family member of an EU/EEA national exercising Treaty Rights.

I was under the impression that if I hold a UK residence card/permit I could travel alone or with my Danish spouse to Denmark without a Dk visa (according to my understand of above). However I called the Danish immigration and Visa section in Copenhagen and i was informed by an adviser that even though I have a UK residence card/permit and married to a Danish citizen I still would need a tourist visa to travel to Denmark, this is due to fact that i have a non-European Passport.

Is this correct?

denispearl

Re: Travelling to Denmark on a UK residence permit

Post by denispearl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:19 am

Hawk269 wrote:After reading on the Royal danish consular service website

http://www.amblondon.um.dk/en/menu/Cons ... Nationals/

Please note that if you hold an EU/EEA Residence Card (in the UK a sticker in the passport entitled Residence Documentation) according to Article 5 of EU Directive 38/2004, you do not need a visa for travel to Denmark. The old style stamp preceding the EU Residence Documentation sticker is also accepted for visa free travel as long as it refers to the holder being a family member of an EU/EEA national exercising Treaty Rights.

I was under the impression that if I hold a UK residence card/permit I could travel alone or with my Danish spouse to Denmark without a Dk visa (according to my understand of above). However I called the Danish immigration and Visa section in Copenhagen and i was informed by an adviser that even though I have a UK residence card/permit and married to a Danish citizen I still would need a tourist visa to travel to Denmark, this is due to fact that i have a non-European Passport.

Is this correct?
Not sure wether it due your passport, but in my case (Im not EU and wife is polish) Polish embassy did confirmed that I need a visa to go there. Strange, because if your spouse is not Poilish - you can go there without any.
hmm

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:13 am

The embassies do not check visas at the border, they only issue them abroad. The information on their webpage may have been made centrally by the relevant ministry. Authoriative answers would come from the member country's implementation of the Directive and the border police.

denispearl

Post by denispearl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:18 am

86ti wrote:The embassies do not check visas at the border, they only issue them abroad. The information on their webpage may have been made centrally by the relevant ministry. Authoriative answers would come from the member country's implementation of the Directive and the border police.
And how can I contact border police lets say of Spain???
Thanks

Hawk269
Newly Registered

Post by Hawk269 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 am

86ti wrote:The embassies do not check visas at the border, they only issue them abroad. The information on their webpage may have been made centrally by the relevant ministry. Authoriative answers would come from the member country's implementation of the Directive and the border police.
I did contact the the dept. of immigration and visa's in Denmark and they informed me that the UK is not a member of the schengen states (which is true), and I will need a visa even with a UK residence card, which in my mind contradicts Article 5 of EU Directive 38/2004 as stated on consular services website.

denispearl

Post by denispearl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:42 am

Hawk269 wrote:
I did contact the the dept. of immigration and visa's in Denmark and they informed me that the UK is not a member of the schengen states (which is true), and I will need a visa even with a UK residence card, which in my mind contradicts Article 5 of EU Directive 38/2004 as stated on consular services website.
I did called embassy of Latvia in London twice and always same answer - yes you can go to Latvia even without your partner and without visa. This is how it supposed to be!!!!
Why EU treating non eu family residents so badly by limiting theyr travel options. What if my wife work or I just need to be on my own somhere else for a few days????
Why is so bad for us????

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:53 am

Hawk269 wrote:
Do you have that in writing and did they actually understand that you have a residence card?

Hawk269
Newly Registered

Post by Hawk269 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:15 am

Do you have that in writing and did they actually understand that you have a residence card?
I called them so I don't have it in writing, i mentioned the UK residence card several times. The adviser responded by saying that it doesn't matter as long as i got a non-EEA passport I need a tourist visa to travel to Denmark.

denispearl

Post by denispearl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:23 am

Hawk269 wrote:
I called them so I don't have it in writing, i mentioned the UK residence card several times. The adviser responded by saying that it doesn't matter as long as i got a non-EEA passport I need a tourist visa to travel to Denmark.
But Ive just checked website of Denmark Embassy, which clearly states: you alloud even without a partner!!!
Whats is up?

Hawk269
Newly Registered

Post by Hawk269 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:55 am

denispearl wrote:
Hawk269 wrote:
But Ive just checked website of Denmark Embassy, which clearly states: you alloud even without a partner!!!
Whats is up?
Hence the reason for my confusion,

denispearl

Post by denispearl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:57 am

Hawk269 wrote:
denispearl wrote:
Hawk269 wrote:
Whats is up?
Hence the reason for my confusion,
All that I can suggest as is the same situation as with me and my Polish partner. Which means I cannot go to POland without visa even with wife, because she is Polish.

desi_parrot
Newly Registered

ho

Post by desi_parrot » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:57 am

well had same problem with uk family residence card.. was going to spain via barcelona . and they didnt let me go . through
and i had to come back to uk
and my wife was travelling with me as well
so better get a visa..
dont trust. any border force. or immigration officers..
always get a visa before going

desi_parrot
Newly Registered

Eu family member visa free travel in Europe..

Post by desi_parrot » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:17 am

well .. guys me and mrs living and working in the uk
i have RC valid till 2014 being a eu family member
in august 2010 we planned holiday in spain
i got a flight via frankfurt (germany)
when we landed at frankfurt airport .. border force refused to accept UK resident card of EU and didnt let us go to plane for spain .
they kept saying . UK is not in schengen.. i explain them every thing but they didnt seem to bother..
they didnt give me any paper evidence . that we have been refused. to go spain via germany being a eu family member .with valid resident card
. so next morning we had to travel back to UK.
EU laws.... well better to get visa before travel to avoid humilation .
thanks