ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Patience Paid off - Got the Job; My Experience & few tip

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

npanglia

Patience Paid off - Got the Job; My Experience & few tip

Post by npanglia » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Just wanted to share the news that I have secured a permanent job in London.

Here is my story which might work as a reference for others and help them.

Facts:
Got tier-1 visa in May’2010.
Arrived in UK in First week of Sept, 2010

Background:
I have already worked in London with a leading investment bank through my previous company for 1.5 years. And as of today have 4.5 years of experience towards process excellence & re-engineering (Lean Six Sigma)

Pre-Planning
Coming to UK was in my radar for last 6 months, hence I started preparing by getting the relevant certifications within my CV.(This really helped me a lot)
When I decided my travel date, I got myself a SKYPE no. almost 3-4 weeks (Calls forwarded to India No.) prior to date of travel and floated my CV within relevant websites like Monster, City Jobs etc (I mainly sticked to these two, however I recommend IT folks to research on the job sites which are more appropriate/suitable to them)

Job Search Experience
Overall if I have to describe my job search experience it was “ Thrilling, Depressing, Frustating, Competitive, Learning .. I can go on – A bag full of many contradicting emotionsâ€

dev106
BANNED

Post by dev106 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:30 pm

congrats for your new job mate..you are simply superbbbbb...your message is going to cheer up many people across this forum..

I wish you have a very happy and prosperous life ahead my friend..:-)

t1s2010
Member of Standing

Post by t1s2010 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:11 am

I loved the way, you wrote your story. Enjoyed reading it.
Heartily congratulations to you.

HIGHLIGHT for me is 'October' which is close to end of year month and jobs are hard to find. And now you have three jobs to choose from.

I will be coming in month of Jan or starting Feb. I will surely contact you early next year.
Please keep your excel/email/doc/contact-list safe. :)

Stay with people who motivates you, not with those who just be critical about everything – I have seen many in this portal… Analyse what they say but don’t follow them blindly.
Well!!! :lol: good one.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:54 am

Congrats npanglia and kudos to your well informed way of staying at it, following up leads and not giving up. Your skillset is what helped you get so many offers quickly so you need to gauge that as a key factor in being successful quickly - 2yrs in Investment Banking in Process Excellence and that too in the UK itself is great and more than enough to get agents interested to look at you and finally get decent jobs which you have done

You will do well in the future so welcome to English life and English work culture - much much better than most places in the world :-)

Regarding your post, the one thing I do not agree with completely is meeting recruitment consultants over a beer or coffee because there is seriously nothing much they can do for you - if you are good they realize it when they first speak to you, if your bad as well they realize it when they first speak to you. Being chummy with recruitment consultants is slightly over the top but then if it worked for you, who am I say anything different!

All the best
KP

wunder
Member of Standing

Re: Patience Paid off - Got the Job; My Experience & few

Post by wunder » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:51 am

Congratulations, npanglia!

I should point out though that you had quite a few advantages over typical first time job seeker from abroad:
- previous experience working in London in financial industry
- Six Sigma experience
npanglia wrote:Market is neither bad nor good.
I hate to be a party pooper, but the market is bad (and will be much worse next year) - no doubt about it. Of course you can always get by if like original poster you have exceptional skills - but majority of people won't have that.
npanglia wrote:Meet as many consultants as possible.
I'd say meeting recruitment consultants personally is a total waste of time - it certainly is if you are in IT.
npanglia wrote:Networking is the key to success in this country.
Indeed. However networking generally does not include recruiters - only personal contacts.
t1s2010 wrote:HIGHLIGHT for me is 'October' which is close to end of year month and jobs are hard to find.
October is probably the best month to search for a new job in UK.

twister

Post by twister » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:02 am

Congratulations to the OP!
t1s2010 wrote:HIGHLIGHT for me is 'October' which is close to end of year month and jobs are hard to find.
October is probably the best month to search for a new job in UK.[/quote]

I have noticed that too, any particular reason?

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:32 am

- no holiday season
- no bank holidays
- time when many companies approve new recruitment budgets

prisat
Member of Standing

Post by prisat » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:35 pm

Thumbs Up man !!!!! Congrats
Disclaimer :

I am not from a law firm or an attorney who provide Consultation for Immigration to UK.
Information that i provide is not the same as legal advice or legal advises. Use the message (s) and information at your own risk.

Nalan_T
Newly Registered

Post by Nalan_T » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:02 pm

Congrats npanglia..

Can you please let me know, how can we attend calls from India..(as you said, by using Skype u had attend the interviews from India)...

Deeone

Post by Deeone » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:27 pm

commnents from individual on this forum does motivates me a lot; Can anyone offer advise on how I can get to consultanc, Business analyst or project management certification like PMP ? because I was told I can not do PMP now due to the fact I have not got enough experience

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Post by aspirant99 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:09 pm

[quote="npanglia"]Just wanted to share the news that I have secured a permanent job in London.

Facts:

Background:
I have already worked in London with a leading investment bank through my previous company for 1.5 years. And as of today have 4.5 years of experience towards process excellence & re-engineering (Lean Six Sigma)

Pre-Planning
Coming to UK was in my radar for last 6 months, hence I started preparing by getting the relevant certifications within my CV.(This really helped me a lot)
When I decided my travel date, I got myself a SKYPE no. almost 3-4 weeks (Calls forwarded to India No.) prior to date of travel and floated my CV within relevant websites like Monster, City Jobs etc (I mainly sticked to these two, however I recommend IT folks to research on the job sites which are more appropriate/suitable to them)

Job Search Experience
Overall if I have to describe my job search experience it was “ Thrilling, Depressing, Frustating, Competitive, Learning .. I can go on – A bag full of many contradicting emotionsâ€

bani

Post by bani » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:06 am

Congratulations, npanglia!

I really liked your post, it is encouraging to me (currently jobhunting though we are in different fields) and I'm sure to a lot of people. It is important to stay positive, and as you say, stick with people who motivate you.

Eliza2010
Newly Registered

Post by Eliza2010 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:15 am

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this
post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.
Great information put together well

Option Poppers

lulaw
Newly Registered

Post by lulaw » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:02 pm

npanglia wrote:Just wanted to share the news that I have secured a permanent job in London.

Facts:

Background:

Pre-Planning

[/b]
Thanks for detail. Please I need your assistance in the area of address to use on the CV. Since I am not yet in UK, do I live the address part of my CV blank or what do I do? So that they will not know right from beginning that I am not yet in UK.

yashpreet
Newly Registered

Job Opportunities

Post by yashpreet » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:15 pm

Dear npanglia

First of all congrats for your great achievement what you had recieved.

I am also in the same as you were earlier

I got my valid work permit and looking for a job in UK, So request you to please provide me data base of the consultants as you had mentioned and any other advice.

Regards
Yashpreet

arinpun
Newly Registered

Post by arinpun » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:39 pm

[quote]Just wanted to share the news that I have secured a permanent job in London.

Facts:

Background:

Pre-Planning

Job Search Experience

BestOfBest
Newly Registered

FAO npanglia

Post by BestOfBest » Tue May 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Hey npanglia! I hope you're well. I am an MBA graduate from a recognised University in UK. I have been working as a Marketing assistant from past 1 year. I have always wanted to start my career in Investment banking/corporate banking or consultancy. I have 1 year of banking and wealth management experience in India.

I read your post and I thought you might be able to help me connect to my dream job.

Looking forward to hearing from you.