ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NEW LAWS JULY 2011

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Gopaalan

Post by Gopaalan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:38 pm

I would've thought he was mentioning about the visa issued to students for working

samkma
Member of Standing

Post by samkma » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:17 pm

It is not fair on the coalition government to deny residence for migrants who work hard and contribute to the economy.
“Impossible is just an opinion.”
.......Paulo Coelho

noor1034
BANNED

Post by noor1034 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:35 pm

samkma wrote:It is not fair on the coalition government to deny residence for migrants who work hard and contribute to the economy.
Agree. We are working so hard and paying taxes. I think soon things will clear.

dimsav

Post by dimsav » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:27 pm

noor1034 wrote:
samkma wrote:It is not fair on the coalition government to deny residence for migrants who work hard and contribute to the economy.
Cannot agree more -- just there are some others on the top who, unfortunately, think differently, like today on BBC:

"A top government adviser says ministers may need to stop workers bringing families to meet an immigration cap. ..." -- doesn't sound promising.

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:30 pm

noor1034 wrote:
British Citizenship is a privilege, not a right.

However apply new rules on those already in the system, is not fair.

Listening today's speach, I think Mr Green is trying to put some strick restrictions on settlement. He also touched high number of student visas issued and T1 extensions for takeaway owners etc. So a lot more comming! The question is WHEN?

samkma
Member of Standing

Post by samkma » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:41 pm

dimsav wrote:
noor1034 wrote:
Cannot agree more -- just there are some others on the top who, unfortunately, think differently, like today on BBC:

"A top government adviser says ministers may need to stop workers bringing families to meet an immigration cap. ..." -- doesn't sound promising.
Looks like UK is following the Gulf Kingdoms of the Middle East, where there are restrictions on dependent visa. mmm... I thought we live in a free society! Big Society = Narrow minded society.
.......Paulo Coelho

shivkrshukla

What instead of PC?

Post by shivkrshukla » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:09 pm

Govt is going to look at labor proposed PC! having seen the glimpse present govts policies its more likely that it would be worse than PC. most of the people who came to UK leaving their jobs/businesses/ settled life in the hope that they will get right to live and work here would certainly be disappointed. All though not most but some of my friend who are here on work permit/tier 1 or hsmp/tier 2 were eagerly waiting for their ILR. Some of them are even exploited by their employers because they do not have an ILR and are hence vulnerable.

dimsav

Government plans reviews of immigration system

Post by dimsav » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:29 pm

HO has announced that Government plans reviews of immigration system, with accompanying HO report on 'The migrant journey'.

So, some big news are coming...

samkma
Member of Standing

Re: What instead of PC?

Post by samkma » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:01 pm

shivkrshukla wrote:Govt is going to look at labor proposed PC! having seen the glimpse present govts policies its more likely that it would be worse than PC. most of the people who came to UK leaving their jobs/businesses/ settled life in the hope that they will get right to live and work here would certainly be disappointed. All though not most but some of my friend who are here on work permit/tier 1 or hsmp/tier 2 were eagerly waiting for their ILR. Some of them are even exploited by their employers because they do not have an ILR and are hence vulnerable.
I agree to this as I have been a victim to this exploitation by UK employers. All who voted the Tories did so for a 'change'! and if any of you did vote tories, here is the change! LoL
.......Paulo Coelho

docmac80
Newly Registered

Latest full speech from Damien Green

Post by docmac80 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:01 pm

Latest full speech from Damien Green:

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-cent ... mmigration

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:10 pm

Very interesting read..thanks for the link

dimsav

Re: Latest full speech from Damien Green

Post by dimsav » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:30 pm

docmac80 wrote:Latest full speech from Damien Green:
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-cent ... mmigration
In my opinion, Green in his speech makes an intentional analogy with the 80's. In that time, it was initially announced in Thatcher's programme, see [8. Immigration], that "First, there must be an immediate reduction in immigration. Second, there must be a clearly defined limit to the numbers of those to be allowed into this country. ... This [the cut] can be done by greater administrative rigour and by reviewing some of the categories of those who are at present allowed to settle here. In addition, there must be firm action against illegal immigrants and those who overstay their permits." Then, after coming Thatcher to power in 1979, very quickly "a new nationality law, as well as new restrictions on the entry of dependants, husbands and fiancés" were introduced, see here, that effectively cut immigration numbers down by orders of magnitude.

