ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

any one from Edinburgh?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

zee_aziz
- thin ice -

any one from Edinburgh?

Post by zee_aziz » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:57 am

is there any one from Edinburgh ,i need some information and advise please?
1.what is mid Lothian and other Lothian?
2. is Edinburgh city is mid Lothian?
3. local news paper?
4.private rented accommodation?
5. which area Asian like Indian and Pakistani lives?
6.job prospectus?

please help

Louby Lou
Newly Registered

Post by Louby Lou » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:05 pm

1. It is a bit complicated and relates to the time when Lothian Region administered the whole area. I live in Edinburgh City and often receive mail which says Midlothian. Midlothian is actually a separate district whose centre is Dalkeith. East Lothian stretches down the coast with Haddington as its centre and West Lothian is obviously West of the city and has Livingston as it's administrative hub. I generally just put Lothian if it is required in a form.
2. The local Newspaper is the Edinburgh Evening News and we receive a freesheet called the Herald and Post once a week.
3. Not sure how to advise on rented accomm. Gumtree may be a starting point, or The List (magazine) or there are many letting agents in the city.
4. The area around the university is fairly multicultural. This would be called Southside. Also Leith which is probably cheaper.
5. Employment- I'm not sure exactly how to answer. Edinburgh has fairly high employment rates but is obviously affected by recession as any other city. It would depend what type of employment.
Hope this helps.