ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET(M) Form

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Muz
Newly Registered

SET(M) Form

Post by Muz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi,

I have an appointment at the Home Office tomorrow and I am trying to find the SET(M) form online with no luick.

Can some one please guide me to the right form. I have all the documents in order and just need to fill up the form.

I will appreciate your help.

Thanks

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:50 pm

UKBA website. Type SET(M) into the search box.
If you haven't been able to find the form, how do you know you have all the documents required?

Muz
Newly Registered

SET(M) form

Post by Muz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi Casa,

I have tried doing that it gives me an online version of the form in an editable pdf that has to be submitted on the internet.

I have checked the guidance and got all the documents. I could have got the ILR 2 years ago but I was not aware of the need for Life in the UK test. I have passed the test and have all the documents i.e.

1. Financials
2. Mortgage Docs
3. Proof of Cohabitation
4. Tax Returns

plus we have a 3 yr old child.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:32 pm

Muz, I can see what your problem is. The website now offers an online SET(M) application. At present the server appears to be down to enable download of the normal form. Try later and I'll also check it for you, unless someone else comes to the rescue first.

Muz
Newly Registered

SET(M) Form

Post by Muz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:45 pm

Thanks for your reply Casa.

I have managed to find a link through google. It links to a SET(M) form however I am not sure if it is the correct version or if it has been updated. I do not want to loose my fee and then be told it is the wrong form.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... 420091.pdf

The file says version 07/2010

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:51 pm

I believe there's been a recent update to the form, so I can't confirm that this is still valid.
I haven't given up on you...I'm still doing my best to find out what's going on with the site.

Muz
Newly Registered

SET(M) Form

Post by Muz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:57 pm

Hi Casa,

Thanks a lot. I have got everything in order. I have filled the form that I managed to find and I will just go tomorrow with my wife and daughter.

Do you think I can request them for a latest form if the one I have filled is an older version without losing my application fee.

Just for my peace of mind here is a list of the documents I am taking

1) SET (M) Form Version 07/2010
2) 2 Recent Photographs of mine
3) 1 Recent Photograph of my wife

Proof of Cohabitation
--------------------
4) 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Electricity Bills in my name with first page photocopies of each.
5) 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Gas Bills in my name with first page photocopies of each.
6) 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Bank Statements in my name with first page photocopies of each.

7) 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Water Bills in my spouses name with first page photocopies of each.
8)2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Annual Mortgage Statement in my spouses name with first page photocopies of each.
9)2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Bank Statements in my spouses name with first page photocopies of each.

Financial Documents
------------------------
10)Last 3 months bank statements of my self
11)Last 3 months bank statements of my spouse
12)My 20006-07, 2007-08 P60
13)My 2009 Tax Return (Self Employed)
14)Self Assessment Statement with advance tax paid for the next tax return.
15)Company Bank Statement (Now Own a Company)

16) Life In the UK Test [UPDATED Thanks to fruithoney]

I have a joint council tax statements however I did receive council tax benefits earlier this year when my business had gone into losses and I had to have a major operation for a spinal tumour. I have bounced back now and cancelled the councilt tax benefit. My wife who is british had applied for the Countil Tax Benefit in her name. Hence, I do not want to complicate things and am thinking its best not to include them.

I can put many more documents however I think there is already proof that we are in a genuine relationship and have lived together for more then 4 years.
We own a house and we have a child together. I have always worked and had to take a short break and my wife had to claim just housing benefit when I was under going treatment to have the tumour removed.

Hope to get some replies soon.

Cheers
Last edited by Muz on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fruithoney
Newly Registered

Post by fruithoney » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:18 pm

hi don't forget to bring your life in the uk certificate.

aslo i thought you only need to prove everything up to the last 2 years, so you might not need to provide 2007-2008 documents. I have been told before by adviser that you only need to provide what you asked for.

good luck for tomorrow

Muz
Newly Registered

SET(M) Form

Post by Muz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:20 pm

Thanks a lot for the reminder, I had it on my table and would certainly have forgotten it had you not reminded me.