Well, today is not the 80's but I am getting a bit frightened by such a clearly laid out parallel in Green's speech...

GSOtodd

Post by GSOtodd » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:33 pm

I doubt that a cap on settlement will be put in place because that would cause more damage than is worth. For instance, NO BODY would move here because there would be no guarantees. Who would give up a good paying job to move here if nothing was certain. BUT you can expect some other changes. For example, giving up citizenship in home countries. This could very well cause a BIG drop in the number of people willing to stay in the UK.

Also, permission to remain could (and I have a feeling this will be the case), depend on salary. Lets face it, people moving here to work and manage take aways and on production lines are not people who contribute over the long term.

There are just too many ways besides introducing a cap that would make a person think twice about staying here.
Andy

samkma
Member of Standing

Post by samkma » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:32 am

GSOtodd wrote:I doubt that a cap on settlement will be put in place because that would cause more damage than is worth. For instance, NO BODY would move here because there would be no guarantees. Who would give up a good paying job to move here if nothing was certain. BUT you can expect some other changes. For example, giving up citizenship in home countries. This could very well cause a BIG drop in the number of people willing to stay in the UK.

Also, permission to remain could (and I have a feeling this will be the case), depend on salary. Lets face it, people moving here to work and manage take aways and on production lines are not people who contribute over the long term.

There are just too many ways besides introducing a cap that would make a person think twice about staying here.
How did you come to this conclusion?
.......Paulo Coelho

jayaram727
Newly Registered

ILR for Tier 2 Migrant

Post by jayaram727 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:51 am

Hi All,

I have gonethrough all the pages in this thread and is looking very informative. Thanks for everybody who has been sharing real good information.

I have been looking answers for my situation, not sure where i can exactly find it.

Here are details...

I came to UK on 26th July, 2006 on Workpermit (ICT) and later i transferred my visa to Tier 2 (General) for a different employer in March 2009.

Am i eligible to apply for ILR on current rules before the July 2011 new rules being effective?

I understand after 4 years and 11 months you can technically apply for ILR if you are on workpermit/tier2. If this is true, i can apply for ILR on 28th, 29th and 30th of June, 2011.

Could experts please guide me on this situation?

Thanks a lot.

psdesai
BANNED

Re: What instead of PC?

Post by psdesai » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:37 pm

shivkrshukla wrote:Govt is going to look at labor proposed PC! having seen the glimpse present govts policies its more likely that it would be worse than PC. most of the people who came to UK leaving their jobs/businesses/ settled life in the hope that they will get right to live and work here would certainly be disappointed. All though not most but some of my friend who are here on work permit/tier 1 or hsmp/tier 2 were eagerly waiting for their ILR. Some of them are even exploited by their employers because they do not have an ILR and are hence vulnerable.
If PC is delayed or scrapped all together and the new "worse" scheme comes in any idea it will commence from the July 2010 or there not much time left and it will be delayed for few months?

Pierrot95

Re: ILR for Tier 2 Migrant

Post by Pierrot95 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:44 pm

jayaram727 wrote:Am i eligible to apply for ILR on current rules before the July 2011 new rules being effective?
If we go by the transitional arrangements set by the previous government, yes. All applications received before the start date of the new rules will be considered under current rules.
Unfortunately, these transitional arrangements and the commitment to introduce these new rules in July 2011 are not part of the law. The new government has not yet made any announcement regarding the issue. So anything can happen. The new rules can be introduced before July, after July, with the same or different transitional arrangements. They can even be just ignored.

====

dimsav

Earned citizenship scraped!

Post by dimsav » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:10 pm

Theresa May in her Government announcement on settlement reforms stated that `Earned citizenship concerned the path to settlement and British citizenship, and was planned to come into force in July 2011. It will now not be introduced. ...We will make further announcements [on settlement reform] in due course. In the interim, the current rules and requirements for obtaining settlement and citizenship will remain in place.'

I think that this topic can now be closed :-) Whatever comes instead should be discussed in different threads, e.g. here.