ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NEW FEE for Set M

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

fandango
Newly Registered

NEW FEE for Set M

Post by fandango » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:02 am

Dear all
I have unfortunately become rather knowledgeable with all this. My story is I married my Israeli husband, he got a spouse visa Entry Clearance and on Thursday 4th November we will be applying in Sheffield PEO with our Set M form and (lots, probably too many!) documents.
I have rung today (and a million times) to the Home Office and I have been informed that on Monday 1 November the fee for Set M will go up to £1250. This is a shame. I was hoping it would remain at £1095 but alas.
There will be a new form to print off which you HAVE to submit. I will get my banker's draft on Monday/Tuesday now then. Wish me luck, though we are genuine etc etc, I still feel under interrogation and not looking forward to it at all.
Kind regards, JO

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Post by juliajules1979 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:08 am

Hiya Jo

Best of luck. That is such a shame about the fee going up. My husband is due to apply Jan 2011. I know what you mean about feeling under interrogation, I cant wait for it all to be over!
Could I ask you what documents you will be submitting. I have lots also but just to check I am on the right lines it would be great to hear what docs you have.
Many thanks

fandango
Newly Registered

Post by fandango » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:26 am

Hi Julia
well, I have a huge folder
both our passports (copied pages)
Life in the UK test
numerous letters over two years in joint and single names
All our pay slips for two years
All bank statements for two years
Other documents, ie husband's driving licence, electrician qualifications gained in the two years.
letter from my mum stating we lived with her for 6 months whilst finding our feet
Mortgage letter
I don't have the file in front of me but that is pretty much it
What about you? What do you have?
I am expecting my first child on 2nd January and so at the moment my brain doesn't feel like it works 100% sadly. but I think I have pretty much got it all together now...(fingers crossed).
I nearly (nearly!) thought out appointment was going to be January, right near the baby's due date but then realised that he entered 17th November 2008 which means we can apply now. I am so glad I found that out. Still stressful but not as much as with a new baby... :-)

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Post by juliajules1979 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:03 pm

Hiya

Thanks so much for your reply. Wow a new baby thats great bet you are so excited. Do you know if its a girl or boy?
I have docs such as Tax office letters, college letters, doctors letters. We live with my parents still so we dont have bills etc. But I have lots of letters to us separately. I will also include a letter from my parents explaining we have lived with them.
I really cant wait for it to all be over it has been stressful being under scrutiny for the last 2 years!!

fandango
Newly Registered

Post by fandango » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 pm

yes it is stressful, really horrible.
I pray mine goes well on Thursday!

We are having a little boy :D

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Post by juliajules1979 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:47 pm

Thats lovely a little boy. Well I hope thurday goes well for you also, please write and let me know how it went.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Good luck with it - and Shabbat Shalom!
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

fandango
Newly Registered

Post by fandango » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:14 pm

haha, Shabbat Shalom my friend :D

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:35 pm

Dearly beloved is Israeli, too, but fortunately for us he is also a British citizen by descent. So a lot of trouble avoided!
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

claudiafan

Re: NEW FEE for Set M

Post by claudiafan » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:25 pm

fandango wrote:Dear all
I have unfortunately become rather knowledgeable with all this. My story is I married my Israeli husband, he got a spouse visa Entry Clearance and on Thursday 4th November we will be applying in Sheffield PEO with our Set M form and (lots, probably too many!) documents.
I have rung today (and a million times) to the Home Office and I have been informed that on Monday 1 November the fee for Set M will go up to £1250. This is a shame. I was hoping it would remain at £1095 but alas.
There will be a new form to print off which you HAVE to submit. I will get my banker's draft on Monday/Tuesday now then. Wish me luck, though we are genuine etc etc, I still feel under interrogation and not looking forward to it at all.
Kind regards, JO
I would presume that new fees will go up for ILR Set(O) too. I am going to PEO next month and feeling under interrogation totally!

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:32 pm

claudiafan

Post by claudiafan » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:56 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Fees to be Implemented from November 2010 (Page 4-5).
Thanks Sushdmehta! I am still waiting for the actual date for these fees take effect on. Lets wait and see...

John

Post by John » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:06 pm

I will get my banker's draft on Monday/Tuesday now then.
You are mentioning a fee of £1250 and talking about a banker's draft. I query ... does that work .... if you want a same-day service? Won't the PEO insist upon waiting for the banker's draft to clear ..... so you won't get a same-day service?

Whilst not accusing you personally of doing anything naughty, it is not unknown for banker's drafts to be forged .... so why would UKBA not want to wait until it has cleared?

Other opinions very welcome.
John

gazza1990
Newly Registered

Post by gazza1990 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:38 am

I have been checking the home office site daily. There is no real mention of this apart from the obscure link already in this thread.

I do however know this to be true as they also mentioned the new form and fee on the phone to me.

My wife has her appointment on the 8th. This is pretty poor. Do they really expect people to fill it out on the morning? They should have the new form on the website.