Any idea on the form I have attached is the version they are accepting now.

Cheers

fruithoney
Newly Registered

Post by fruithoney » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:40 pm

i think thats the up to date one as that is the only one on the home office website

fruithoney
Newly Registered

Post by fruithoney » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:45 pm

can i also ask you about your finance document for self-employment?

I have difficulty to prove my partner's income as his is self-emplyed. more details please read http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=65109

If you can give me some advise as you are self- emloyed as well.

Thanks in advance

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:11 am

Hope it's all gone well for you today Muz. Sorry...I lost my internet connection last night!

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 am

For paper form:

1. Go to How to apply for settlement in the UK webpage.
2. Click on "Completing form SET(M)" link on the right side of the webpage.
3. Click on "Apply for SET(M)" link on the top right side of the webpage.
4. Click on "Download" link on the bottom of the webpage.
5. Click on "paper form" link (end of sentence, point 1).
6. Click on "Download paper form".

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:04 pm

Thanks. Nice of them to make it so easy! Does your 'form finder' option on the left hand side work? It doesn't for me. :?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:22 pm

Casa wrote:Does your 'form finder' option on the left hand side work?
Yes (for me). Brings me to step 4 (above) if I choose to apply for settlement.

regards

Muz
Newly Registered

SET(M) ILR Success

Post by Muz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:52 pm

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for all the help, I can confirm I was granted ILR at the Croydon PEO.

I had an appointment for 9:00 am. I was supposed to reach at 8:30. As usual I was very late. We( myself, wife and daughter) left home at 8:05 am. Unfortunately my 3 yr old daughter was sick in the cab (luckily had a sick bag).

We reached the home office at 10:00. After the usual airport style security. We had the forms checked. I requested the lady at the counter to confirm the form was the correct version. I was thappy to find it was the latest version. I was then asked what time my appointment was and I told them I was late by more then an hour. I also explained about my daughter being sick. The lady said she will see if she can reschedule me. I was lucky to be rescheduled the same day at 10:30 am, which was in 10 minutes from that time.

After the form was validated and stamped we proceeded to the first floor and made the payment, I had to speak to some one from my bank to authorise the payment. We were asked to proceed to the second floor.

After waiting at the second floor for an hour I asked one of the case workers why I was still waiting, on checking they realised they had sent me to the wrong floor and asked me to go to the first floor the officer was waiting for me.

We immediately went to the counter number they told us to reach on the first floor and found the officer on the counter quite upset that she was waiting for me for 30 minutes. I apologised and explained how the woman who processed our payment directed us to the 2nd floor.

The officer asked for all the documents and she was preparing to photocopy them when she realised I had attached photocopies for her for all the documents and that cheered her up. She only had to copy my Self Assessment Statement from HM Revenue.

The officer looked puzzled when she realised my spouse visa had run out 2 years ago, at that point I explained I had applied for futher leaver to remain because I had not passed the Life in the UK.

She told me she will grant me ILR and asked me to collect it in an hour. We went out bought some clothes for my daughter and had lunch. At 1:30 we were back and found the passport ready with the ILR.

Life in the UK Test score was 22/24.

Thanks again for all the help and tomorrow I will start my naturalisation application. Some of you might say I need to wait for 1 year after ILR, however if you read the requirements for naturalisation as a spouse carefully you will find the following:

The three years of the residency requirement are counted from the date your naturalization application is received by the Home Office.

Further details on residency requirements are as follows:

1. You must have been living in the United Kingdom at the beginning of the three- year period; and
2. On the date that your application is received in the Home Office, you must have permanent residence/ ILR in the UK; and
3.During the three-year period you must not have been outside the UK for more than 270 days (approximately 9 months); and
4.During the last 12 months of the three-year period you must not have been outside the UK for more than 90 days; and
5.You must not have been in breach of any UK immigration rules at any time during this three-year period of residence in the UK.

