ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Early application for Tier 1 extension

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

*FC*
Member of Standing

Early application for Tier 1 extension

Post by *FC* » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:22 pm

sjidh wrote:Hi,

I am on Tier1 visa and my visa expires in October 2011.

Currently I am doing a contract job with Limited company, so I want to know how the earning section needs to be shown when applying.

Thanks!
However you prove the salary requirements, please note that you will NOT get the extension from October 2011. The extension will be given for 2/3 years from the DATE OF APPLICATION.

Just a note of caution...

FC

mtuckersa
Member of Standing

Re: Tier1 Visa extension

Post by mtuckersa » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:32 pm

*FC* wrote:
sjidh wrote:Hi,

I am on Tier1 visa and my visa expires in October 2011.

Currently I am doing a contract job with Limited company, so I want to know how the earning section needs to be shown when applying.

Thanks!
However you prove the salary requirements, please note that you will NOT get the extension from October 2011. The extension will be given for 2/3 years from the DATE OF APPLICATION.

Just a note of caution...

FC
FC you say the extension will be given from the DATE of APPLICATION, you say that with what sounds like 100% certainty. Has something changed that they now give extensions ONLY from the date of applications and NOT the visa expiry date.

Can you elaborate? Is there some new development?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:39 pm

I believe the OP is enquiring not for the purpose of applying for extension early, but to ensure that he/she knows what documentary evidence(s) would be needed at the time of extension (near the time of expiry of current leave in Oct '11).

For early applications, reading this post (from *FC*) and this topic should help.

For applications made near to the time of expiry of current leave, the period of new leave is such that the applicant completes 5 years stay in the UK without the need for another extension.

regards

segs2tier1

Post by segs2tier1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:01 pm

Thanks for posting all the useful links.

After reading through the posts, I find lots of conflicting information about how early you can apply for extension. Is 6 months OK? Is 5 Ok? etc.

I called the Home Office this morning and enquired about Tier 1 extensions and I was told 28 days before your current leave expires other wise you will lose your remaining leave and it not adding up to a total of 5 years and yet I know applicants who have applied 3 months in advance and have not had any problems.

There is an email by the Home Office in one of the posts that says that you will not be penalised if your application is earlier than the 28 days recommended period. Conflicting with what I was told this morning.

So, my questions is - Can you apply early and if yes, how early?

Thanks in advance.

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Apologies to the OP and moderators for hijacking his thread with not-so-directly related information.

Well, the case worker I went to for my PEO application informed me that all PEO's were given clear instructions to give extension to stay from the DATE OF APPLICATION for EARLY applications and when asked the definition of early I wasn't given a clear reply. :roll:

I am planning to write to the Home office anyways, but this post is just to clear the air to the other posters on this thread.

FC

alladin

Post by alladin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:40 pm

segs2tier1 wrote:Thanks for posting all the useful links.

After reading through the posts, I find lots of conflicting information about how early you can apply for extension. Is 6 months OK? Is 5 Ok? etc.

I called the Home Office this morning and enquired about Tier 1 extensions and I was told 28 days before your current leave expires other wise you will lose your remaining leave and it not adding up to a total of 5 years and yet I know applicants who have applied 3 months in advance and have not had any problems.

There is an email by the Home Office in one of the posts that says that you will not be penalised if your application is earlier than the 28 days recommended period. Conflicting with what I was told this morning.

So, my questions is - Can you apply early and if yes, how early?

Thanks in advance.

I applied about 5 months earlier (on Oct 2009 when my hsmp visa was expiring on April 2010). And my visa started from the original expiry, not
from Oct,2009.

I showed some reason like job contract ended and new employers asking for valid visa, though the PEO didn't ask me any explanation for early application.

If you search in the posts, majority has got the visa from expiry of the previous hsmp/tier 1 visas.

