ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marry in Chile or fiance visa & wedding in UK??

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lizziet

Marry in Chile or fiance visa & wedding in UK??

Post by lizziet » Sat May 29, 2010 10:59 am

Hi there
My boyfriend and I need to decide which option to take:
1. getting married first in Chile and then applying for a spouse visa for my husband to come and live in UK.
2. applying for a fiance visa for him to come to UK to get married.

Can anyone tell me pros and cons of these, e.g. is one more likely to succeed than the other, will either of them take longer to get (this is important as we will be apart while waiting).
Thanks very much
Lizzie

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat May 29, 2010 3:00 pm

The time scale for issuing the visa should be the same. The spouse visa is the cheaper option if you are thinking of visiting Chile. If you apply for a fiance visa you will then have to apply for Further Leave to Remain - FLR(M) after the marriage in the UK and your husband will be unable to work legally until he is granted FLR. If you apply for FLR by post for a lower visa fee you may be waiting for the application to be processed for 3-4 months.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sat May 29, 2010 5:09 pm

If I was in your shoes I would get married in Chile and then call your spouse over. Like Casa has already stated there is not much difference in both, they work out more or a less teh same.

The only advantage of a sposue is that your hubby can work from day 1 on arrival whereas fiance it will be minimum 6 months after arrival.

The other thing you need to decide between yourselves whether your preference is to get married in Uk or Chile.You only can decide that

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sat May 29, 2010 5:52 pm

batleykhan wrote:If I was in your shoes I would get married in Chile and then call your spouse over. Like Casa has already stated there is not much difference in both, they work out more or a less teh same.

The only advantage of a sposue is that your hubby can work from day 1 on arrival whereas fiance it will be minimum 6 months after arrival.
The other thing you need to decide between yourselves whether your preference is to get married in Uk or Chile.You only can decide that
That's rubbish as you don't need to wait for the fiance visa to expire before applying for FLR. If you planned it right your fiance could be able to work in just over three weeks. You'd have to arrange the wedding after he was in the UK 8 days, then get married after a further 15 days, then have a premium appointment the following day.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sat May 29, 2010 6:39 pm

batleykhan wrote:If I was in your shoes I would get married in Chile and then call your spouse over. Like Casa has already stated there is not much difference in both, they work out more or a less teh same.

Sorry should have read

The only advantage of a sposue is that your hubby can work from day 1 on arrival whereas fiance it will be minimum 6 months after arrival
"or earlier if you are lucky and manage to obtain FLR"

lizziet

Post by lizziet » Sun May 30, 2010 4:01 pm

Thanks very much everyone - this is so helpful.
My boyfriend has to leave the UK immediately as he was refused a student visa extension. As his first application was "invalid" (HO said his payment didn't going through) his second application was sent in "out of time" and technically he is an overstayer.
My question is: In view of this, do you think he will be more likely to be granted a spouse visa than a fiance visa? (Maybe it would show we are more serious if already married!) I know the situation may mean we get refused and have to appeal. But it is a genuine relationship so we have lots of evidence...

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun May 30, 2010 4:20 pm

lizziet wrote:Thanks very much everyone - this is so helpful.
My boyfriend has to leave the UK immediately as he was refused a student visa extension. As his first application was "invalid" (HO said his payment didn't going through) his second application was sent in "out of time" and technically he is an overstayer.
My question is: In view of this, do you think he will be more likely to be granted a spouse visa than a fiance visa? (Maybe it would show we are more serious if already married!) I know the situation may mean we get refused and have to appeal. But it is a genuine relationship so we have lots of evidence...
Chances of being granted the fiance and spouse visa are the same. It's really just what you prefer based on what the others have said.
I tell it like it is.

lizziet

Post by lizziet » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:40 am

Hi there. I was wondering whether I can visit my husband in Chile while we are waiting for his spouse visa? We got married in July and he had his appointment to put in the papers on 26th August. We have no idea how long it will take, they said around 6-8 weeks but he was refused a visa and told to leave the UK in June, so it may take longer and I miss him terribly!
Is it OK for me to go out of the country and should I let the Home Office know?
Thanks

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:29 pm

lizziet wrote:Hi there. I was wondering whether I can visit my husband in Chile while we are waiting for his spouse visa? We got married in July and he had his appointment to put in the papers on 26th August. We have no idea how long it will take, they said around 6-8 weeks but he was refused a visa and told to leave the UK in June, so it may take longer and I miss him terribly!
Is it OK for me to go out of the country and should I let the Home Office know?
Thanks
Yes it's perfectly fine. No you don't need to notify anyone.
I tell it like it is.

lizziet

Post by lizziet » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:31 pm

Thanks ElenaW - but what if they try to contact me to ask something about the application? Or is that unlikely?
Partner returned to own country 20/06/2010
Got married 17/07/2010
Appointment to submit docs 26/08/2010
E-mail from consulate pending further enquiries 22/09/2010
E-mail from consulate - visa has been issued!! 18/10/2010

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:50 pm

lizziet wrote:Thanks ElenaW - but what if they try to contact me to ask something about the application? Or is that unlikely?
Unlikely.
I tell it like it is.

lizziet

Post by lizziet » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:42 pm

OK, than ks
Got married 17/07/2010

lizziet

Post by lizziet » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:00 am

Hi everyone. OK, my husband has had an e-mail from NY consulate saying that they are making further enquiries and will make a decision as soon as possible. Now I'm panicking - is this a bad sign or just standard procedure because he was refused a student visa in UK in May and told to leave?
I'm also worrying because we were together for a year in the UK but we didn't live together - will that raise suspicions that we are not a genuine couple?
Please help - I'm a nervous wreck at the moment!!!
Got married 17/07/2010

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:58 am

lizziet wrote:Hi everyone. OK, my husband has had an e-mail from NY consulate saying that they are making further enquiries and will make a decision as soon as possible. Now I'm panicking - is this a bad sign or just standard procedure because he was refused a student visa in UK in May and told to leave?
I'm also worrying because we were together for a year in the UK but we didn't live together - will that raise suspicions that we are not a genuine couple?
Please help - I'm a nervous wreck at the moment!!!
It's standard procedure if he's been refused before. They do a few checks and it takes longer. Don't be nervous. Keep busy with other things is my advice.
I tell it like it is.

lizziet

Post by lizziet » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:57 pm

OK, thank you Elena - I feel a bit less worried now. Will try not to think about it every waking second!!!
Got married 17/07/2010