Cheers
Last edited by Muz on Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muz
Newly Registered

SET(M) Form

Post by Muz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:53 pm

Casa wrote:Hope it's all gone well for you today Muz. Sorry...I lost my internet connection last night!
Thats all right Casa, thanks a lot. I am thankful to everyone for being kind and supportive.

Muz
Newly Registered

SET(M) Form

Post by Muz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:58 pm

sushdmehta wrote:For paper form:

1. Go to How to apply for settlement in the UK webpage.
2. Click on "Completing form SET(M)" link on the right side of the webpage.
3. Click on "Apply for SET(M)" link on the top right side of the webpage.
4. Click on "Download" link on the bottom of the webpage.
5. Click on "paper form" link (end of sentence, point 1).
6. Click on "Download paper form".
Thanks sushdmehta, I can see the small link now. It sure shows how used to we can get to be looking for some link that stands out. Perhaps their usability consutant should consider emphasising the link.

manutd666

Post by manutd666 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:23 pm

I think some people are struggling with this because the online application doesn’t work yet? With any internet browser, for instance it wouldn’t work with google chrome but worked just fine with internet explorer.

What I don’t seem to get though, is whether you can use the online application form now or do you have to wait for the 28 days rule?
In my case my wife will be applying for her Irl using the (SET m) form on 01 November, we have already booked the appointment at Liverpool PEO, her current visa expires on 27 November 2010 (therefore she is entitled to apply for settlement from 31 October 2010). Knowing that the fees for the Irl will increase in November, If I am not wrong I believe we can just use the online application form and pay the current fees, as by using that service (online payment) we are not actually applying for the settlement but just paying the fee and fill-in the form, therefore we don’t need to wait 28 days prior to use the online payment.
Or maybe I am missing something and I have got it all wrong

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:28 pm

manutd666 wrote:her current visa expires on 27 November 2010 (therefore she is entitled to apply for settlement from 31 October 2010).
When does become eligible to apply for ILR depends on date of entry in UK on a spouse visa (when visa was granted overseas) or the date of issue of spouse visa (when application for spouse visa was made within the UK).

So, what is the issue date on the spouse visa? And was the spouse visa applied from within the UK or from outside the UK? If from outside, when did your spouse enter UK on spouse visa?

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manutd666

Post by manutd666 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:40 pm

sushdmehta wrote:manutd666, what is the issue date on the spouse visa? And was the spouse visa applied from within the UK or from outside the UK? If from outside, when did your spouse enter UK on spouse visa?

regards
Spouse entered the UK on 2004 as a student

We got married in 2008

She had her marriage visa in November 2008 (expires on 27 November 2010)

So she was already in the UK when she had her spouse visa.
Under the 28 days rule I believe she is entitled to apply for settlement from 31 October 2010
Now what I want to know is if we can use this online form now and pay the fee now (before the 28 days) , as we are not applying for settlement but just fill-in in the form and making the payment.

The reason I am asking this: if we pay the fees now we will be saving around £200 :lol:

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:47 pm

Expiry date of the visa may have no relevance as the 28 days rule has nothing to do with visa expiry date. Please share visa issue date, if you can.

You'll need to pay the fees applicable on the day the application is submitted at the PEO.

regards

manutd666

Post by manutd666 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:02 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Expiry date of the visa may have no relevance as the 28 days rule has nothing to do with visa expiry date. Please share visa issue date, if you can.

You'll need to pay the fees applicable on the day the application is submitted at the PEO.

regards
Issued on 27 November 2008
Expires on 27 November 2010

lesley15

Post by lesley15 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:25 pm

Hi, i understand what you are saying as we too are in the same situation.My husband came to the uk on the 7th December 2008 which means the earliest we can apply for his ILR is 9th November 2010.We have booked our appointment for 11th November 2010 which is just within the 28 day peroid,now according to the application having to be done on-line and has to be sent at least 2 days before this will mean we are sending our application and payment before the 28 day rule ie 7th or 8th November,will this still be ok even though we are actually going on the 11th.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:24 pm

manutd666 wrote:Issued on 27 November 2008
Expires on 27 November 2010
Aaahhhh! :(

regards