HTH,
alladin

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:42 pm

alladin wrote: I showed some reason like job contract ended and new employers asking for valid visa,
No wonder UKBA is taking deem view now.

alladin

Post by alladin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:49 pm

gotcha wrote:
alladin wrote: I showed some reason like job contract ended and new employers asking for valid visa,
No wonder UKBA is taking deem view now.
Well, it was a valid reason for me as my contract ended and new employers were reluctant to take me in because of my visa validity.

Anyways, the PEO officer was not interested in any of tht and didn't ask anything other than the required documents.

cheers,
alladin

email257525
BANNED

Hi

Post by email257525 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:51 pm

Yes, You can apply as early as you want with some valid reasons, But then It depends your new visa starts from the expiry date of previous visa OR start from the date of application, Its all in HO s Hands.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Though there are people with genuine reasons to apply for an early extension, there are also a few who apply early thinking that the rules might change and better get the extension when they still qualify. Maybe the UKBA has realised this and stopped stamping from the expiry of current visa when the application is too early.

I have some doubts regarding the 'stamping from the date of application' because by the time the case worker starts looking at the case, it would be atleast a couple of weeks (postal applications) from the date of application and I read somewhere that they never back date the visa. So I think the visa would be valid from the date he issues the visa rather than the date of application and in either case the applicant might not get the visa to complete the 5 years. IMO...

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:30 pm

aruni4470, I believe *FC* meant "time of application" rather than "date of application".

I tend to agree with you regarding why UKBA may have changed their policy on early applications. A loophole in the system that PBS applicants have been exploiting for quite some time without UKBA realizing it. Looks like they may have finally woken up.

IMHO ....

regards

mtuckersa
Member of Standing

Post by mtuckersa » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:19 pm

Yeah i believe this loophole has been closed, too many people taking advantage of this and 'the message' has been put 'out there' to start issuing visas from the date the application is accessed/approved.

I entered the UK 3 weeks after I got my Tier 1 visa so some people may have a little bit of room to apply earlier. I reckon I could apply the 28 days before + 1.5 weeks(cos I entered UK 19 days after Tier 1 visa) + the time it takes before the actual application is accessed say 2 weeks.

So in my case I could apply say 2 months before the visa expires, so even if they stamp it from the 'date its approved' it will still give me 5 years total.

The lesson here for NEW applicants is to get into the UK ASAP from when they get their Tier 1 visa, as in like 1 week....if possible. Leaves room for earlier applications later.

My Tier 1 expires in August 2011 and wanted to apply before April 2011 before they start fiddling with the rules again. And many will say but they only applying those cap limits to NEW applications but hey these guys can change the rules anytime they want so best to get the application in when you can unless you are damn sure you will get in.

Now my question is to wait till June and apply or go for March before rules changes again. In the meantime I am looking at just getting a higher paid job so that regardless of what they fiddle with I still have the points. I work up near Sheffield and salaries are like 15-25k less than say in London, so looking at taking a job that pushes me up 3 bands in the 'Earning criteria' although the cost of living in London, rent, childminding will mean I actually wont be earning much more but nonetheless its the only way for me to beat the points system.

They really need to relook at the London weighting cos its so skewed, and people like us living up north get raw end of the stick in terms of 'earning criteria'

Just my 2cents worth....

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:11 am

Apologies if I caused a confusion/stir, but my inperson was appointment was only last Tuesday and the case worker informed me that they have very recently received instructions about the new date of issue.

aruni: Thanks for spotting that!! I made that statement since my appointment was in-person premium appointment. :)

FC

push

Post by push » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:59 pm

Not sure if the loophole has been plugged now but Early Extensions were always a bit of a grey area as how early is really early is a big unknown. I mean what would stop people from applying for an extension right on the day they enter UK for the first time?
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

jimmymcad
Member of Standing

hello !!

Post by jimmymcad » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:22 pm

I applied 5 months earlier and got the visa stamped from the original date of expiry. I was made redundant and employers were reluctant to give me any job because of only 5 month visa remaining. If this help any one..