John

Post by John » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:20 am

Do they really expect people to fill it out on the morning?
Well no, I don't think they do. They hope people will fill in the form online, and pay online, and anyone doing that today will, it seems, pay at the old rate.
John

claudiafan

Post by claudiafan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:29 am

John wrote:
Do they really expect people to fill it out on the morning?
Well no, I don't think they do. They hope people will fill in the form online, and pay online, and anyone doing that today will, it seems, pay at the old rate.
There are people out there booked appointments in Nov but not sure if they can pay on line. Due to the 28 day rule, applications can't be submitted prior to 28 days before eligibility. If people pay now on line, does it mean the application submitted earlier than 28 days?

lesley15

Post by lesley15 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:49 am

Hi my application will have to be submitted on line before the 28 day rule because my husband entered the uk on the 7th December 2008 so can apply 9th November 2010.We booked our appointment for the 11th November 2010,now because we have to submit application and payment on line at least 2 working days before we will have to do this around the 7th-8th November,i believe because we are not actually going till the 11th this will be ok.Have no choice really as we had booked the appointment before they brought in the on-line application.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:06 am

lesley15 wrote:Hi my application will have to be submitted on line before the 28 day rule because my husband entered the uk on the 7th December 2008 so can apply 9th November 2010.
Apply by post if your husband's current leave is due to expire before he completes 2 years in the UK. Even if you apply in-person the application will put on hold and you may end up paying extra money for the same postal processing timelines.
Applying to settle here if you delayed your entry to the UK wrote:If you were given permission to enter the UK as a husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried/same-sex partner but you then delayed your travel to the UK by up to three months, you can apply to live here permanently using application form SET(M) shortly before your permission to enter ends. As long as you meet the other requirements of the rules, we will put your application on hold until you have completed your two-year qualifying period in the UK.

regards

lesley15

Post by lesley15 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:22 am

Oh, wonder what that means???
I think there are a lot of teething probs with this new on-line system,we had booked ours to go in person before they brought this in otherwise i would have booked a later date as i am fully aware of the 28day rule same as if i had been posting it ,i wouldn't have posted it before i was allowed to.
What do you think we should do? they say payment and form should be submitted at least 2 days before you go.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:29 am

claudiafan wrote:If people pay now on line, does it mean the application submitted earlier than 28 days?
The date of payment for an in-country application is not the date of application. And UKBA has not published anything to suggest so prior to / after launching the online payment service.
Specified forms and procedures wrote:13.1 For the purposes of these rules, the date on which an application (or a variation) is made is the date of posting for postal applications, the date of acceptance by a public enquiry office for applications submitted in person or the date of delivery to the UK Border Agency if sent by courier.
If using SCS, I guess the date of application will be the date of receipt of application by UKBA (as is the case for naturalisation applications routed through NCS).

"The date of your application is the date when your application fee is paid" - applies only to EC applications (applications made at overseas British diplomatic posts) until such time that UKBA advises any differently.

regards

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:14 pm

lesley15 wrote:Oh, wonder what that means???
I think there are a lot of teething probs with this new on-line system,we had booked ours to go in person before they brought this in otherwise i would have booked a later date as i am fully aware of the 28day rule same as if i had been posting it ,i wouldn't have posted it before i was allowed to.
What do you think we should do? they say payment and form should be submitted at least 2 days before you go.
Paying online is not mandatory, as you'll note if you read the instructions carefully.

regards

lesley15

Post by lesley15 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:11 pm

Ok thank-you

claudiafan

Post by claudiafan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:40 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
claudiafan wrote:If people pay now on line, does it mean the application submitted earlier than 28 days?
The date of payment for an in-country application is not the date of application. And UKBA has not published anything to suggest so prior to / after launching the online payment service.
Well lets put it this way. My appointment is on 23 Nov, so can i pay on line now? What about if there is further application form changes happening shortly? To be on the safe side, we'd better wait until the appointment comes and if the fees are raised, lets face it. Do the lastest paper form, pay at the PEO on the day and no hassles. There is no escapes.

manutd666

Post by manutd666 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:45 pm

Afternoon everyone,

As I promised, I am keeping you updated with how things went.
To summaries:
Wife entered the UK as student on 22/02/2004
We got married in September 2008
Got the FLR on 27/11/2008
Booked appointment at Liverpool PEO 19/09/2010 for 01/11/2010
Filled in the online application form and made the payment online on 27/10/2010*
• note that was before my 28 days period starts as it started on 31/10/2010

anyway our appointment was at 11:00 am, we got there round 9:45 am, we first went through airport style security check , after that we showed our appointment letter at a small reception desk, in fact I didn’t even need to do that as I was getting her the letter she just asked for the name then said it’s fine and directed us to a room and gave us a ticket number.

