ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Has anyone worked in a Gas station/ Motel on Tier 1?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dhruv

Has anyone worked in a Gas station/ Motel on Tier 1?

Post by dhruv » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:01 pm

Getting a job immediately after landing is an issue and maintaining yourself is a necessity.

I was curious to see if anyone took the alternative route and worked in a gas station/motel to cover up for expenses?

Is it legally allowed?

I appreciate your help

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Re: Has anyone worked in a Gas station/ Motel on Tier 1?

Post by aspirant99 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:59 pm

dhruv wrote:Getting a job immediately after landing is an issue and maintaining yourself is a necessity.

I was curious to see if anyone took the alternative route and worked in a gas station/motel to cover up for expenses?

Is it legally allowed?

I appreciate your help
Yes, it is legally allowed.

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:12 am

It is currently allowed, but might not be in the near future (and in this case it might get you into trouble).

t1s2010
Member of Standing

Post by t1s2010 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:17 am

Dhruv,

If I remember correctly you have your T1 now and might be going to U.K. (say Jan/Feb next year).. so you are good at least till then.

Nyways, you need support for initial few months..
You should be good.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:27 pm

Working in the UK, you need to learn to call it a petrol station or garage, though!
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:35 pm

Another thing to note - it wont be that easy to get any job to get some income till you start.
Main reasons are crazy timings, lots of students taking up such roles and the fact that its winter so fewer jobs. There will be roles in the Services sector though.

Your best bet is to come here with sufficient funds to last you for a min of 3months and, being generous, if you keep £800 to £1000 a month, you should be fine. Anything above this or a temp job will just help you better but best not to depend on such work to sustain you here - if you dont find any then that adds to all other tensions and anxiety attacks you have to go through :-)

KP

dhruv

Post by dhruv » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:26 pm

avjones wrote:Working in the UK, you need to learn to call it a petrol station or garage, though!
Thanks for valuable insight on the American and British cultural aspect. Is motel also called as Motel or it is a HOOTEL

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:29 pm

Well, certainly not motel. I think UK equivalent is bed and breakfast (B&B).

tomkin

Post by tomkin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:56 pm

dhruv wrote: I was curious to see if anyone took the alternative route and worked in a gas station/motel to cover up for expenses?
Nothing against OP but why is India getting so Americanised?

These days everything on media just "rocks" rather then being nice, good, brilliant and so forth.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:01 pm

tomkin wrote:
dhruv wrote: I was curious to see if anyone took the alternative route and worked in a gas station/motel to cover up for expenses?
Nothing against OP but why is India getting so Americanised?

These days everything on media just "rocks" rather then being nice, good, brilliant and so forth.
Honestly British and American influence is almost equal - America has long been the dream destination for the last few generations of youngsters but Europe and Australia is currently the hot favorite

And I havent heard people use American slang too much - of course its lot more than traditional British slang and thats merely because there's so much of it than most Indians wont get what it means unless you are here in person to experience and understand it first :-)

Dhruv must have been to the US of A previously coz most Indians still say hotel and petrol station - there is no concept of Motels or B&Bs back home.

KP