ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR and immigration control

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kamalin10

ILR and immigration control

Post by kamalin10 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:03 am

Hey guys

Can anybody explain to me why ILR holders still have to fill up the Landing Card on the arrival? If they are not subject to immigration control then what’s the purpose?

I have asked the officer at Heathrow when arrived few days ago from short holidays abroad and she wasn’t able to tell me. I told her that Home Office letter says i am no longer subject to immigration control YET i am been "controlled" ...all she said “no, you are still have to do itâ€

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:50 pm

Only actual British, EU and Swiss nationals/passport holders are not required to fill in landing cards.

Although ILR means "not subject to immigration controls" it stll does not mean you have the same rights as British/EU passport holders.

For example, if you stay outside the UK for more than 2 years you may loose your ILR and be subject to standard immigration controls.

Markie

Re: ILR and immigration control

Post by Markie » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:44 pm

still required...

[quote="kamalin10"]Hey guys

Can anybody explain to me why ILR holders still have to fill up the Landing Card on the arrival? If they are not subject to immigration control then what’s the purpose?

I have asked the officer at Heathrow when arrived few days ago from short holidays abroad and she wasn’t able to tell me. I told her that Home Office letter says i am no longer subject to immigration control YET i am been "controlled" ...all she said “no, you are still have to do itâ€

kamalin10

Post by kamalin10 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:55 pm

Backer wrote:Only actual British, EU and Swiss nationals/passport holders are not required to fill in landing cards.

Although ILR means "not subject to immigration controls" it stll does not mean you have the same rights as British/EU passport holders.

For example, if you stay outside the UK for more than 2 years you may loose your ILR and be subject to standard immigration controls.
I might not have the same rights to enter another country as EU nationals but in the UK i am not a subject to such a control which IS the same right as any other UK citizen.

I was clearly no outside the UK for longer than 2 years and that’s the only thing that they need to know.
I still don’t understand this. In other countries there are no landing cards, for example, so what do they do then?

kamalin10

Re: ILR and immigration control

Post by kamalin10 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:57 pm

Markie wrote:still required...

Well i kinda got that :D question is WHY? Home Office clearly states that ILR holders are NOT subject to immigration control yet they are not consistent in this particular requirement with landing card.

UK border is one of the places of such a control if not the only one for some other nationals with ILR

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:22 pm

You are still subject to examination

10A. Where a person has arrived in the United Kingdom with leave to enter or remain which is in force but which was given to him before his arrival he may be examined by an Immigration Officer under paragraph 2A of Schedule 2 to the Immigration Act 1971. An Immigration Officer examining a person under paragraph 2A may suspend that person's leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom until the examination is completed.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... les/part1/

kamalin10

Post by kamalin10 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:17 am

PaperPusher wrote:You are still subject to examination

10A. Where a person has arrived in the United Kingdom with leave to enter or remain which is in force but which was given to him before his arrival he may be examined by an Immigration Officer under paragraph 2A of Schedule 2 to the Immigration Act 1971. An Immigration Officer examining a person under paragraph 2A may suspend that person's leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom until the examination is completed.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... les/part1/
That’s exactly MAY BE! Not WILL BE which landing card is. it is not an examination, it is part of immigration control.

ok, check the visa, scan the passport and that’s it. What else do they need to know after 10 days holidays? that I might have quit my job – I’m free to do so! That I don’t have permanent address in the UK – I am free in this too. They have most of this information on their screens already so what is the purpose? :evil:

mteja

Post by mteja » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:15 pm

@Kamalin10, i totally agree with you on above. I think best is just to wait the 360days to get your full british passport then you are done and dusted with this rules and controls etc :lol:
togetherness as one

kamalin10

Post by kamalin10 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:35 pm

mteja

Thanks :D i use IRIS most of the time but not last time and i prepared landing card “just in caseâ€

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:14 pm

kamalin10 - According to your logic even people with valid Visas do not need a landing card. Their Visa would be stamped on their passport so what additional and relevant information will be on the landing card?

I think (but am not sure) that everyone who does not have a UK/EU passport needs to fill in a landing card.

BTW - I think it is the same in the US whether you have a green card (equivalent of British ILR) or not . . .

kamalin10

Post by kamalin10 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:01 pm

it is not MY logic :D it is the statement of Home Office that ILR holders are NOT subject to immigration control. Landing card IS immigration control and VERY detail one i have to say. WHY HO contradicts itself? anyone can answer? :D

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:09 pm

Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_Card

You might argue this has nothing to do with immigration controls

kamalin10

Post by kamalin10 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:49 pm

Oh for the love of god don’t ever quote this Wikipedia rubbish :shock: That website hasn’t got even new version of the card and can be updated any time by anybody.

I’m not arguing whether or not landing card has anything to do with immigration. It definitely HAS! But ILR holders ARE NOT subject to such a control!!! :mrgreen: