ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can infant travel without passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ash321

Can infant travel without passport

Post by ash321 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:55 pm

Hello, Friends, I just want to ask u on behalf of my friend.

She is pregnant and want to travel to India (home country) after giving birth of child as soon as possible. she is due in couple of days. can she travel without her new born's passport? if yes how? She is on tier-1 migrant but don''t want to stay here more and never want to comeback again.
any suggestions and help.
Regards,

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:32 pm

The child will need to have it's own passport.

No one can travel without ID.

M.

(Edited to remove advice about including child on parent's passport - it's no longer allowed in India: http://passport.gov.in/cpv/faq.htm)

ash321

Post by ash321 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:49 pm

Thanks for your reply,
so someone told me that if u have birth certificate of child you can travel to your home country. is not true ya?

Regards,

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:15 pm

ash321 wrote:Thanks for your reply,
so someone told me that if u have birth certificate of child you can travel to your home country. is not true ya?

Regards,
AFAIK you require a passport for international travel - AirIndia's website would seem to confirm that:

http://home.airindia.in/SBCMS/Webpages/ ... spx?MID=27
For international travel, passengers require to be in possession of valid passport, valid visa and/or entry permits and health certificates as required.
Googling revealed stories from brits abroad who have been able to travel home without their passport - but only when they've had the assitance of the consular staff and when they've lost their passports.

Why is your friend unwilling to wait for the period of time it'll take to acquire the passport?

M.

ash321

Post by ash321 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:33 pm

Thank you for clear answer, Actually they have very difficult time here and can't stay without job. I came to know that it will take two week to get the passport from Indian consulate. so I will advise her to stay for passport.

Thanks again.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:37 pm

ash321 wrote:Thank you for clear answer, Actually they have very difficult time here and can't stay without job. I came to know that it will take two week to get the passport from Indian consulate. so I will advise her to stay for passport.

Thanks again.
I'd personally be very concerned about the health of both mother and baby during a long flight if they are un-able/willing to stay for just 2 weeks after the birth.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/travel/flybabyexpert/
A newborn can fly at a week old if it's absolutely necessary, but it's better to wait until he's at least four to six weeks if you can.
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/features/bab ... 003831.htm
However, there are some instances where babies are not allowed to fly. Airlines do not take infants under 48-hours-old, and they only take babies up to a week old with a doctor's note.
Mothers who have given birth in the last 48 hours are also not allowed to fly, says Tony Cane, a spokesman for British Airways (BA) - recently voted the most parent-friendly airline by the children's charity Tommy's.

'Likewise we will not take a new mother who has had a Caesarean section until at least 10 days after the birth.'
Think of it this way ... if things are so bad that they can't wait for 2 weeks after the birth ... then what's going to happen if the baby becomes over due by that same period? Or there are complications and mum/baby need to stay in hospital?

I think they need a backup plan here!

I've personally gained the impression that the one day a baby won't arrive is the due date!