In that room, a very rude and incompetent woman (I will explain why later on) checked our documents, she seemed to struggle when she seen we have done the application form online and she had to ask her colleague (especially about the payment) she then asked for both our passports and life in the uk sheet (my wife got only one wrong), she then took the ticket number we have had from the reception and gave us another sheet with a number on it. (she didn’t check the form, just looked at it didn’t even go through it ). Anyway that took about 5 mins, she then asked us to go to the first floor at the payment desk then wait for our number to be called ( the number was on the sheet she gave us).
At the point my wife started stressing about the payment, saying why do we need to go to the desk and we done it online etc… before I try to calm her down or reassure her we was at the front of that desk. The nice woman took only the first page of the application form (where it had the payment details) she was pleased that we have done it online and even thanked us for saving her time, she asked us to wait few minutes just to get something printed out, then she gave us a receipt and asked us to take a seat and wait for our number to be called out

I have to say this was the hardest bit! waiting!!!, as we arrived early and everything seemed to go smoothly, we assumed that we would get to see the case worker before our appointment ( 11:00am) we were sat at the waiting room since 10:00 am, so we had about an hour to do nothing but stress :D, anyway around 11:01am the case worker called our number. She seemed nice and very young :lol: anyway she asked us for the application form and the documents: we gave her the application form, the payment receipt, both passports, 2 photographs of my wife and one of me and the life in the uk test.
She looked at them, then asked us documents that prove we been living together. I said to her we have them sorted, a pile contains documents with both our names on, another one with our names separate and a backup one with more documents, she told us to give her with both our names on and if she needed more she would tell us.
So we gave have these documents: (all in joint names)

• Bank statement Nov 2008
• Tax credit letter July 2009
• Npwoer letter December 2009
• United utilities letter February 2010
• HM revenue and custom letter may 2010
• A receipt that we got with an order we made through Amazonco.uk June 2010
• Npower letter September 2010

She was writing and ticking ( a sheet she had) as she was going through those documents. She then asked us if we had anything between January 2009 and May 2009, we said yes but not in joint names, she said yes that’s absolutely fine, and she only wanted two ( one of each name), so we gave her
• A HSBC letter April 2009 on my name
• Hasting direct insurance March 2009 on my wife’s name

At the point she told us she has everything she needed and she only need to do the boring bit and putting everything in her computer, I also told her that I have all the photocopies, she said that would help and took a photocopy of each documents we gave her (both passports, life in the uk and the documents mentioned above, we were surprised that we didn’t even need to show any bank statement or wage slips). While she was on her computed typing, me and wife were just chatting and joking about ( I don’t know if that was due to stress or we actually forgot where we were ), we were arguing where we should go and eat, at the point the case worker, started laughing and told her she wish she had a day off as she was starving and suggested a place ( her favourite restaurant) we went there and it was GREAT!, that’s just to show it was very relaxed and informal.
After few minutes she told her, she’s done, she has to wait for more checks to be done downstairs (whatever that means) but everything seems to be fine however she cannot give us the approval until those checks are done and she gave us all the documents back apart from my wife's passport, the photographs and the photocopies obviously.

We took a seat in waiting room, at that point my wife started stressing again after about 15 minutes the case worker called us and told us that everything was fine and she is going to grant the IRL ( to be honest I didn’t pay attention to what she was saying after that…) I just asked her if we could go out and comeback to pick up the passport, she said that’s fine it should take around 45 minutes but we didn’t have to come back here ( first floor) we just need to go downstairs where we had our documents first checked ( the rude incompetent lady remember? ).
Anyway we thanked her and we left the building, I did double check with the receptionist and she told us, that when we comeback we just go to that room straightaway no need to sign in at the reception.

Anyway after about an hour, walking in Liverpool One and finalising the AN form (as we were sending the application form for British citizenship the same day) we went to an Apple shop to check the UKBA website ( for any changes regarding the AN form or the fees, everything was the same).

We then went back to the building, went through security again and walked in in that room, we took a sit, the woman looked at us, then another person walked in, she called his number, and bloody hell she was soooo bloody rude to him, type of person I hate my job and hate emigrants, just attitude (it was something wrong with that’s person’s passport but the way she was talking to him :shock:
She then called our number, gave us the passport (not even a smile or anything like that) I then asked her does this IRL has a UKBA number or reference number, she just didn’t bother reply had to ask her again and she didn’t seem to know what I was on about. But it gets worse!!! At that point we sat in that room, sorting the documents for the AN form (putting everything together, documents needed etc…) she then told us (shouting actually) that we cannot apply for naturalisation today, I said to her I am sure we can as I am British citizen and my wife has been in the UK for over 3 years, we don’t need to wait for 12 months, she replied back to me saying : you are wrong you have to wait 12 months regardless. At that point my wife started stressing I told her not to worry I am sure she is wrong, let’s just leave and phone the Citizenship department, after waiting over 20mins on the phone we managed to speak to them who confirmed to us that it was fine to send the application form today in our case. I was fuming!!!! We posted the letter, but I didn’t want to let it go, we went to cyber café ( my wife just wanted us to leave it, but I couldn’t) I printed the page where it states that we didn’t have to wait for a year. Went back to the building and to that room (where she was), she seemed surprised to see us ( as we had the passport etc…) before she opened her mouth, I gave her that paper I printed and told her : “You were wrong and next time get your facts right before you give false informationâ€

fandango
Newly Registered

Post by fandango » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:55 pm

Congratulations, I am very pleased to hear your result.
Well done :)