*FC*
Member of Standing

Re: hello !!

Post by *FC* » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:31 am

jimmymcad wrote:I applied 5 months earlier and got the visa stamped from the original date of expiry. I was made redundant and employers were reluctant to give me any job because of only 5 month visa remaining. If this help any one..
That's interesting to hear. Can you please let us know your timelines, date of application etc?

FC

jimmymcad
Member of Standing

hello FC

Post by jimmymcad » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:24 am

Yes, but i applied an year ago, My timelines were:-

Sep 2007 - Sep 2009 (HSMP - 2 years)
April 2009 :- Made redundant and have applied in the same month.

Got extension from
Sep 2009 - Sep 2012 (Tier1 - 3 years)

I was always in doubt to apply early, because i heard the same stories that i might not get the extension from the date it got expired, but when i lost my job and I had no choice but to apply as i quoted agencies were most interested in my FLR. That was a tough time but then it passed eventually. I got the FLR as per requirement :)

I also had the fear of getting the visa extended from the date of application they reviewed, but it was OK than not to get job due to this.

Hope it helps.
Last edited by jimmymcad on Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmymcad
Member of Standing

Also

Post by jimmymcad » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:28 am

Also, I talked to HO about my situation, but they said we were not aware if you could apply early. "It needs to be only 1 month early as far as we know", they said.

push

Re: hello FC

Post by push » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:51 pm

jimmymcad wrote:Yes, but i applied an year ago, My timelines were:-

Sep 2007 - Sep 2009 (HSMP - 2 years)
April 2009 :- Made redundant and have applied in the same month.

Got extension from
Sep 2009 - Sep 2012 (Tier1 - 3 years)

I was always in doubt to apply early, because i heard the same stories that i might not get the extension from the date it got expired, but when i lost my job and I had no choice but to apply as i quoted agencies were most interested in my FLR. That was a tough time but then it passed eventually. I got the FLR as per requirement :)

I also had the fear of getting the visa extended from the date of application they reviewed, but it was OK than not to get job due to this.

Hope it helps.
Things seem to have changed since then.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

jimmymcad
Member of Standing

Post by jimmymcad » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:18 pm

Agreed....

msharma99
Newly Registered

Post by msharma99 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:39 pm

Ok.. I've been keep watching this forum and just would like to share my experience.
Just to cut the crap, you may apply for extension anytime as soon as you qualify for it. Its my own experience, i got it 10 months earlier than my expiry date. So, no problem about it.
Secondly, how much extension you should get when you apply early extension?....
Answer to this question is: It actually depends on PEO, i've heard many got extension for remaining time which they require to complete there 5 years, some of them got from date of application.....but i got it for 3 years from my date of application..... even my inital Teir-1 was for 3 years................. ...What documents wyou require, if anyone needs any assistance....PM me.

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:56 pm

msharma99 wrote:.but i got it for 3 years from my date of application..... even my inital Teir-1 was for 3 years
Looks like UKBA are not sure at all what they are doing.

On their website, they clearly state that:

If we approve your extension application, you will be able to continue living and working in the UK for a maximum period of three years (or two years if you are currently a Tier 1 (General) migrant whose current permission to stay was granted before 6 April 2010).

Source:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... gyourstay/

msharma99
Newly Registered

Post by msharma99 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:47 pm

True...it depends on whos looking your application...isin't?

feigoronin

Post by feigoronin » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:13 pm

Hello Friends,
I have been watching this thread for sometime, however could not come across as concrete view on how early one can apply for extension. My current Tier-1 expires in May 2011. Can I apply for extension now? Has anyone made extension application before 5-6 months of visa expiry, in recent weeks?

Thanks.

T1_Mainframe

Post by T1_Mainframe » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:05 pm

Forget word/term early. You can apply whenever you meet the criteria. However, visa/extension start date is always the date of issue.

no more question of early extenion please.