ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

working for same employer after getting tier 1

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

swati

working for same employer after getting tier 1

Post by swati » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:50 am

Hi,

After I get my Tier 1, if my employer wants me to work in their UK office, can I continue working for them?

Is there some minimum salary they have to pay if I am in UK?

push

Re: working for same employer after getting tier 1

Post by push » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:04 am

swati wrote:Hi,

After I get my Tier 1, if my employer wants me to work in their UK office, can I continue working for them?
Yes you can
swati wrote:Is there some minimum salary they have to pay if I am in UK?
Ya it is the minimum statutory wage that they need to pay which works out to £5.93 an hour - not sure if that will make you happy though.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

blue.olive

Re: working for same employer after getting tier 1

Post by blue.olive » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:06 am

swati wrote:Hi,

Is there some minimum salary they have to pay if I am in UK?
Yes you can work in / for a foreign company in uk

At least minimum wage , but as u r highly skill immignt, your salary should be according to your skills to save u from future prlms forecasted in near future

Olive

swati

Post by swati » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:44 am

if they are paying the min wage will it be 5.93x 8 hrs x no of working days in a month or else for 30 days?

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Post by aspirant99 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:05 pm

swati wrote:if they are paying the min wage will it be 5.93x 8 hrs x no of working days in a month or else for 30 days?
Since it is not a case of per diem therfore it should not be for 30 days..It should be number of working days but please keep in mind that it is the min that they should pay you...which i guess is way too low...

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:32 pm

Just a general note to all - Tier 1 holders are not given the visa to come to the UK and work for anything close to the minimum wage :shock:

The entire concept of Tier 1 Skilled Visas is for 'Skilled' workers to come to the UK and fill employment requirements not met by the local populace. By doing so, skilled workers must demand a decent salary which is definitely above the average salary in the given domain of work.
No employer too will go so low as just pay the minimum wage and honestly, if a Tier 1 holder is ready to accept such a wage then the UKBA must seriously revisit the rules for issuing Tier 1 visas

KP

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:56 pm

Fully agreed. Also remember that the maximum number of points that you can score with earning minimum wage (or even up to double that) is 85 (although I seriously believe that with any wage below 30k, you will probably struggle to maintain your maintenance funds).

Minimum wage works out to less than 12 000 GBP and even double that is still 24 000 GBP - you earn NO points for that.

You will not only disadvantage yourself by working for a low wage, but you will also further damage the reputation of Tier 1 visa applicants.

If you have a PhD and you are still under 30 (maximum amount of points excluding earnings), you need to earn a minimum of £30,000 in order to retain your Tier 1 visa (Age = 20 points; Qualifications = 45; UK Exp = 5; English = 10; Maint = 10). The older and less qualified you are, the more you need to earn to make up the points - I am just illustrating what the "real" minimum is you need to earn. For reference, that works out to somewhere in the region of £16 and £17 per hour - way above the minimum wage.

If you are thinking of going over and accepting as little as possible - don't. You will not do yourself or anyone else applying for Tier 1 visas any justice.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:15 pm

Well said!!! And let me substantiate further

For those who are only coming for 2years to the UK to make money then anything less than £40k, as a bare minimum, is a waste of your time. There is absolutely no point coming on a Tier 1 and taking a job below £30k because if you think you can jump next year, chances of getting your salary above £40k is difficult as employers wont give such a big raise.

For those coming here to settle down and thinking of extending visas, then the previous post says it all really.

I'm quite surprised that people still think coming here and earning a low wage for 2years, living in pathetic conditions will help them save some money. What they forget is that in those 2 years, they would have literally led a poor lifestyle, hardly ever enjoying it here and only making up the money they spent for the actual Tier 1 visa and the flight tickets.

The net effect is almost ZERO so there is really no point of it all

KP

gotiya
Newly Registered

Post by gotiya » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:01 pm

kenfrapin wrote: if a Tier 1 holder is ready to accept such a wage then the UKBA must seriously revisit the rules for issuing Tier 1 visas

KP
The only time UKBA would... "seriously revisit the rules" (of fee structure)...... is when the "Tier 1"..... money-spinner would generate less income. Am i bovvered with the "Tier 1" holder..... of what crap jobs he/she takes up once in UK. Employers are not gonna be coerced by the salary demands of Tier 1 holders... take or leave .. what i give.

swati

Post by swati » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:17 pm

Hey Guys wait, I was asking this because I felt if I land in the UK with a job in hand, I would be earning something till I find a good job that matches Tier 1 standards and I am sure you all will agree something is better than nothing in the initial 1-2 months...

Definitely I too wanna live a good life there and save good amount for my future at the same time....

And obviously in no condition I'll accept a below average salary.
Anyways thanks for all your thoughts!!

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Post by aspirant99 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:58 pm

swati wrote:Hey Guys wait, I was asking this because I felt if I land in the UK with a job in hand, I would be earning something till I find a good job that matches Tier 1 standards and I am sure you all will agree something is better than nothing in the initial 1-2 months...

Definitely I too wanna live a good life there and save good amount for my future at the same time....

And obviously in no condition I'll accept a below average salary.
Anyways thanks for all your thoughts!!
Agreed, its always better to have something in hand rather than nothing...as long as you have a plan to get a job that is to your liking and pays you well , i guess you should be ok...all the best for your future!!