ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen Visa- passport more than 10 years old

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

poshah
Newly Registered

Schengen Visa- passport more than 10 years old

Post by poshah » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Hi ,

I recently saw on the french/austrian embassy sites that schengen visa will not be given for passports older than 10 years. Is that correct?

Even if the passport is valid, can the visa be refused if it is older than 10 years? I have my passport which is valid for 20 years, hence it is still valid.

What is the way out ? To try my luck for schengen or apply for a machine readable passport?

Rgds

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:37 pm

Apply for a new passport from the embassy of your country of citizenship.

regards

poshah
Newly Registered

Post by poshah » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:41 pm

moderators, do I take it that schengen visa is not given for passports older than 10 years?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:08 am

Yes.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:56 pm

NO schengan visa for those with old passports - very few countries issue 20 year passports now - India used to . When you think of it this is common sense really how can you look anything like you did more than 10 years ago.
pennyless

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Wow - 20 years! Canada only issues passports that last 5 years, though they will soon start issuing 10 year passports.

Schengen rules are clear about maximum 10 years. That can likely be worked around if you will be traveling with your EU citizen family member, but it would take a fight.

poshah
Newly Registered

Post by poshah » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi moderators, Now that I need to have new passport issued to me, per the rules for India, a new passport can be issued only if there is less than a year of validity for the existing passport.

My current passport is valid for another 10 years, so do I go for reissue/renewal or addition of pages?

If I request for additional pages, will I get a machine readable passport or not ?

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:26 pm

pennylessinindia wrote:NO schengan visa for those with old passports - very few countries issue 20 year passports now - India used to . When you think of it this is common sense really how can you look anything like you did more than 10 years ago.
I look very similar to my passport from when I was 19 - 13 years older, but not changed!
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:10 am

poshah wrote:Hi moderators, Now that I need to have new passport issued to me, per the rules for India, a new passport can be issued only if there is less than a year of validity for the existing passport.

My current passport is valid for another 10 years, so do I go for reissue/renewal or addition of pages?

If I request for additional pages, will I get a machine readable passport or not ?
My personal suggestion is to apply for new passport just ask for a new one . I have seen folk say before about not applying more than one year before expires . It does not say you can not apply before then.

If only I looked like I did 10 yrs ago !!
pennyless